working out everyday?? okay or not

Options
Ive been working out everyday (just jogging and brisk walking intervals for 4 miles) and I feel amazing. I can feel my stamina improve and my body feels great. I do have a little muscle soreness a couple hours after my workout, but its very mild (its like my legs telling me good job haha). A friend of mine said that I shouldn't work out every day that it is bad for my muscles and that ache is a sign of me being bad to my body. I have heard that about doing resistance to build muscle, but never about cardio. Any truth to that?

Replies

• marypatmccue
    marypatmccue Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    Ive been working out everyday (just jogging and brisk walking intervals for 4 miles) and I feel amazing. I can feel my stamina improve and my body feels great. I do have a little muscle soreness a couple hours after my workout, but its very mild (its like my legs telling me good job haha). A friend of mine said that I shouldn't work out every day that it is bad for my muscles and that ache is a sign of me being bad to my body. I have heard that about doing resistance to build muscle, but never about cardio. Any truth to that?

I think... with it being cardio... that's false. You can do it every day if you want. In fact, the American Heart Association recommends 30 minutes a day, 5 days a week.... If you want to do cardio.

If you're lifting, rest in between is suggested.
    Go balls to the wall, girlfriend. :wink:
  • Eileen889
    Eileen889 Posts: 117
    Options
    Everyone is different when it comes to how many days they can workout with a break. I find that working out 6 days on with 1 day off helps keep me on track for the next week.
  • JusticeGirl25
    JusticeGirl25 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    I work out five days a week, like to take one day off during the work week and either on Saturday and Sunday. Don't push yourself too hard otherwise you could get hurt.
  • ElizaRoche
    ElizaRoche Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    i normally workout 6 days a week . Do what it works for you and how you feel ok with.
  • matt2442
    matt2442 Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    I usually work out everyday, once in a while ill take a rest day but most of the time i count yoga as my recovery day. It's all about knowing your own body. If you need to rest, rest. if you feel good, get at it.
  • JenS2586
    JenS2586 Posts: 85
    Options
    I was wondering the same thing. I workout everyday, very rarely have a break day. When I do I feel stiff and sore and hurt the next day when I start up again. I find if I feel a lil sore or not too into it its best to do it anyway, but a shorter time or less intense, for example if I run intervals everyday I may switch up a day here n there with speed walking with an incline, or ill lower the incline of my run or instead of an hour or two running I'll do half of that time running and switch the second half to walking. So I'm still getting my workout regardless. If I'm reeally sore, I'll do 40mins of yoga before I jump on treadmill, it stretches out everything and takes any soreness away and gives me tons of energy to do my run. Seems to be working good for me. Just listen to your body, don't push it if you feel too sore, either take a break, tone it down for a day or do another form of exercise for a day that works different muscle groups, or do a day of stretching/yoga.
  • GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    I truly believe the human body is capable of amazing things, and that the primary difference in top end athletes and you and me is the amount of work, effort, and time put in. Not always some magic mixture of genetics.
  • lisabundy5
    Options
    I workout every day because that 'next day back' after a rest day is always so much harder otherwise. I tend to not have the motivation or desire to get at it again, so rather than a rest day, I just burn less and have a less 'stressful' workout and have my cheat meal that day also. =)