Interval Training

Options
Hi everyone, I'm new to this site...was just referred here by a friend.

I thought I'd share two little tid bits of advice from some personal successes.

I started working out regularly almost 2 years ago, in an attempt to lose some weight for a theatre production I was in. The show fell through, but thankfully, I kept working out. After about of year of "standard" working out (alternating cardio days with weights), I got really, really bored.

Then I started taking the odd fitness class at my rec centre. I did step classes, boot camps, cardio-cross training, and my personal fave, athletic intervals.

It was in these classes that I learned SO many new skills, activities, workout options, etc. But, the downside was, due to my work schedule, I was rarely able to get to them. So...what I did was, I went on to YouTube, and looked up "athletic intervals"..that lead me to "High Intensity Interval Training" or HIIT. It's intense, but really diverse, keeps your body "on its' toes" so to speak, and you're never doing the same thing for more than a minute.

So I started to craft/create my own "interval workout". What I do now, at least twice a week, is, I go to my gym, and in the cardio room, typically where most people are doing their stretching (in an open area), I set up a step riser (usually with 2 or 3 risers on it) and I do a workout that alternates with step, skipping, aerobics, weights, LOTS of squats, etc.

I created a very basic form of this for my friend who introduced me to this site, so if anyone needs something new to try, email me through this site.

As well, and I don't know if I'm allowed to post this...but i will, since I don't make them, but here's a link to the interval timer that I use. I set it for 1 minute intervals, with a 3 second break between.

http://www.amazon.com/Everlast-Interval-Training-Round-Timer/dp/B004OA2JME

After hitting a bit of a plateau a few months ago, this routine helped me take off an extra 8 lbs. I have to add in...EAT PROTEIN WITH 30 MINUTES OF EXERCISE... I know it sounds counter intuitive, but IT WILL HELP. You don't want a calorie deficit.

Anyway, I'm not a trainer, just someone who's pulled together stuff they've learned, and created something that works for me.

-Trevor

Replies

• pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    n...EAT PROTEIN WITH 30 MINUTES OF EXERCISE... I know it sounds counter intuitive, but IT WILL HELP. You don't want a calorie deficit.

:huh:
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, I'm new to this site...was just referred here by a friend.

I thought I'd share two little tid bits of advice from some personal successes.

I started working out regularly almost 2 years ago, in an attempt to lose some weight for a theatre production I was in. The show fell through, but thankfully, I kept working out. After about of year of "standard" working out (alternating cardio days with weights), I got really, really bored.

Then I started taking the odd fitness class at my rec centre. I did step classes, boot camps, cardio-cross training, and my personal fave, athletic intervals.

It was in these classes that I learned SO many new skills, activities, workout options, etc. But, the downside was, due to my work schedule, I was rarely able to get to them. So...what I did was, I went on to YouTube, and looked up "athletic intervals"..that lead me to "High Intensity Interval Training" or HIIT. It's intense, but really diverse, keeps your body "on its' toes" so to speak, and you're never doing the same thing for more than a minute.

So I started to craft/create my own "interval workout". What I do now, at least twice a week, is, I go to my gym, and in the cardio room, typically where most people are doing their stretching (in an open area), I set up a step riser (usually with 2 or 3 risers on it) and I do a workout that alternates with step, skipping, aerobics, weights, LOTS of squats, etc.

I created a very basic form of this for my friend who introduced me to this site, so if anyone needs something new to try, email me through this site.

As well, and I don't know if I'm allowed to post this...but i will, since I don't make them, but here's a link to the interval timer that I use. I set it for 1 minute intervals, with a 3 second break between.

http://www.amazon.com/Everlast-Interval-Training-Round-Timer/dp/B004OA2JME

After hitting a bit of a plateau a few months ago, this routine helped me take off an extra 8 lbs. I have to add in...EAT PROTEIN WITH 30 MINUTES OF EXERCISE... I know it sounds counter intuitive, but IT WILL HELP. You don't want a calorie deficit.

Anyway, I'm not a trainer, just someone who's pulled together stuff they've learned, and created something that works for me.

-Trevor

Another timer to try is the one I use, made by Gymboss.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!