Advice for low impact exercise

Options
Hi guys, I recently started 30DS and it kicked my butt a bit, but by the third day I started feeling stronger and being able to do everything. Then the 4th day I noticed an extreme tightening in the back of my right knee. It was to the point that I would limp if I walked at my normal pace. I waited the weekend to recoop and now I no longer feel the tightness, but it does ache every now and then. Do I need to do some knee strengthening exercises before going back to Shred or do I need to do some low impact exercises? I am really confused on what I need to do, and I don't really want to not work out at all. It's a little frustrating as I was feeling really good with the 30DS.

Replies

• farsteve
    farsteve Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Try and make sure that you are really warmed up before going full bore into the 30DS workout, like almost sweating warmed up. And/or convert the 30DS workout into a low impact workout, take it down a few notches, no jumps or quick movements, just slow and easy. (well maybe, I have never seen the 30DS workout so I may just be blowing smoke here)

Pain in the back of the knee or the back of the leg? Lots of knee issues can be helped with strengthening of the quads. Body weight squats, static squats against a wall, lunges (as long as there is no pain and you are warmed up) may help. Cold packs after working out may help bring some of the inflammation down, too. Ibuprofen may help and of course if it persists, you should see a doctor.
  • ChrisLindsay9
    ChrisLindsay9 Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    Also, you may want to double-check your form on exercises involving the knees. If you can video record it with your phone, that would be helpful too. Hope this little hiccup passes, and you're back to 100%.
  • Dulcemami4ever
    Dulcemami4ever Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys for the advice!! I will check my form and see if I can strengthen my knee's and better warmups to see if thats the issue. I recently got this knee strengthening dvd so I hope it works. I think it may be that I have not worked out like that in years and I sort of just threw myself into it lol.
  • ashleymcn01
    ashleymcn01 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Jillian Michael's workouts are really hard on the knees. If you find something is causing you pain, just switch out with a different exercise. For example, doing lunges can cause me knee joint pain, so I just switch out with different types of squats instead.

JM doesn't give great advice on form, so just be careful with her workouts. Start slow and then work up once the leg muscles have built up.
  • Dulcemami4ever
    Dulcemami4ever Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Thank you :) I will give it a try. I def do not want to hurt myself.