"Scary Skinny"

Options
2»

Replies

• BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Sounds like what you should do is build some muscle. Then once you gain 10lbs or so (some will be muscle, some will be fat), you can focus on losing fat again. This will hopefully give you are nice round butt, and chest muscles also help give the appearance of more boobs.

But, you'll probably want to build your calories slowly to maintenance. Stay there for a while, 4-6 weeks. THEN think about going into a surplus to gain muscle.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/BusyLady406/view/so-ya-wanna-bulk-475896

ETA: Gaining muscle will give you bigger biceps and triceps making the definition between them easier to see. Same with your lower abs. If you make the muscles bigger they show even with the same amount of fat. It'll give you a bigger, rounder butt. It will also give you bigger thighs but really, that's okay. Bigger pecs seriously = cleavage (it's the only kind I'll ever have).
  • ctenan1205
    Options
    I am exactly the same height as you and weigh about 129-132. I got down to 124 from not eating much at all and working out too much... even though technically, that is not underweight and I've got a lot of muscle, I was actually diagnosed with a restrictive eating disorder and told to gain a bit of weight. For our height we should ideally be in the 130s. I totally understand the desire to be thin, I myself prefer being in the mid 120s, but I know that realistically it's good to have a bit more fat to be healthy. I was, and still am, often cold and my ribs are visible. So from my standpoint, I get how you feel (used to be 190 lbs., I can relate to wanting to never be that heavy again). But you might want to gain a bit of weight for your own health - 1200 calories is not sustainable over time. You need to increase that.

Good luck and I'm here if you need someone!
  • skinnydreams19
    skinnydreams19 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I agree that you need to raise your calories (if 2000 seems too high for you and you're in active most of the day, try 1800. And are you eating back exercise cals?). I'd also recommend focusing more of the strength training than the cardio to achieve the toned, not bony, look.
  • ParisKennedy
    ParisKennedy Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I think you are right. :-) I don't know if I will ever be "good enough". I just don't want to look bony, I want to get more definition and if I need to eat more/ differently to get there, I would like input from those who have seriously researched muscle building and nutrition. I appreciate your kind words! Thanks. We are our own worst critics, aren't we?

to build more muscle you need to eat more (especially protein) and lift heavy. Go to this live thread and read. He is a PT and dietician. He says for you to feel free to ask him questions. He did answer a question this question yesterday though. I hope it helps.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/933325-registered-dietitian-in-tx-here-to-answer-questions
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    If your avatar picture reflects how you're looking right now, I'd say you're doing just fine. I don't think you need to lose any more weight, but I would no call bony or scary skinny. You look quite toned!

I agree. Trim yes, frighteningly skinny no.
  • marcylara
    marcylara Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Wow! I am honored to have so many wonderful bits of wisdom posted! This was more than I anticipated! I appreciate all of the input and love the suggestions. I believe my next move is to switch to paleo and increase my caloric intake. I have been lifting, but not consistantly. When I do lift, though, I "Go Heavy or Go Home" a la Chalean Extreme (Love Chalene!) I just need to dig in and do it. My weakness is my legs and booty, which are heavy and flat, respectively. I feel like I need to do 5x as many leg workouts to get anywhere as with the rest of my body! Anyone who would like to chime in with a beginner but not newbie lifting plan, I would love to check it out! I have to be honest, though, I am not one to be in the gym for 2 hours! Okay, brain trust... Let's see what you can throw at me!

Thank you so much! I am grateful for your advice!

~M
  • RoadsterGirlie
    RoadsterGirlie Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I think you look gorgeous, and you should be proud of what you have accomplished!

People have no clue these days of what a healthy body looks like. To them, curves are rolls of fat, and a healthy diet consists of french fries and sugar soda.

Keep doing what you are doing!
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Wow! I am honored to have so many wonderful bits of wisdom posted! This was more than I anticipated! I appreciate all of the input and love the suggestions. I believe my next move is to switch to paleo and increase my caloric intake. I have been lifting, but not consistantly. When I do lift, though, I "Go Heavy or Go Home" a la Chalean Extreme (Love Chalene!) I just need to dig in and do it. My weakness is my legs and booty, which are heavy and flat, respectively. I feel like I need to do 5x as many leg workouts to get anywhere as with the rest of my body! Anyone who would like to chime in with a beginner but not newbie lifting plan, I would love to check it out! I have to be honest, though, I am not one to be in the gym for 2 hours! Okay, brain trust... Let's see what you can throw at me!

Thank you so much! I am grateful for your advice!

~M

This one:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/560459-stronglifts-5x5-summary

It only takes about 45 minutes. You do squats every day, so yeah, lots of legs and butt.

I like Chalene (did TurboFire last year) but her "heavy" isn't really "heavy".