Beginner Runners or C25Kers

Options
2»

Replies

• lindajay3
    lindajay3 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I'd been using c25k for a while but eventually just started "running" for as long as I could, usually around a mile and a quarter. I usually set my treadmill at between 4.2-4.5 and slow it down to a walk when I need to. When I started "running" outside I finished 3miles in 50 minutes (slooow!) - but I just finished my first actual 5k in 40 minutes - that was the goal I had set for myself but didn't really expect to meet. Actually running with others helped up my pace some without even knowing it. I'd like to be a little faster, but for me being able to finish is a huge accomplishment! Never saw myself as a runner before! I'm so glad i had a friend who had never done a race before get me to take the plunge and sign up for one - I would never have entered one alone.
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    Okay, I took the advice of the previous posters and went to Running Free to be fitted for some running shoes. Apparently I pronate and need a fair amount of support so I got a pair of Brooks shoes that feel good, will put them to the test at 4:30 hehehe. I hope this helps with my shins :)

Too bad I wasted 40.00 on the Reeboks I chose based on price and colour... whoops!!! Oh well, I'm on the right track now (no pun intended lol)
  • ohkola
    ohkola Posts: 16
    Options
    I think I'm averaging between a 15 and 16 minute mile. One time I was at the gym on the treadmill and during one of my running spurts from Couch to 5K, I noticed that the lady next to me was walking and reading a book at the speed I was running at. AND I was completely out of breath.

Don't worry, you'll get there!
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    I think I'm averaging between a 15 and 16 minute mile. One time I was at the gym on the treadmill and during one of my running spurts from Couch to 5K, I noticed that the lady next to me was walking and reading a book at the speed I was running at. AND I was completely out of breath.

Don't worry, you'll get there!

This is precisely why I run on a trail! Nobody can see me LOL I do wonder how long it will take someone to find my crumpled body if one of those intervals I do end up dying in the brush though! hahaah
  • ghimm
    ghimm Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I run at 5.0-5.5mph... 7.75mph is not a zombie pace...

Edit: I think I'm confused on your conversion.

It was just calculated backwards. 6km/h is 3.7mph. :)
  • astrotam
    astrotam Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Yay! I'm not the only one!!! I only run at about 5mph - any faster and I would be killing myself! I guess we just gotta keep it up and maybe our speed will improve the longer we run? Maybe our bodies just need to get into the groove...ha!
  • Angimom
    Angimom Posts: 1,463 Member
    Options
    I am also a slow jogger, between 4.5-5.0, but I can last longer than when I was trying to jog at a 6.0, so this way is better I think.
    Keep up the good work everyone!
  • XtyAnn17
    XtyAnn17 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    LOL some of these folks who think they're running slow are smoking me! HA HA!!! i jog on my treadmill at about 4mph. I have a permanent injury to my left leg and foot so I 'try' to push it but not too hard. i finished the C25K program and have done several 5K's, but I've been pretty lazy the past few weeks.......... getting over the flu or whatever was creeping around here. I'm sure I'll have to back track a little, maybe go back to week 4 or 5. Honestly just go what you can, i don't care that everyone passes me by, even old ladies out for a walk while I"m jogging, HA! :laugh:

I also jog at 4.0! It works well for me for now