How much money do you spend on food weekly?

Options

Replies

• Emtabo01
    Emtabo01 Posts: 672
    Options
    I go every weekend, maybe 100 one week, 175 the next, 150 the next, 250 the next - repeat. So 675 a month, roughly. I buy 85% healthy, whole foods, and 15% junk, like goldfish, fruit snacks for the kids and chips for the husband. I spend more since changing lifestyles to be healthier, but we eat out way less, so I figure it evens out. Edited: oh yeah, family of 4
  • dandandee
    dandandee Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I actually do my grocery shopping every other week, unless I really need something in between, but usually I just make due without. My trips average 50$.
    so 25$ a week or 100$ a month (give or take a little depending on if I had to replace expensive stuff like olive oil)

First place I look when I enter the grocery store is the bin of reduced produce (I've gotten stuff like bananas, tomatoes, stir fry veggies, cauliflower for 50% off and they're not even bad, only *slightly* past prime)

I only feed myself and I never go out for food, only a coffee here and there.
    ** I usually spend my weekends at my parents house so when I'm there they feed me... so if I were home all month it'd be around 125$
  • hdlb
    hdlb Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Usually $200/week for a family of 5.
  • MeeshyBW
    MeeshyBW Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I'm almost disgusted with how much I spend based on the above answers. :-/

I spend on average £120-£200 every 7-10 days for 2 Adults which is $181-$303.

I buy all my meat in bulk from a special supplier who caters for Athletes. I only eat Grass Fed Beef & Lamb and we only eat Free Range Chicken and Outdoor Raised Pork. We also only eat Organic/Free Range Eggs. This is probably £120-£180 a month dependant on what we buy. We eat meat EVERY DAY.

We don't eat out on a regular basis, maybe once a month someplace high end rather than take out/fast food etc so this budget is for 3 meals a day for 2 adults, including snacks.

I don't buy pre-prepared meals, this is just for raw ingredients and we buy a shed load of organic vegetables & exotic fruits (Not really Apple eaters in our house). Also this budget does not include alcohol really. I might buy a case of Peroni a month for hubby.
  • determined_erin
    determined_erin Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    I spend between $20 - $30 because I shop at Aldi. I love their prices!
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    around 50 Bahraini dinars a week for a family of 4
  • NewCaddy
    NewCaddy Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    We're a family of 4 and averaging $100/week. There is a little "junk" but most of it is pretty healthy. Not much fish, though, since that's usually pretty pricey. Lots of chicken.

Please tell me how you spend only $100 a week for a family of 4! I spend $200 a week and desperatly need to cut it down. I am at a disadvantage though that my husband cannot eat poultry of any kind. So I am buying chicken for me and beef/pork for the rest of the family. No junk food (the kids have hated me for 6 months now..lol).

Oh my gosh! I've never heard of anyone else with a poultry allergy! My husband can't have it either. I just spent $250 for two weeks of meals (4 of us in the family). I will have to go back for fresh produce/bread/milk so I come to about $300 every two weeks (it would be better but my husband still buys all the "junk" food) :noway:
  • Queen_JessieA
    Queen_JessieA Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    $125 a week for my family of 5. That is mostly organic fruits/veggies (at least the dirty dozen) and organic meats when I can work them in. I am blessed to get free range, organic eggs from my Mama for free. Trying hard to not buy processed stuffs, but my hubby and kids make it hard!! LOL.
  • jivitasa
    jivitasa Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    We're a family of 4 and averaging $100/week. There is a little "junk" but most of it is pretty healthy. Not much fish, though, since that's usually pretty pricey. Lots of chicken.

Please tell me how you spend only $100 a week for a family of 4! I spend $200 a week and desperatly need to cut it down. I am at a disadvantage though that my husband cannot eat poultry of any kind. So I am buying chicken for me and beef/pork for the rest of the family. No junk food (the kids have hated me for 6 months now..lol).

^^This! Family of 4 I spend $200-$250
  • vikkistarr89
    vikkistarr89 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    WOAH.

I spent £20 a week for the week and this isn't just on food its to live, like washing powder, binliners, bleach. That equates to $30 in dollars
  • CharityGC
    CharityGC Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Around $100/week for two people.
  • NickFiedlerswife
    Options
    We are a family of 6 (except really 5 for eatting purposes during most of the month cuz my hubby is on the road), but I also spend $100/week on our groceries.....I found that by planning the meals everyday out and knowing what ingrediants I have to buy helps to spend less at the grocery store!! :-)
  • MNA76
    MNA76 Posts: 1,541
    Options
    I easily spend between $150 - $200 a week for me and my husband. I try to buy local, organic and whole foods for the most part.
  • prestonbunch
    prestonbunch Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I budget $150 per week for a family of five. That includes packed lunches for four of us each day and a packed snack for my preschooler four days a week. We rarely eat out.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    £100 ($150) a week roughly for 2 adults.

We eat quite a lot of meat (which is expensive) We also both eat a fair amount in general too, especially my partner since he's trying to gain.
  • mariapuhl
    mariapuhl Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I spend about $150 per month for just me - so that averages out to $37.50 a week. I don't eat out, really ever, so that's every meal.
  • abbyrae1
    abbyrae1 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Weekly for 2 people I stick to a budget of $140 or less. I buy mostly organic produce and meats also, and I have found it's easier to do that I thought it would be. I used to spend about $650/month on food for 2 people, now we are down to about $400-450 and its healthier stuff then before!
  • Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member
    Options
    I spend about 150 bucks a week. But it's me, my boyfriend (who has been eating over at my place and then taking lunch for work with him in the morning and my daughter.

Granted, and I will be honest here, we are foodies and love to eat well. For example at my two week shopping trip, I picked up lamb, veal and spolumbo's sausages.

we also go through a lot of fruits so i'm constantly replenishing that also.
  • LavenderBouquet
    LavenderBouquet Posts: 736 Member
    Options
    Me and my boyfriend spend about $80 per week combined. It's hard to say how much I would buy if it was just me, I eat at home 90% of the time but he eats out occasionally, so it might balance out to $40 each in the end. We usually buy meat and fish when it's on sale and freeze it, and other than that we buy A LOT of eggs and veggies, and a bit of fruit and other odds and ends.
  • EmmaKarney
    EmmaKarney Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    My veg box and organic produce delivery is in the region of £40-£50 a week (veg, milk, eggs, one or two portions of meat/fish)

This is the backbone of our food - but maybe spend the same again on extras like lunches that aren't necessarily factored into the main grocery shop and sometimes eating out.

So I guess about £100 a week for 2 people? We eat well though. I prioritise my budget on eating decent food. We don't drink for example.