Timing on using extra exercise calories

Options
There is so much great information here, I apologize if this was asked prior -- I could not find it :)

I just started using MFP this past week. I love the way the site tracks things. I've been reading a lot of the posts related to using all calories and how important that is. I'm at 1240 and have been able to stick to that this week. Its amazing to me how a serving should be -- its been years since I've measured things. I had been doing WW core and South Beach.

My question -- I work out typically 3 days a week and burn close to 800 calories. Is the day I exercise the only day I should use extra calories? Or is within a couple days OK? I'm relating this to the way WW tracked activity points -- you could use them within the week.

Just wondering how I should be tracking that -- Its unrealistic that 3 days a week I'd eat an extra 800 calories. Could I estimate that I could have 200 extra over a few days? What has worked for you? Thanks!

Paula

Replies

• aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    As long as you're getting at least 1,240, you could definitely do this... multiply 1,240 by 7 and you get 8,680... so just make sure you get at least that total per week and then you could add the 2,400 extra and work on getting that in during the week anytime. I would say try for at least 9,000. I try not to leave more than 200 calories (after exercise calories) on a regular basis...or just make sure all the numbers are green and not too big. Hope this helps!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,121 Member
    Options
    I'm a believer in the "Roll over Calories" method. But I try to keep them within one day before or after.....just because it's easy to get into bad habits and you really need to get in the habit of eating every 3-4 hours regardless of your hunger level

That said, there is also the theory of "Zig-zagging" your calories that seems to have gained some credence. Basically you are changing the calories eaten to [plus or minus] a few hundred calories every few days, the theory being that it "confuses" the body and aids weight loss. You can google it.

It seems to me that I am generally hungrier on non-workout days. Dunno why, but it is the case. So I eat more on those days than the days I don't work out.

Good luck! I'm sure many here will disagree with me!
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    I would say just be careful with not eating too many carbs, fats, or sugar because your body can't break those down before you go to bed since your metabolism is going so slowly while you sleep.
  • brandy130lbs
    brandy130lbs Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I would try to stick to using those calories on that day. The reason why you get extra calories is because your body burned more fuel that day. To keep you metabolism running throughout the day, you need to fuel you body. Also, I would be very careful on how many calories you think you are burning. If you are using a gym, the equipment is usually inaccurate. An example, I used the stairclimber at my gym yesterday and is claied I burned 100 more calories than what my heart rate monitor claimed. I have also found this true for the website, it usually overestimates. 800 calories for one workout session is a lot. I have trained for a 1/2 marathon and I had to run about 7 miles to burn 800 calories. A lot of spin classes claim that you will burn 1000 calories in 1 hour, but most people I have spun with burn 500- 700, with 500 be more of the standard. I love my heart rate monitor and think it's a great tool to help you lose weight. I only gave you so many examples because I would hate to see you eat so many extra calories and not see any results and wonder what happened.
  • themartinbunch
    Options
    Paula what a great question! I was actually just thinking/wondering the very same thing. I too eat about 1200 cal/day and burn 800-900 calories working out 3 days/week. The answers to your question have helped me tremendously. My friend and I will be baking tonight, so I dont worry about using up the extra calories, but there are definitely days when I won't eat that much.

Thanks Again!
  • tjptaylor
    tjptaylor Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your feedback!!! I may just add a 100-200 extra on the following day or 2. I have time to do a good long workout on tuedays, saturday and sunday. I actually do about 6 miles on the eliptical in 60 minutes. I do think the 750 the machine tells me is a good estimate. I also walk daily for a 1/2 hour. There is no way I would want to eat more than 500 extra in a day --- I almost posted no way I could. Sure, I could, but don't want to :laugh:
  • tjptaylor
    tjptaylor Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    CMRIVERSIDE -- Thanks -- I looked into the zig zagging. I'm going to set up a schedule where in a week I hit a target that includes my workout calories. I love the idea of it.