Heading to 50 and morbidly obese, need help please

Options
Hi I am Kim I'm working on me and was in a winter challenge to loss weight and get healthy, at the time was physically limited and much better today. the daily focuse was great and a big help, but alas it is over and I find I am slipping backwards and I can't . I have so many reasons to live a fuller life and am tired of the weight holding me back . With that said I need support . I have a life time of bad habits and stress eating to change, both will always be there . I know . but I need help with keeping them in focuse. An advise is welcome and good friends on any journey make it a pleasure.

Replies

• antdogs
    antdogs Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    hey! its good to join this site to have other views of working out and being healthy! you can add me as a friend~!
  • Stephanie_Jean
    Stephanie_Jean Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm Stephanie and I'm also obese...I just added you as a friend :) I'm working on other ways to soothe myself. I got this book on Amazon for my Kindle called "50 ways to soothe yourself without food" by Susan Albers...I haven't really read too much of it, but I plan to do so and implement at least 2 of them a day. I would like to lose about 50 pounds ultimately, but right now my biggest goal is to get into one-derland! :smile:
  • ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    You can do this!
    I am 61 and if I can do it, believe me, anyone can.
    I read on another posting here this morning something that certainly rang true to me, and maybe the simplest explanation of why and how I have continued on this past year, here is what the person said,

"if I don't yet have the self control, I don't want it bad enough". It pretty much holds true for me.

Good luck!
  • turkeyhunter60
    turkeyhunter60 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    get up and move, count calories, lean on all of us. Go get 'em!
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    Best advice I could give is to just always log your food. Good days, bad days.. log it. Once you know what you're doing to yourself you can't help but start to make good choices. And once you do that the rest is (relatively/not at all) easy.
  • cici1028
    cici1028 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the site! You're in the right place. To be honest, it all comes down to you and the choices you make. But the good news is that once you get over your initial discomfort it really is pretty easy! It will always be a struggle for all of us, but it gets easier the further you go. You can do this!! Feel free to add me as a friend and let me know how you do! I have had great success with this site and am happy to share any tips or tricks I know!

But some advice:
    Start slow and start small. It didn't take you three weeks to gain it. It isn't going to take three weeks to lose it. Set yourself small goals. Like:

Week 1 - eat normally but HONESTLY track everything I put in my mouth, no matter how embarrassing
    Week 2- look back at week 1. Oh dear. What's one thing I can cut? Soda? Snacking after 9pm? Follow for a week.
    Week 3 - really focus on portion control. Am I really eating a single serving of something? MEASURE IT! You'll surprise yourself.
    Week 4- focus on staying within calorie limits. This is the hardest week but SO worth it.
    Week 5 - 6 - stay within those calorie goals. Don't tempt yourself with foods until you have the willpower to control portions.
    Week 7 - start to integrate some motion. Maybe it's a quick walk or going up and down some stairs.

Once you get the hang of portion control and honestly logging your foods and staying accountable, the exercise comes next. THEN maybe you'll start swapping whole grains for white flour. Or cutting out the sugar. Or Not buying processed foods. What have you. But the point is, don't go through your cupboard and throw it all away at once. You'll panic. Just focus on moderation and calories at first then work up to the more drastic changes. You can do it!!!
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    Hi, 59 here. Since September of last year, I've managed to get out of the lower level of "obese" and into the upper level of "overweight". It's a struggle. I don't know how much of an inspiration I can be because lately I'm discouraged more days than not. But I am NOT going to give up. My highest weight was 207; it has taken me about 4 years to get down to 185. I can't wait to hit a new low, but it's been long in coming. That's o.k. I can wait.
  • TheSwoleMinister_deleted
    Options
    Welcome to the site! You're in the right place. To be honest, it all comes down to you and the choices you make. But the good news is that once you get over your initial discomfort it really is pretty easy! It will always be a struggle for all of us, but it gets easier the further you go. You can do this!! Feel free to add me as a friend and let me know how you do! I have had great success with this site and am happy to share any tips or tricks I know!

But some advice:
    Start slow and start small. It didn't take you three weeks to gain it. It isn't going to take three weeks to lose it. Set yourself small goals. Like:

Week 1 - eat normally but HONESTLY track everything I put in my mouth, no matter how embarrassing
    Week 2- look back at week 1. Oh dear. What's one thing I can cut? Soda? Snacking after 9pm? Follow for a week.
    Week 3 - really focus on portion control. Am I really eating a single serving of something? MEASURE IT! You'll surprise yourself.
    Week 4- focus on staying within calorie limits. This is the hardest week but SO worth it.
    Week 5 - 6 - stay within those calorie goals. Don't tempt yourself with foods until you have the willpower to control portions.
    Week 7 - start to integrate some motion. Maybe it's a quick walk or going up and down some stairs.

Once you get the hang of portion control and honestly logging your foods and staying accountable, the exercise comes next. THEN maybe you'll start swapping whole grains for white flour. Or cutting out the sugar. Or Not buying processed foods. What have you. But the point is, don't go through your cupboard and throw it all away at once. You'll panic. Just focus on moderation and calories at first then work up to the more drastic changes. You can do it!!!

Awesome post. Thumbs up for sure! :bigsmile:
  • samcat2000
    samcat2000 Posts: 106 Member
    Options

But some advice:

Completely agree!
    I would add the following to Week 2 or create a separate week (or two or three):

GET ORGANIZED!! Start collecting menus, recipes, get your shopping done, get your food prep done, get your cooking done so that you always have healthy options on hand. If you can't eat in, identify places that post nutritional info and that you can eat and still stay within your goals. If you have healthy recipes you already know you like, enter them into the Recipes component of MFP. Makes logging easier later. If you're really really organized (I'm not), you may want to consider pre-loading your diary for a week at a time with healthy foods you have on hand and you know you can eat. This makes staying within your cal goals much easier.
  • RebeccaBurmeister
    RebeccaBurmeister Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    feel free to add me!
  • nczuczu
    nczuczu Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! I have been at this for about 3 months now and have dropped just over 20 lbs. It is slow, but steady. I have found that the community on MFP has been very helpful and supportive. I have been married to my husband for nearly 28 years and we are on this journey together. I will send you a friend request. Accept if you would like me to support you along the way. We can do this!

Nancy
  • faith__ak
    faith__ak Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    One tip that should help you: NEVER CHEAT during a diet, and NEVER say "I'll start tomorrow" because this "tomorrow" might never come.
    If you just have a strong will from the inside, believe me you'll win over yourself and the people who say that you can't do it. All of us are strong, we just need motivation, will and honesty to let it out.

We're here to support each other. Good luck :) x
    :flowerforyou:
  • charlesnapolitano
    charlesnapolitano Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    welcome to MFP. I have a lot to lose myself and sure could use the support please add me and we can support each other:)
  • Bigblondelady
    Bigblondelady Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I just want to say thanks to you all . I was watching my post and getting diappointed when it was getting pasted over( pitty part and worrier). I didn't to stay in that frame of mind so I moved on. I had not realized people had heard me. I got friend request but was not catching on yet why. So thanks for making me feel important and lifting my spirits. and I will be taking you up on the help and advice. much love Kim
  • Pamela_June
    Pamela_June Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the group - we are all here to help each other.. you will get a lot of good support and advice - you can do it... hang in there and come to the boards every day.....

Nice to have you with us!

Pam
    :wink:
  • Appletree5
    Options
    I just want to say thanks to you all . I was watching my post and getting diappointed when it was getting pasted over( pitty part and worrier). I didn't to stay in that frame of mind so I moved on. I had not realized people had heard me. I got friend request but was not catching on yet why. So thanks for making me feel important and lifting my spirits. and I will be taking you up on the help and advice. much love Kim

You have done amazing already - give yourself credit well done \0/
  • Bigblondelady
    Bigblondelady Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    tanks appletree
  • squiffy113
    Options
    Hi there! Good luck in your journey. Stay strong, it's definitely tough when you feel yourself slipping. I'm currently trying to fight back from a food slip. Food is definitely comfort for me.

My parents are both obese and in their 50s. Over X-Mas break my brother and I cleaned the junk food out of the house and taught them about portion size and exercise (just walking a bunch and doing stretchy band exercises). So far my mom has lost 10 lbs and my dad has lost 30. If they can do it, you can do it!

Also, in my quest to eat better I've really enjoyed learning to cook more. You know exactly what you're putting into your body and MFP has a great recipe section to calculate and help you portion your meals.
  • Goin4goal
    Goin4goal Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Welcome Bigblondelady - I'm new here also. I'm 62 and need to lose 65 lbs. This is the greatest site ever. It makes me think before I plan my meals and keeps me focused on exercising, which consists of walking so far. I need to join a gym, but haven't gotten up the courage yet. Please friend me and we will do this together with the help of everyone on this site.