Can't get HR down after HIIT

Options
mllst18
mllst18 Posts: 188 Member
Has anyone else experienced this? If so, what did you do to avoid it in the future? This is what I did on the Arc trainer:

0-10:00 Normal Pace Warm up
10:00-14:00 I did 20 seconds of sprint, 10 seconds of normal pace
14:00-18:00 Cool down

And from that point on, I didn't feel well at all, so I went to the locker room and sat down for a few minutes until I got a bit of a handle on my HR and then went and did 10 min at a slow pace on the treadmill, just walking.

Thanks guys!

Replies

• mreeves261
    mreeves261 Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    Happened to me once. It was after the Insanity Pure Cardio session. I woke up the next day with a wicked head cold. Perhaps you are getting sick? IDK, it's just what happened to me.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Keeping your metabolism raised long after you finished your HIIT session is finished is sort of the point of doing HIIT
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    Keeping your metabolism raised long after you finished your HIIT session is finished is sort of the point of doing HIIT

What he said
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    Has anyone else experienced this? If so, what did you do to avoid it in the future? This is what I did on the Arc trainer:

0-10:00 Normal Pace Warm up
    10:00-14:00 I did 20 seconds of sprint, 10 seconds of normal pace
    14:00-18:00 Cool down

And from that point on, I didn't feel well at all, so I went to the locker room and sat down for a few minutes until I got a bit of a handle on my HR and then went and did 10 min at a slow pace on the treadmill, just walking.

Thanks guys!

its called being out of shape.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    What was your heart rate? Your heart rate will generally be pretty elevated post-exercise, especially if you are out of shape.
  • GiGiBeans
    GiGiBeans Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    Try doing 10 secs sprint and 20 secs normal pace if you always feel ill afterwards. Don't know how often you do HIIT but allow at least a day between sessions.
  • kiiks52
    kiiks52 Posts: 21
    Options
    How was your breathing during the actual exercise? I sometimes feel like I'm going to hyperventilate. As others said, it's probably just me being out of shape. I understand the point of HIIT is to go all out, but it might be best to tone it down a bit to a point where you feel safe.
  • bhatius
    bhatius Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I've just got back to running and am taking it easy. I started by running (7.5mph max) for 30 seconds and walking at a relaxed pace for 2 min to get my heart rate back down. I repeated this for about 20-30 min. I'm in the second week of this and the 'rest' bit has automatically reduced to a minute and a half. It's good because I don't feel exhausted and there's no pain in my legs and knees either. Perhaps you should try this.