First Time Going To The Gym?

Options
What should I do? I've never been to the gym before. Going for the first time tonight. No clue how to use the equipment (though we are getting a tour so I assume I can ask questions)...

Suggestions on good machines or exercises?

Replies

• LadyIntrepid
    LadyIntrepid Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    It's really really worthwhile to invest in one session with a personal trainer so they can set you up with a routine that's right for you, make sure you're using the machines correctly, that your form is good, etc.

Otherwise, you can find really good beginner routines to follow on jefit.com. It's also an app so you can use your phone to work along with a routine.

Good luck! Have fun!!!
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    your gym should have a free introductory session for you. definitely take advantage of that since they will show you where everything is and will help guide you through the gym culture (every gym has it's own expectations).

majority of time this will be done with a persona trainer so that person can also show you some of the equipment. just be sure to give them details about what your goals are.. ie be more specific than weight loss. you'll get more bang for your buck (even if it is free :laugh: ) if you give them actual fitness related goals than nebulous ones like weight loss. some goals can be getting stronger, running a 10 k in x months, etc