Calories while sick

Options
I'm quite sick at the moment and I'm not sure how much I should be eating, since at this time I'm definitely sedentary, considering it hurts to move.

When I'm active and healthy I generally eat 1200-1400.

Replies

• LaurenLouG
    LaurenLouG Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Bumpity bump. Please help, I don't want to gain weight just because I'm glued to the couch against my will.
  • a39emm
    a39emm Posts: 14
    Options
    I'm in the same boat - hoping I don't gain with all this chicken broth and gatorade forced upon me!
  • jimshine
    jimshine Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I have had two different flu strains in the past 3 months! I am single, so I slept. Nibbled on something when i got up to drink and take medicine and that is it. I lost a lot of weight each time. I do believe the body is burning more calories than usual while battling the illness. I lost at least 15 pounds in a week during my first bout.
  • Babeskeez
    Babeskeez Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Dont worry about anything while you are sick. I certainly wouldnt want to force something that wont stay down!

But you probably should eat a bit more when you are feeling well. Generally 1200 isnt enough for anyone.
  • hhayes06
    hhayes06 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    When you are sick you should eat when you are hungry and not worry about how many calories you are consuming. Get lots of liquids and rest and get better, then start focusing on calories again. If you aren't hungry then don't eat, listen to your body so you can get well. I hope you feel better soon!
  • boroko
    boroko Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    The main thing to focus on when you are ill is taking in plenty of fluids and eating nutritious food. Have what you can face eating as long as it's not doughnuts and coke! Your body needs energy and nutrients to heal and you need a bit of comfort to keep you going. Most people tend to loose weight when they are ill due to loss of appetite. Hope you're better soon. :flowerforyou:
  • KS_4691
    KS_4691 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    What about whilst recovering from surgery? I'm not sure if I should adjust my calories as I currently am recovering.
  • Rebane1
    Rebane1 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Eat good quality food, no junk and forget the calories! Your body is under a lot of pressure right now and there is no point to make it even worse for yourself. Good balanced diet is what you need right now!
  • trudijoy
    trudijoy Posts: 1,685 Member
    Options
    just eat what you can and drink powerade or diluted juice or something.

When I'm that sick all I want is stewed apple and flat lemonade.
  • saltedcaramel86
    saltedcaramel86 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Relax about food for a few days and just concentrate on getting better. Eat what and when you're body is craving, drink plenty of fluids and rest as much as possible. A few days shouldn't harm in the grand scheme of things. Feel better soon!