"All-you-can-eat" restaurants

Options
Do you avoid these? What if there is a family (or other) function held there? ...perhaps just write it off as not getting your $$ worth and consider it a test of your willpower! :ohwell:

Replies

• avababy05
    avababy05 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    Do you avoid these? What if there is a family (or other) function held there? ...perhaps just write it off as not getting your $$ worth and consider it a test of your willpower! :ohwell:

I try to avoid them.There are no healthy choices at most of them and most of the food is loaded with sodium.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    My tips: Do a walk through first - scope out all the best stuff. Skip the crappy stuff that you know doesn't taste that fantastic. Start w/a huge salad.

If it's all great log 1,000 calories in your log and call it good.
  • Bakkasan
    Bakkasan Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Plan it as a cheat meal if you really want to! OR just eat veg and lean meats. However you want to really.
  • JusticeGirl25
    JusticeGirl25 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    I don't like to eat there for the simple fact that it's expensive. Yeah, they serve a TON of food, but not for that price.
  • JeneticTraining
    JeneticTraining Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    I go there when invited. I always drink lots of water and fill my plate with a bunch of veggies. I avoid fried and oily foods. Always have 1 dessert. I tend to talk a lot and I eat slowly when I eat out.
  • HotrodsGirl0107
    HotrodsGirl0107 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't choose to eat at a buffet but I don't avoid them. My husband is trying to gain and eats a ridiculous amount of calories (it isn't unusual for him to hit 4000+ a day. Buffets seem to work well for us. I usually make at least half my plate in salad and veggies with some type of grilled meat (usually chicken). I know it isn't the healthiest option because of the sodium but I never have trouble hitting my goals. Life is going to happen and I refuse to let my diet interfere with my life so I just make the healthiest choices I can and live my life. I am not one to dwell on "optimal" health anyway.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    It's a flexible offer

not a challenge.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    You don't have to eat your money's worth. It's not a competition. If you need to go there for a family function just make good choices. I never get my money's worth at one of those places but my hubby more than makes up for it.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    When I go to an all-you-can-eat restaurant, I eat all that I can. But that's only because I go there planning to do so. My family has never held a function there or anything.
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    My cheat days are almost always at all-you-can-eat sushi or Indian buffets.
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Unless it's a nice Brazillian steakhouse I have one theory on "all you can eat"

If they are giving me "all I can eat" of ANYTHING for $10.99 it's probably not the quality of food I want to be eating.
  • theCarlton
    theCarlton Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options
    This is the way I feel about any portion of food, large or small - I've agreed to pay $x for my meal, whatever it is. I will eat what I feel comfortable eating and be done. I don't feel guilty for leaving food behind, and I wouldn't feel guilty for only going up to a buffet table just once. "All-I-Can-Eat" is really just one serving of food.
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    I like them because I can have a little of something that is bad. We have then for sushi - I mean how can that be bad? The cafeteria style ones are much more difficult to find healthy solutions.

Calories are calories, you need to count them.
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    Unless it's a nice Brazillian steakhouse I have one theory on "all you can eat"

If they are giving me "all I can eat" of ANYTHING for $10.99 it's probably not the quality of food I want to be eating.

Amen! Obrigado!
  • Griffin220x
    Griffin220x Posts: 399
    Options

It's food, just eat there. Fit it into your macro's. One day won't kill you.
  • YoungDoc2B
    YoungDoc2B Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    Practicing moderation at an all you can eat restaurant? ain't nobody got time for that. I make sure to get my $$ worth. Besides, it's only one day. Let loose and enjoy yourself
  • SweetestLibby
    SweetestLibby Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    It's a flexible offer

not a challenge.

yep. I don't avoid them. I find the things that work into my plan and I eat them.
  • jdhoward_101
    jdhoward_101 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I generally avoid them, as i see 'all-you-can-eat' as a challenge! However, i went to one last night, as it was paid to us by work and it felt rude not to go. I tried to tell myself that i would be restrained, but i knew deep down i wouldn't be. And i totally wasn't. I know i'll pay for it, but it's a very rare treat!
  • zaxaz
    zaxaz Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    These buffets are my Achilles heel so I try my best to avoid them. If I can't because of a function, then I try to reduce my calorie intake in the other part of the day, avoid foods that I can make at home but choose not to (eg. pancakes), try to make healthier choices (the salads are often terrible because nobody eats them), and only take a small amount of whatever I take.

At the end of the day, one cheat meal isn't bad in the week if I don't overdo it...
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I don't avoid them.

I do however, eat less then usual before or have a nice workout before hand, so that I can eat what I want.