Gym membership starts in 2 weeks, help!

Options
Platnex
Platnex Posts: 110 Member
Hey folks, very quick over view about myself.

Currently around the 280 pounds mark, physically I can do anything in the gym aside from swim (confidence issues) no injurys or anything along those lines and currently unemployed so I am focusing on the weight loss.

Now, my gym membership goes live in 13 days, I saved a ton of money to wait until April so I could not pass that due to the mentioned unemployment, what I am wondering is what can I do to prepare myself physically and mentally for getting back into the gym?

I am slowly trying to change my diet from living on frozen food to add more fresh veg, lower the portion size and lower the sugar in my coffee and try cut soft drinks out all fully (only having about a can or two of coke a week at the moment as it is so not a huge worry)

Aside from that I would really be thankful if anyone can lend any advice, I am used to the gym and I have a decent enough idea of what I want to/will do however I am not sure how to spend the two weeks to prepare.

Replies

• leighann881
    leighann881 Posts: 371
    Options
    Hey folks, very quick over view about myself.

Currently around the 280 pounds mark, physically I can do anything in the gym aside from swim (confidence issues) no injurys or anything along those lines and currently unemployed so I am focusing on the weight loss.

Now, my gym membership goes live in 13 days, I saved a ton of money to wait until April so I could not pass that due to the mentioned unemployment, what I am wondering is what can I do to prepare myself physically and mentally for getting back into the gym?

I am slowly trying to change my diet from living on frozen food to add more fresh veg, lower the portion size and lower the sugar in my coffee and try cut soft drinks out all fully (only having about a can or two of coke a week at the moment as it is so not a huge worry)

Aside from that I would really be thankful if anyone can lend any advice, I am used to the gym and I have a decent enough idea of what I want to/will do however I am not sure how to spend the two weeks to prepare.

Start doing bodyweight exercises. (pushups, air squats, burpees, mountain climbers, planks, triceps dips, step ups) And stationary cardio (jump rope, high knees, butt kicks, jumping jacks) You don't need a gym to be fit :-) if you start doing a few of these a day for 3-5 sets of 10 reps you will notice a difference.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Buy New Rules of Weightlifting For Life and read it twice over the next two weeks
  • Alex12smith
    Alex12smith Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    A quick note about frozen food - don't feel bad about frozen vegies, if they're snap frozen :) They often have as much of the goodness of fresh. Not saying you shouldn't eat fresh, fresh is great! But frozen is also great, so do both! :)
  • Platnex
    Options
    Buy New Rules of Weightlifting For Life and read it twice over the next two weeks

I don't plan on doing much weights work aside from a little bit to keep the body feeling good, I am mainly planing on cardio.
  • Platnex
    Options
    A quick note about frozen food - don't feel bad about frozen vegies, if they're snap frozen :) They often have as much of the goodness of fresh. Not saying you shouldn't eat fresh, fresh is great! But frozen is also great, so do both! :)

I do agree however it is more the frozen fries, frozen chicken steaks in breadcrumb and the likes that have been a staple because of the low cost I want to shift away from.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Why bother joining a gym art all then? Save the money and just go run outside.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    What do you need help with?

Just go and do it when the day comes. The first day may seem weird cause it's a new environment full of people who live at the gym but that weird feeling goes away. When you find the right gym and equipment that you like, you will be there often.

Also do more strength than cardio.. when you are at the gym, take advantage of the free weights and lifting area. Squats, deadlifts, bench press and some other barbell exercises should be part of your weekly regime!