Free weights vs machines?

Options
I'm going to start lifting weights, but I'm curious... What's the big difference between free weights & machines? Does one do a better job than the other?

Replies

• RoadsterGirlie
    RoadsterGirlie Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I'm a fan of free weights much more so than machines. However, one reason is because I don't have a gym membership and my home-owned free weights are far more convenient.

Free weights also make you learn proper form, which is vitally important. The double edge sword is you can hurt yourself easier if you don't learn proper form with the free weights.
  • jadams1650
    jadams1650 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Starting out it really doesn't matter. For fitness, machines can do an adequate job and as another poster said they are safer. Eventually, you will likely want to graduate to free weights since they provide a more thorough workout (due to the requirement to stabilize the weight in addition to accelerating it). This recruits the smaller muscle groups surrounding the target muscles and provides better overall muscle fatigue. Just make sure you know proper form and safety before you move to free weights...can be a bit embarrassing (and dangerous) dropping a barbell on your head.