Protein shakes- Mix with water or milk?

Options
trying to see which is the better way. I mean you can mix it with either or but are there benefits to using water over milk... milk over water...

which one is your preference? or which one is the better way?

Replies

• steph1278
    steph1278 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I use unsweetened almond milk when I make mine. I just prefer the taste better. Obviously, it will be fewer calories if you use water instead.
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    It's a matter of personal preference. using water keeps the calories down. Sometimes milk tastes better. I often use unsweetened almond milk. Not as many calories added as cow's milk, but a bit creamier than using water. But, some protein powders taste just as good with water, others need the milk to make them more palatable. Play around with it, see which you prefer and which fits easiest into your dialy nutritional values.
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    Depends on the brand.. if it's a ****ty brand that adds unnecessary fats to make it taste good like Muscle Milk I'd suggest water.. if it's a normal whey isolate you could do either.

As a meal replacement you could use milk and 1/2 a cup of oats in your shake.
  • TheStephil
    TheStephil Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    I usually just use water and sometimes I'll add a splash of milk to give it a creamier texture. i try to keep my protein shakes as low cal as posible so I prefer water. Milk is good if you need to get that dairy into your day.
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    Unsweetened almond milk for added taste, creaminess, and calcium!
  • ottermotorcycle
    ottermotorcycle Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    I tend to think they taste pretty gross with water.

Plus milk adds nutrition, depending on your kind of milk you get some protein, potassium, iron, calcium, etc.
  • MelodyinGa
    MelodyinGa Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I use Unjury with 1% milk for the added protein.
  • TravisBikes
    TravisBikes Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I do the almond milk too, it's pretty great. Due to a milk-protein allergy in my son, we either use rice or almond milk at home.
  • YoungDoc2B
    YoungDoc2B Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    I like using skim milk, plus you get the added protein.
  • uptowntoprankin
    uptowntoprankin Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I do water, almond milk or even hazelnut milk which is nice with choc protein and frozen apple.
  • rfsatar
    rfsatar Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I do half semi-skimmed, half water.
    Tastes nicer!
  • Danny_Boy13
    Danny_Boy13 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    If I am on a building / bulking phase I use milk to get more of the cals, but I will use water if I am in a cutting phase.
  • Jemicabell
    Options
    I use water only for my protein shakes. If you use fruits/veggies you like you don't need the extra calories.
  • coopersmom2006
    Options
    I like unsweetened vanilla almond milk. Taste preference for me.
  • MariaLivingFit
    MariaLivingFit Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I use half unsweetened almond milk and half water. The almond milk gives it a little bit of a creamier texture.
  • BEERRUNNER
    BEERRUNNER Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    MILK of course!!!! And throw in a egg while you are at it!!! Milk has protein so yeah :bigsmile:
  • musycnlyrics
    musycnlyrics Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I use unsweetened almond milk when I make mine. I just prefer the taste better. Obviously, it will be fewer calories if you use water instead.

^^^This

I prefer unsweetened almond milk for my protein shakes, the consistency is better for me...And its only 30 cals for 8oz of the almond milk....
  • liesevanlingen
    liesevanlingen Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    I use water to keep the calories down. Most protein shakes do taste pretty gross with water but the Herbalife ones I drink are actually pretty good. You might just want to experiment with a few different brands/flavors of shake to find one that you like. With a child in the house that is allergic to dairy, soy, nuts, eggs, and about a dozen other things, we sometimes have to get creative.
  • lacurandera1
    lacurandera1 Posts: 8,083 Member
    Options
    I use milk- it's extra protein. :) Plus i think it tastes better than mixing with water.
  • Fit2Skinnyme33
    Fit2Skinnyme33 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I used Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Milk and then I add 2tbs of PB2. Peanut Butter protein shake mmmmmmmmmmmm

More nutrients than just using water.