Favorite Pressure Cooker Recipes

Doberdawn
Doberdawn Posts: 732 Member
Hey all! I just got a 6 qt. pressure cooker and made a totally YUMMY pot roast tonight. It's not the most lean or low calorie dish, to be sure.... but I did manage to make it healthier by replacing all salt with NoSalt. It was so delicious and flavorful that my Dad, who is normally a salt-a-holic, didn't even miss the salt. It made a reasonable serving size (3 oz. after-cooked weight with 3 tbsp. of gravy plus some potatoes, carrots and onions) that has only 170 mg of sodium. It also has 910 mg of potassium. Yes!! Calories are about 650 per serving, 43g protein, 3g fiber, 25g carb, 39g fat (eek!), 3g sugar. It is so delicious... it's worth it to me. <g> But, I would like some leaner recipes too. I have a pork tenderloin in my deep freezer. Got any good recipes for it? Let's share all our favorite and my soon-to-be favorite <g> recipes.

p.s. if anyone wants the pot roast recipe, just ask and I'll post it. I know it's not lean or low calorie... but it sure was yummy and high protein.

Replies

• Doberdawn
    NOBODY uses a pressure cooker on here? Really?!?!?!
  • Doberdawn
    Trying again. Helloooooooo?!??! Anyone out there?
  • lilred806
    lilred806 Posts: 195 Member
    I have a pressure cooker but usually only use it for canning. I was hoping this thread would have some ideas for me.
  • Time2LoseWeightNOW
    Time2LoseWeightNOW Posts: 1,730 Member
    I just got one , but I'm lacking in recipes, myself. I used boneless chicken breasts with the carrots, potatoes, and onion, with some lite salt seasonings...and it was very good.
  • zahid222
    zahid222 Posts: 233 Member
    bump
  • I have an electric pressure cooker and I love it and use it all the time. Mine came with a Wolfgang Puck recipe book and it has some really awesome recipes in it my favorite is the Pizza Soup Recipe.

PIZZA SOUP

1 can(s) petite diced tomatoes (28 oz.)
    1 md onion, chopped
    4 garlic cloves, sliced (i use chopped garlic from a jar)
    4 c chicken stock
    1 tsp salt
    1 tsp freshly ground pepper
    1 tsp dried oregano
    1 lb italian sausage, cooked and drained
    3 oz pepperoni ( i used a whole bag of the mini pepperonis)
    1 green pepper, diced
    1/2 c dry ditalini pasta

Place all ingredients (except cheese) into pressure cooker and secure lid. Set timer to 8 minutes on soup setting.

I usually will sprinkle a little mozz cheese on mine as a topping.

My whole family loves this recipe.
  • kellijauch
    kellijauch Posts: 379 Member
    Are you talking a pressure cooker, or a slow cooker (crock pot)?

Pressure cooker - no idea.

Crock pot - go to thegraciouspantry.com
    She has a lot of slow-cooker recipes that are simple and delicious as well as low calorie. I love it. I have tried a few and they are great. If it doesn't have the nutrition info on the site (some of the recipes don't) then you can add your recipe into MFP's recipe calculator and it will tell you.
  • I use my pressure cooker mostly for cooking dried beans because it takes hardly any time at all for them to cook. I have been using many recipes from this site: www.hippressurecooking.com
    She has some very interesting recipes, but I usually reconfigure them with healthier substitutes for lower calorie dishes.

Do some experimenting...that's the fun part of cooking. Enjoy!!
  • Doberdawn
    I did mean pressure cooker. I do use my crock pot frequently, but this is new to me.

For the pot roast, salt and pepper the meat on all sides (I use NoSalt to avoid sodium). Add a little oil and sear the meat first, remove meat and drain excess fat/oil, then pile the veggies in the pot (1 onion, 3 cloves garlic, carrots and little red potatoes), add in the meat (this was a 2.75 lb roast), add 2 cups of beef broth, cook 35 minutes. Remove meat and veggies. Whisk in 3 tbsp all purpose flour (I eat gluten free so I used King Arthur GF all purpose) over medium-low heat till gravy thickens. Fast and easy.
  • SophinMaine
    SophinMaine Posts: 48 Member
    I use my pressure cooker all the time, especially in fall-winter. Mine is a SEB and came with a nice little recipe booklet. full of ideas It's great for preparing a whole meal in 20-30 mn!

We use it mainly for veggies:
    -artichokes (18 mn cooking time, then serve with a vianigrette - shallots, Dijon mustard, balsamic vinegar, olive oil, herbs and garlic)
    - green beans for salad liégeoise etc
    - potatoes
    - asparagus
    etc.

and for meals / stews:

- couscous
    - tajine
    - chicken italienne
    - chicken basquaise
    - pork and pineapple stew
    - pork, bacon and lentil stew
    - boeuf bourguignon
    etc. etc.

and soups! Lots of soups.

With the pressure cooker, you don't lose any nutrients / vitamins, and it's all so darn FAST! I don't know what I would do without it.

I'm sure there are plenty of recipes online.
  • jett254
    jett254 Posts: 64 Member
    I have a pressure cooker and love it! I've made lots of good things in it --

1. Dried beans - which I then use to make a veggie chili usually
    2. Steamed vegetables - broccoli, green beans, brussel sprouts, etc...
    3. Butternut squash or acorn squash - quick and easy, sometimes just use as a side side in pieces, sometimes mashed
    4. Cauliflower and garlic, steamed in pressure cooker and then mashed with a little bit of low fat buttermilk for a fake mashed potato
    5. Soups - I just throw in a bunch of veggies with some chicken stock and then puree afterwards
    6. Chicken stock - after I make a rotisserie or roasted chicken, I throw in the carcass with some carrots/onions/celery and make chicken stock

In terms of actual recipes as opposed to the above easy stuff, I've made chicken cacciatore (tomato sauce, bone in chicken parts, onions/carrots/celery/peppers/mushrooms), corned beef (not too bad calorie wise if you trim it before), chicken curry, etc.....

Edited to add - this site has some good stuff that you can easily lighten up:
    http://peggyunderpressure.com/

Hope that helps!
  • maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    bumping because I've been thinking about getting a pressure cooker for years.

I love my crockpot, but would love a fast way to cook beans and soups (esp. on the days I forget to load the crockpot in the am).
  • Doberdawn
    - chicken basquaise
    - pork and pineapple stew
    - pork, bacon and lentil stew

I don't suppose you'd share your personal recipes for these? They sound yummy.
  • Doberdawn
    In terms of actual recipes as opposed to the above easy stuff, I've made chicken cacciatore (tomato sauce, bone in chicken parts, onions/carrots/celery/peppers/mushrooms), corned beef (not too bad calorie wise if you trim it before), chicken curry, etc.....

OOoooh.... that sounds good.... How long did you cook the chicken cacciatore? Did you add any spices or seasonings? Or just the red sauce and veggies?
  • ryanarrowsmith
    ryanarrowsmith Posts: 10 Member
    I bought a stove-top pressure cooker a few weeks ago and have been loving it! I find it especially good for curries that I would normally let slow cook for hours.

I normally buy some cheaper cuts of beef, brown it off with olive or coconut oil and throw in some sweet potatoes, onion, garlic, Indian spices and a some chicken stock, let it cook under pressure for 10-12 minutes.

Once it's done, I add a teaspoon of cornflour to thicken it up, the meat comes out so tender and delicious.

I make enough for a few dinners and lunches and put it in the freezer :)
  • Paganrosemama
    Paganrosemama Posts: 86 Member
    bump

I have used mine to cook larger ducks or a goose durring the holiday when the oven was otherwise occupied.
    I also have used it to cook dry beans
    and of course canning garden goodies and chicken broth.
  • jett254
    jett254 Posts: 64 Member

OOoooh.... that sounds good.... How long did you cook the chicken cacciatore? Did you add any spices or seasonings? Or just the red sauce and veggies?

Try using this recipe (I skip the oil and just saute in broth):
    http://www.food.com/recipe/chicken-cacciatore-pressure-cooker-265711
  • shaunwewege
    shaunwewege Posts: 14 Member
    I bought a book titled "The Complete Idiots Guide To Pressure Cooking" for my Kindle and have put it to great use. I didn't realise it, but you can make everything from soup to cheesecake in a pressure cooker. It's a real time saver too - soups that would take hours ordinarily take 10-12 minutes.

But give the book a read - if you're new to pressure cooking it will be an invaluable resource.
  • Doberdawn
    I bought a book titled "The Complete Idiots Guide To Pressure Cooking" for my Kindle and have put it to great use. I didn't realise it, but you can make everything from soup to cheesecake in a pressure cooker. It's a real time saver too - soups that would take hours ordinarily take 10-12 minutes.

But give the book a read - if you're new to pressure cooking it will be an invaluable resource.

Library has it... and a bunch of others... even one all on vegetarian pressure cooking... for those who do that. Interesting.
  • gogoboobzilla
    gogoboobzilla Posts: 91 Member
    In addition to some of the other stuff on here, I used it to cook sweet potatoes for chipotle mashed potatoes.