3/4 cup of pasta?

Options
thendrick
thendrick Posts: 102 Member
If the box and MFP says 3/4 cup pasta is 300 calories, do they mean 3/4 cup COOKED pasta, or 3/4 cup raw pasta (which would expand to more than 3/4 cup cooked)?

Replies

• Behavior_Modification
    Behavior_Modification Posts: 24,482 Member
    Options
    3/4 cup raw
  • hjsyndrome
    hjsyndrome Posts: 215
    Options
    Most pastas do not put the cooked value, and cooked volume is going to be more than raw. So does anyone know what the rule of thumb would be for measuring pasta properly?
  • GoingToLoseIt
    Options
    I checked a few of my boxes - out of the 5 types of pasta noodles I had, 2 of them had both measurements, with the cooked equivalent in parenthesis.

I personally always measure after it is cooked. Lots of pastas have a serving size of 3/4 cup or 1 cup. If you measure that out before it's cooked, it makes a significantly larger portion once cooked - and that seems like way too much.
  • thendrick
    thendrick Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    So could I assume that 1 1/2 cups of the cooked penne is 600 calories?
    I'm just not sure how I would know how much 3/4 cup makes once it's cooked (b/c I'll be cooking the whole box for the whole family.)
  • cfischer81
    cfischer81 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I find this hard to figure out too because 3/4 of penne pasta isn't going to be much, with it being a "tubelike" pasta and all. If you're really second guessing yourself you could also look at how many serving are in a box (usually 8), get out the measuring cup and do some investigating....it probably sounds a little obsessive to some but then you'll know for sure!