Hatred of Sounds

Options

Replies

• WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    slurping, loud chewing/chomping, teeth sucking.

these all annoy me.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    down the chalkboard...
  • Queen_JessieA
    Queen_JessieA Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    My family used to think I was just an a-hole for hating the sounds of people eating or breathing. Turns out, they were right, I am one. BUT that condition has a name: Misophonia. Who knew? Do you hate certain sounds/noises? Which ones drive you to the brink of insanity?

http://misophonia.info/symptoms-and-triggers

I totally get it. I hate hearing people eat. It is a mental disorder, isn't it? At least that is what I have read.
  • theCarlton
    theCarlton Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options
    knuckle-popping
    lawn maintenance tools (I know no one likes them, but I have to go somewhere else until they're done 'cause I can't tune them out)

Once, an alarm was going off at a store near my house. It went all night. I lost my mind.

Oddly enough, I have almost no reaction to sudden noises. Shooting ranges - totally fine. Someone jumping out to scare me - no reaction. My sons think it's amazing if they ever get me to jump.
  • mrphil86
    mrphil86 Posts: 2,382 Member
    Options
    lawn maintenance tools (I know no one likes them, but I have to go somewhere else until they're done 'cause I can't tune them out)

I wanted to shoot my maintenance people because they were using a chainsaw to trim hedges.... Yes... a chainsaw.
  • Sharla_G
    Sharla_G Posts: 72
    Options
    When people truly need to clear their throat, but continue to talk with that phlegm rattling around instead.
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    -speaking with no inflection (monotone)
    -repeating of phrases-if a commercial repeats a phone number or website address more than twice, I want to scream
    -car salesmen on the radio- I will never buy a car from Diamond -Mazda in Baton Rouge. Worse commercial ever!
    -any thing high pitched lasting for more than 2 seconds.
    -obnoxious guitar solos-my ex was a guitar player and his practicing after hours has ruined me for life. haha

I'm going to stop now lest people think I'm intolerant.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    It was much worse for me when I was preadolescent. Now, I can control myself, but as a child, I'd ask my friends to eat more quietly. It was awful. The anxiety produced by eating noises was extreme. Now, I can ignore it more easily, and I don't tend to get the rage spikes that I used to.
  • theCarlton
    Options
    It was much worse for me when I was preadolescent. Now, I can control myself, but as a child, I'd ask my friends to eat more quietly. It was awful. The anxiety produced by eating noises was extreme. Now, I can ignore it more easily, and I don't tend to get the rage spikes that I used to.
    I've grown into knowing not to say anything to people I love, unless they're my kids and they're eating with their mouths open. I do have to get up and leave or do something distracting when it's someone else, though.
  • peachfigs
    peachfigs Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    I can't stand the sound of other people eating or drinking. It makes me really agitated and angry.
  • aznsdgrl
    aznsdgrl Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Chewing gum and people who scrape their fork against their teeth while they eat!
  • juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    Options
    Lip smacking juicy sounds when chewing. It's just...ewwww.

I was in a rather confined space the other morning with about 8 other people, and this man, who HAD to be in his mid-60s, and very clean cut and well groomed, was smacking the *kitten* out of his gum. It had to be the single most obnoxious example of the kind of sound that drives me crazy that I have ever heard. I kept looking to see if he had slobber running down his chin or out of the corners of his mouth. :angry:

Worse than nails on a chalkboard to me, and THAT's pretty bad.
  • tweez8976
    tweez8976 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Anything scraping metal...those metal brushes used to remove rust, filing metal, nails on a chalkboard, metal nail files, etc - physically gives me chills and makes me cringe just thinking about it
  • Diary_Queen
    Diary_Queen Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I hate the sound when people eat hard candies or jawbreakers, etc. and they roll it around and let it hit their molars - that ticking sound... or when i can hear someone else swallow spit. I also had when Im eating pickles and my teeth squeak!
  • psych0kitty
    psych0kitty Posts: 313
    Options
    Mouth noises!!!

Especially old people mouth noises. Why are they always making mouth noises??? It's GROSS.

I'm so relieved that this is a real thing. There was never an explanation for the rage that consumes me when I hear my husband smacking or breathing heavily.

OH and my cat has it too. Whenever anyone eats crunchy fruit, like bites into an apple, she FLIPS OUT. I have to cut up my apples now.
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    - Loud semi-trucks and motorcycles
    - Mouth-smacking noises when people eat or talk
    - The whir of fluorescent lights when they are turned on
    - High-pitched squealing or whining
    - Children's programming
  • 257_Lag
    257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    #1 A crying baby. I don't have any kids and this is why. Brutal, I know... but true.

#2 A vacuum cleaner. My mother always vacuumed when she was angry and @ 45 I still relate a vacuum cleaner with anger.
  • carrieliz81
    carrieliz81 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I am mystified by people who cannot breathe silently. I guess because I'm a pretty silent breather, the noisy ones seem obnoxiously loud to me. But they don't seem to notice it! Maybe I'm a noisy breather too but I just can't hear myself?? Dunno.

What drives me completely bonkers is the sound of someone grinding their teeth. ARHRHARHGHGHARHGHG!! The WORST! It makes my own teeth hurt just to hear that! and my skin crawls and my arm hair stands up... I have to put my tongue between my teeth and bite down to reassure myself that my teeth are not scraping together, and it makes me want to scratch up and down on my arms..... a little self-injurious behavior to achieve pain attenuation, anyone?? :-)
  • VitaBailey
    VitaBailey Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Whistling raises my anxiety more than any other pet peeve. If it is happening around me, I will not hear anything else. There have been many times where I had to change my whole supermarket shopping routine just to get away from whistlers. I once had a guy get very aggressive with me in a card store because he was whistling and I asked him to stop. I thought it was a reasonable request because we were in a card store and it's quiet in there. He felt differently. The odd thing is that I can handle whistling in music (like Otis Redding's Dock of the Bay). But the whistling of folks around me is intolerable.
  • theCarlton
    Options
    I hate whistling too.
    Whoever said the sound of fluorescent lighting when it turns on - thanks for the new trigger :wink: :drinker:

It's funny because none of the sounds I hate are consistent. It's only some sounds with some people or at certain times.