Snacking at Night

Options
13»

Replies

• tamcar007
    Options
    I struggle with the same thing...I would start with saying if you are not hungry don't eat! Drink water with some lemon or club soda and water with lemon; however if you are hungry at night a few hours following dinner ---- go with veggies! and a light ranch dressing or any sort of light dressing you like - you could do a small amount of peanut butter with celery or salsa sauce and veggies is really good (i like celery and salsa) with a small amount of light sour cream!
    you could also do veggies like cucumber and tomato with cottage cheese and pepper sprinkled on top. Mainly stay away from carbs/sugar at night. Protein and (good) fat foods in a snack sized portion are good and vegetables are always a reliable go to!

Hope that gives you some ideas!
  • sremarie
    sremarie Posts: 37
    Options
    I try to pre-log as much as I can, so if I think I'm going to snack later I log it in and don't go over on my calories. Also sometimes after dinner I "complete my diary" for the day and then if I want to snack I remember I've already finished eating for the day and then won't snack. The power of "diary completed" keeps me from eating more...it's more effective (for me) than a lock on my cabinet.
  • Reza151
    Reza151 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    How 'bout just not doing it.

This.

Is the WORST idea I've ever heard.

Actually NIH has pointed out that the only correlation to weight gain from eating at night is that people tend to choose unhealthy foods and huge portions. Snacking at night in and of itself is okay, since weight gain is actually caused more by consuming more calories than are being burnt. Another reason why snacking at night is commonly not recommended ise that in addition to choosing unhealthy foods and oversized portions, people have already reached their calorie goals for the day. SO by that time, you tend to go over. But if you still have some calories to spare, and you choose moderate portions, and healthy choices, in short, there's really no harm.
  • javajinny
    javajinny Posts: 78
    Options
    The brushing your teeth idea works. :) It does for me, either because I still have the tothpastey taste in my mouth and so don't want to add food to that or because I just plain don't want to brush my teeth again and if I eat I'd have to. I love having something sweet after dinner, so drinking water after I'm finished then brushing my teeth really helps.
  • ami5000psu
    ami5000psu Posts: 391 Member
    Options

This.

Actually NHI has pointed out that the only correlation to weight gain from eating at night is that people tend to choose unhealthy foods and huge portions. Snacking at night in and of itself is okay, since weight gain is actually caused more by consuming more calories than are being burnt. ANother reason why snacking at night is commonly not recommended ise that in addition to choosing unhealthy foods and oversized portions, people have already reached their calorie goals for the day. SO by that time, you tend to go over. But if you still have some calories to spare, and you choose moderate portions, and healthy choices, in short, there's really no harm.

I can't speak for them, but I think they were referring to the fact that OP said they're snacking when they're NOT hungry. It has nothing to do with the time of day.
  • tatd_820
    tatd_820 Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    Im a late night snacker too. I've put the chips down and instead will have some edemame which are yummy, salty and time consuming to eat. Another fav snack of mine is spicy hummus with crunchmaster crackers (from SAMS). They are 5 grain crackers and salty. 10 crackers is like 89 calories and with the hummus, it's a 150 calorie snack that is salty, crunchy and yummy. One other fav is cottage cheese with fresh fruit or a handful of honey roasted peanuts. Have the snack but make good choices!!!
  • mrsfoster102613
    mrsfoster102613 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I love chips and crackers, too, so I was happy when I discovered kale chips. It’s a great way to get your greens and still satisfy that craving for something salty and crunchy (or in my case, spicy, too). You can make your own or buy them, but I highly suggest freshly made kale chips when you have time.

I also will sometimes eat carrots or celery alone or dipped in a tablespoon full or two of raw almond butter. It satisfies the need for something crunch and a little salty.

Nuts can be a good way to go, but watch the nutritional value on too many (sodium included).

Best of luck!
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    Try Intermittent Fasting and schedule your eating window so you won't be eating at night. If you're trying to stop night eating and you're not hungry, it's better not to eat at all. You can have water and no-cal beverages.
  • Aleta7
    Aleta7 Posts: 92
    Options
    shift your eating schedule, i'm the same way, only way it has ever worked for me is to start eating at noon

I always eat later at night..I am nocturnal so my eating is from noon on..last meal around 9pm.
  • Willowana
    Willowana Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I'm a night snacker too. Which is why I plan my night snacks FIRST before anything else goes in my diary. My whole day is planned around whatever snack/s I intend to eat that night.
  • Reza151
    Reza151 Posts: 517 Member
    Options

This.

Actually NHI has pointed out that the only correlation to weight gain from eating at night is that people tend to choose unhealthy foods and huge portions. Snacking at night in and of itself is okay, since weight gain is actually caused more by consuming more calories than are being burnt. ANother reason why snacking at night is commonly not recommended ise that in addition to choosing unhealthy foods and oversized portions, people have already reached their calorie goals for the day. SO by that time, you tend to go over. But if you still have some calories to spare, and you choose moderate portions, and healthy choices, in short, there's really no harm.

I can't speak for them, but I think they were referring to the fact that OP said they're snacking when they're NOT hungry. It has nothing to do with the time of day.

Hmm i was under the impression that OP also has trouble with night eating since the name of the thread is Snacking at Night.

Though in general, if I want to snack and know I'm not hungry, I munch on carrots or celery. though Im trying to kick that habit as well, by guzzling two cups of water in a row. Usually it fills me up so that I don't want to ingest anything else lol
  • dansing83
    dansing83 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    So militant. I eat about 600 of my 1800 calories a day after dinner. I haven't died yet.

Which would work, it I haven't eaten about 1400 calories before snack attack sets in. When I go over, it's usually by about 200 to 300 calories. Since I"m eating close to my total calories burned a day, it's usually too much.

By the way, I wasn't calling you militant...I thought I quoted the post that said, "how about just not doing it." We were in the car so I was on my phone. Anyhow, it is a learning experience. Try making your meals smaller or more low calorie and saving calories for the snacks later on. I usually start to get a little paranoid if I have logged breakfast and lunch and don't have 1,000 calories left for dinner and snacks. I am a night snacker for sure. I can rarely fall asleep if I am hungry and if I manage too, I wake up so hungry I might chew off my own arm.
  • dansing83
    Options
    Graham Crackers

Yummmmmmmm
  • ShannonS2714
    ShannonS2714 Posts: 135 Member
    Options

1) Save some calories so that when it comes night-time and you want a salty snack, you have the calorie budget to eat it.
    2) It may help to look for lower calorie options to satisfy your craving. For me, popcorn is high on my list.
  • dansing83
    Options
    It really is a habit you have trained your self to do. I used to eat about 1500 calories after dinner so that is my weak point to. Some things that have worked for me.

1. Brush your teeth before you sit down for the night! Sounds weird but it works.

2. Some times I have a green tea and a couple (2 or 3) dark chocolate squares.

3. If I have used all my calories for the day that it I just tell me self NO! remember the end goal. Then I go brush my teeth.

Its been 6 weeks and I am out of the habit

Awesome. Thanks. It's good to know that you broke the habit. I am going to start brushing my teeth in the evening.
  • hiyomi
    hiyomi Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    I know this might not be THAT healthy, but I love to snack on salty/sour stuff so I eat lemons with salt or pickles. >.< No calories at least D:
  • Oncebittentwiceshy38
    Oncebittentwiceshy38 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    This may sound crazy, but I have discovered that crisp celery with a sprinkle of salt and red pepper usually satisfies my snacking urge. :)
  • dansing83
    Options

This.

Tru dat. It's not about me being hungry. I'm just snacky. :smile: But I've gotten a lot of good ideas!!
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    go to bed earlier instead. Sleep is very good for you!
  • Caram281
    Caram281 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Try the special K snacks. I really like them and they are low in calorie and fat.