Help me figure out my calorie limit

Options
Hi friends,
I'm 5'0" and 168 lbs (sheesh...how did THAT happen??) and MFP has set my calorie limit at 1200. I've been really watching it for 10 days and at first I was extremely hungry all the time. I have only lost 1 pound, which I know is ok for just a week. I am trying to exercise for a half hour each day, but my cardio is terrible, so I'm trying to build up my stamina. My question is: should I be sticking to 1200 calories? i've been reading about TDEE and that seems to be ridiculously high (like 1700ish!) and I want to stick to the best paln to lose weight...not gain weight or go into starvation mode! Any advice for a pudgy apple?

Replies

• ObtainingBalance
    ObtainingBalance Posts: 1,446 Member
    Options
    Well, do you eat back exercise calories?

MFP tells you it's fine with the plan.
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    Try to hit 1350 and if you like caffeinated beverages like tea you can add those into your daily routine since caffeine is an appetite suppressant. I like eating high fiber foods because they sit like a brick in the stomach and keep me full. I'm not sure what you're eating, but don't assume 0 fat foods are better than the regular version. They'll add a lot of sugars to the fat free options, which in my opinion is worse. I'm a believer that if you eat whole foods and balanced meals your body won't feel the need to hold onto fat.
  • Kath1391
    Kath1391 Posts: 138
    Options
    I'm the same height & My BMR is 1294 calories so I've set mine do that,It's working and I don't feel hungry because I eat little and often.I've gone over a couple of times but everyone does.Fiddle around with your calories and see what works for you :)..Just please don't under-eat
  • geddyp
    geddyp Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Your BMR (it represents the minimum amount of energy needed to keep your body functioning, including breathing and keeping your heart beating) is 1465 so the 1200 MFP is giving you is not enough. I would do TDEE-15% which gives 1490 calories and eating back your exercise calories.
  • BaconMD
    BaconMD Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    Your BMR (it represents the minimum amount of energy needed to keep your body functioning, including breathing and keeping your heart beating) is 1465 so the 1200 MFP is giving you is not enough. I would do TDEE-15% which gives 1490 calories and eating back your exercise calories.
    Uh, TDEE already includes exercise calories. If you are somehow coming up with a figure that does not include exercise calories, it's no longer TDEE. The T stands for Total.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Have a look here.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/912920-in-place-of-a-road-map-3-2013

It would be useful to know what your BMR and TDEE are (lower and upper limit of sorts).