Yet another question about plateauing

Options
Hi - i KNOW this has been done to death but I really cant find the answer Im looking for - so thought I'd start my own thread.

I started on a 1200 calorie diet in October last year (crazy I know) and lost some weight (about 8 kgs) and then hit a massive plateau. I also was dizzy and vague all the time - so did some research and upped my calories to around 1640 per day

I weight train or run 3 times a week and workout with a trainer once a week on average - I wear a HRM and burn over 500 cals every workout. Im mostly vegetarian (I eat chicken occasionally), dont eat crap... stick to my cals - yet I am STUCK at 178 pounds (Im 5'9") - my goal is around 155 pounds - so still 15 to go.

Im at my wits end - I mix up my workouts, I eat clean and well, yet I just dont.lose.weight. I HAVE gained a fair bit of muscle but I still dont think this all adds up.

My TDEE is 2184 and I deducted 20% = 1700 cals per day

Any suggestions would be very welcome!

Replies

• Frankii_x
    Frankii_x Posts: 238
    Options
    Hey there lovely,

I'm sorry I can't help as such but I'm in exactly the same position as you! I weighed 199lbs at one point and I'm not stuck at 176.6 (exactly) and have weighed this (to the decimal point) for 3 months!!!

I've done exactly the same as you - gone by my TDEE and deducted 20% and I also wear a HRM and know I burn over 500 cals per workout and have weekly deficits that should calculate to me losing weight and still NOTHING!

If you want to add me feel free and we can see if we can work something out together and try different things :) x
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    How long have you been set at 1700? Do you reach that goal or are you under on a regular basis, and by how much?

If it's been 4-6 weeks with no progress, double check your numbers and activity level. I'm 5'8" and got through my last 10lbs (and plenty of fat and inches) on over 1800 cals a day. If you are burning 500 cals per workout, you may need to eat more.

If it's only been a short amount of time, you may just need to be patient - sometimes it takes awhile for the body to adjust to the changes.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    With only 15lbs left to lose, you should probably up your calories again (maybe TDEE-15%). Weight loss naturally slows as you get closer to goal. Also, do you estimate portions? Do you measure with measuring cups or with a food scale? Do you take your measurements? Are your clothes fitting differently?