How should I workout?!?!

Options
SO I am ready to incorporate working out, I have been on MFP for 6 days now and am used to logging on and what not. ANy suggestions? Should I do cardio only first to get the weight off then do lifting? or do both? how long should I do cardio workouts? any help would be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    The most effective workout incorporates both.

The most important workout is something you will do consistently.

Therefore, find what you enjoy to get in the habit of exercise, then start worrying about the actual exercises.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    IMO, you should do something that you're going to enjoy and look forward to. If you're doing something you don't like, it's going to be harder to adhere to a program/routine long-term.

What would you enjoy? There are plenty of exercise options.

Weight lifting
    Running
    Biking
    Swimming
    Dancing
    Circuit Training
    Hiking
    DVDs
    ETC.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    You should do both! Do workouts you enjoy! My general rule for length of workout time - no less than 30 minutes and no more than 60 minutes. :flowerforyou:
  • mooshie89
    mooshie89 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I like dancing and zumba a lot! and I also like going to the gym and the machines! But I got something in the mail for boxing and I really want to try it! I heard that works really well!
  • Liftnlove
    Liftnlove Posts: 235
    Options
    You should lift weights, do cardio, and eat at a deficit--the perfect storm for weight loss and body transformation.

When I started, I lifted 3x a week, cardio 7x a week....now I lift 5x a week, and still do cardio every day. BUUUUT, you don't need to do cardio AT ALL to lose weight. You can achieve weight loss just by eating less food. I do cardio because it makes me feel good and I like to eat a lot of food.

But you should lift weights NOW--there is NO SUBSTITUTE for lifting weights--nothing else will transform your body the way lifting will. :) Best wishes!!
  • jalloggio
    jalloggio Posts: 141
    Options
    Always incorporate some weight training with your cardio, it helps strengthen not only your muscles but your bones. Start by using bodyweight exercises. I have many bodyweight workout programs on my website for my online personal training clients, all have had great success with them :)
  • angless21
    angless21 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Am having a hard time losing weight. I been exercise allmost everyday. My daily calories bruned is around 200 calories. I think I need to try and brund at laest 300 calories everyday. Can someone help me?
  • htooos
    htooos Posts: 2
    Options
    I am a big fan of doing Just Dance on the Wii! 45 minutes will burn a good 400 calories or so - if you enjoy dancing give it a try.