Diabetes and drinking too much water

Options
I have been a Type 1 Diabetic for 24 years. I normally don't drink water. In fact this past year I went 6 months without even a cup of water. My blood sugars are great. My A1c is 6.3 and dropping.

My questions is has anyone out there that is a Diabetic had a problem drinking too much water and having it affect their blood sugar?? I started last Monday drinking 16 cups of water a day. I weigh 268.5 which is 16 cups of water if you do the half your weight in ounces like I have read about. However, my blood sugar has been extremely high for the last week. Which is not normal for me. I have been unable to get my blood sugar below 240. The past 3 days I have been unable to get it below 370. I am wondering if drinking too much water can affect blood sugar levels. I have not changed my diet or my medications. The only thing that is different is the amount of water I consume. If anyone out there has heard or had a similar problem please let me know!

Replies

• tolkienite
    tolkienite Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I've never noticed water to affect my blood sugars. Generally for my the change factors are as below:

Blood sugar rises: stress, high GI foods, difficult to estimate foods (restaurants etc)
    Blood sugar drops: extremely hot or cold weather, extra exercise (standing for long bus trips etc), short term stress (exams, interviews - times when my heart rate picks up then I quickly settle down)
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Dehydration has been known to cause blood sugar levels to read high, but I have never heard of excess water to do so.

However, you may be drinking soooo much that your body is fighting to regulate itself - the symptoms of over hydrating are very similar to dehydration and I wonder if this might affect blood sugar, as well.

Unless you live in a desert, 16 cups seems ridiculous. Drink enough water that your pee is light yellow. If you are consistently peeing clear, you may be drinking too much.

Double check your diary - are you weighing and measuring your foods? Are you eating the proper foods or have you been sneaking in some extras?
  • Anganiesta
    Anganiesta Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have read and been told to drink half my weight in ounces of water. I eat normal, however, I could do better. I am eating as I always do and my blood sugars are usually really good. Even my doctors has told me my blood sugars are good, sometimes to many lows. My urine is still dark or a medium yellow color. Sometimes it is really light yellow.
  • goleah68
    goleah68 Posts: 3
    Options
    Water won't cause a change. However, drinking significantly more water can cause you to eat less, which can cause lows if you're eating A LOT less.