turkey bacon suggestions needed..

Options
Hi,

So turkey bacon was on sale the other day and we bought quite a bit before actually trying it. :( I did not like it at all done on the top of the stove. Any healthy or at least edible way of making it taste good?? Please help.

Replies

• humanismu
    humanismu Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Hi!

I'm sorry you got stuck with a bunch of unwanted turkey bacon! I love the stuff personally, and although I eat it all the time, I just cook it right up and eat it, not fancy uses :C

I hope you find what you're looking for because that'd be an awful waste of money otherwise @_@ !!
  • thequiltmama
    Options
    Hi!

I'm sorry you got stuck with a bunch of unwanted turkey bacon! I love the stuff personally, and although I eat it all the time, I just cook it right up and eat it, not fancy uses :C

I hope you find what you're looking for because that'd be an awful waste of money otherwise @_@ !!

Thanks,
    I think I have just been spoiled by pork bacon my whole life and can't convince my brain to like anything else. :) haha
  • JessicaAnhalt
    Options
    I love Turkey Bacon!! My Mom is the same way though, she tried it and hated it because she loves bacon. Have you thought about trying some different types of recipes to incorporate it instead of eating it as a side? http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/great-recipes.asp?food=turkey+bacon
  • deedster_a
    deedster_a Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Bake it in the oven on a rack or broiler pan at 400 degrees until really crisp. Oh, and don't think of pork bacon when eating it. Consider it a new food.
  • JanaCanada
    JanaCanada Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    It IS kind of an acquired taste if you are used to regular pork bacon. I microwave it and eat it as a BLT. Yum!
  • KatieHall77
    KatieHall77 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Light corn chowder with turkey bacon

Slice the t-bacon into pieces, and fry it up in a soup pot. Once crisp, remove and set to drain on paper towel. Add diced onions and cook until soft. Quarter a small sack of fingerling potatoes with skin, add to pot. Add two cans of creamed corn, and two cups skim milk. Place lid and simmer on low until the potatoes are soft. Serve with the bacon added at the last moment. Serve with whole grain bread or corn muffins.
  • LaSutopia
    LaSutopia Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    Bake it in the oven on a rack or broiler pan at 400 degrees until really crisp. Oh, and don't think of pork bacon when eating it. Consider it a new food.

yes this...also we use the microwave...they have bacon cookers for the microwave and it comes out SOOO crispy in minutes! You could make a sandwich with it, that might help. Or crumble it on a salad.....but yea I totally agree that if you are thinking it should taste like real bacon when eating it you will be dissapointed...But I LOVE it as it's own food.
  • aeg176
    aeg176 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    cook in the oven at 400 for 8-10 mins...its not bacon it is a good sub for people looking for a healthier option..bacon will never really be able to be subsituted... I enjoy mine on a BLT
  • drchimpanzee
    drchimpanzee Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    Real bacon doesn't have that many more calories. Unless you're eating a ton of strips at a time there's really no reason to get turkey bacon. For instance, the last turkey bacon I bought had 35 calories a slice. The bacon I have in my fridge is 45 calories a slice. Even if I ate 10 slices of each that would only be a 100 calorie difference.
  • btoeps74
    btoeps74 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Now you know why it was on sale lol. I like mine pan fried with the pan coated with spray on olive oil. It is crispier that way.
  • workinprogress12_2
    workinprogress12_2 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    We like it. I consider them more on the ham side of taste than awesome baconness. I however cannot fry it to save my life, my husband has to do it for me. I don't see why it couldn't be cooked in the oven like pork bacon. I will use the leftover bacon that day on sandwiches, but it's not worth keeping after that. Maybe try goggling?
  • aeg176
    aeg176 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Real bacon doesn't have that many more calories. Unless you're eating a ton of strips at a time there's really no reason to get turkey bacon. For instance, the last turkey bacon I bought had 35 calories a slice. The bacon I have in my fridge is 45 calories a slice. Even if I ate 10 slices of each that would only be a 100 calorie difference.

very good point never really looked at it like that just assumed it was the healthier option
  • drchimpanzee
    drchimpanzee Posts: 892 Member
    Options

very good point never really looked at it like that just assumed it was the healthier option

I will say everyone has individual health concerns etc and I'm not basing my advice off cholesterol, blood pressure, etc. I'm just speaking strictly relating to losing weight and calories.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    I use it when I make breakfast burritos. I will say it's not near as good as normal bacon though.
  • Bejede
    Bejede Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Bump -- good ideas
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options

Yep, totally agree with this. I suffered through a few slices of turkey bacon myself until I finally did a careful comparison. Just my opinion, but I think you'll find this with a lot of modified or "fake" food. Take ground turkey sometime and compare it to leaner ground beef. Again, just my opinion, but if you're counting calories then make every one count not only in nutrition but in unwavering and uncompromising taste. Dieting is hard enough!
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    Hi,

So turkey bacon was on sale the other day and we bought quite a bit before actually trying it. :( I did not like it at all done on the top of the stove. Any healthy or at least edible way of making it taste good?? Please help.

Put real bacon on it?
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    Hi,

Put real bacon on it?

QFW :bigsmile:
  • Tuffjourney
    Tuffjourney Posts: 971
    Options
    I microwave mine until crisps, then put it in a bagel with lite cream cheese. Awesome!!! of course, my son calls it fakon, as in fake bacon. He's a butt teenager, what does he know. :ohwell:
  • Mischieviousme777
    Mischieviousme777 Posts: 190 Member
    Options

^^^ This. Kind of makes it taste like pork bacon, imo.