30 day shred question...?

Options
Do you go for like 10 day straight....or do YOU give yourself a break?
I was thinking about taking a little break, good idea or bad?
I don't wanna overdo myself but at the same time...I don't know if I should take a break.

Sounds kinda dumb but I just want a second opinion

Replies

• Rhonnie
    Rhonnie Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    There are two parts to this... your body may need a break, and it would not hurt to give it one day off, maybe two. BUT the other part of it is do you have the willpower to start again once you lose momentum? Only you can answer that.

So physically, taking a day off may be what you need, but if you decide to do that you need an iron-clad plan on making sure you do not take more then a day off (assuming there is no injury you need to recover from)
  • s123144
    s123144 Posts: 2
    Options
    I am on day 6 level 1. I didn't take a break till now only coz I thought if I skip I might lose motivation. But honestly, I think it depends person to person. If your body aches too much then I think you should give your self a break because you don't want any injuries. My first day was okay didn't ache that much but the 2nd day was horrible. I couldn't walk as my legs hurt. But I still went ahead and did it and today I am on day 6 and I am starting to feel better. It's become a routine I feel. My body is getting used to it.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    Any exercise programme should have built in rest/recovery days. Your muscles grow and repair themselves when you rest, not when you work out. (you need to be eating at a surplus for them to actually grow though, but the repair/recovery process applies even if you're eating at a deficit) - this applies to any exercise that works the muscles hard, i.e. strength training (you can do light to moderate cardio without needing to rest so much, although even with that beginners may be working the muscles hard enough from cardio to require more rest)

The idea that you should not stop or rest, or that it's bad to do so, is incorrect. You need to give your body time to recouperate, then you come back stronger the next time. So you should build rest days into your programme (or light cardio days if you're reasonably fit and light cardio is not putting any major strain on the muscles)

As to how often with 30DS... well go by the video's recommendations. It's not as intense as weight training (where the advice is don't work out the same muscle groups on two consecutive days) but it's not a walk in the park either and for people who are going from sedentary to working out for the first time, it probably does work the muscles hard enough to need more rest days.

Plan your rest days in advance, so you don't fall into the habit of having a "rest day" because you don't feel like working out. If you don't really feel like resting, then do light cardio on your rest days (so long as you're taking it easy because your muscles need time to rest and recover.... walking intensity cardio is what you're aiming for, or total rest)
  • MakingApril
    MakingApril Posts: 178
    Options
    I am on day 6 level 1. I didn't take a break till now only coz I thought if I skip I might lose motivation. But honestly, I think it depends person to person. If your body aches too much then I think you should give your self a break because you don't want any injuries. My first day was okay didn't ache that much but the 2nd day was horrible. I couldn't walk as my legs hurt. But I still went ahead and did it and today I am on day 6 and I am starting to feel better. It's become a routine I feel. My body is getting used to it.
    Yea, I'm on day 2,and my body is aching...I was thinking of seeing how much pain I'm in from walking the stairs at my school and if' it's not too bad i might do day 3. I'm just worried I may overpush myself
  • NikinCilla
    NikinCilla Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Im on day 2 level 1 and I was thinking the same thing too. Wasnt too bad yesterday but today Im aching in my legs. Happy with the ache and looking forward to how I feel end of this week :)
  • Mimoki
    Mimoki Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I'm on Level 2 day 5. I take a break every 6 days. I read online that Jillian recommends a rest day for your muscles to recovery even though it is marketed as 30 days straight. But it is up to your own discretion.
  • Rhonnie
    Rhonnie Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Yea, I'm on day 2,and my body is aching...I was thinking of seeing how much pain I'm in from walking the stairs at my school and if' it's not too bad i might do day 3. I'm just worried I may overpush myself

That kind of soreness you do not want to take a break from... push through day 2 and 3 it helps the pain!
  • AmberSpamber
    AmberSpamber Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Yes, you should give your body breaks to rest. It is needed. I have a calendar that I printed up that I write down all the "events" for the month on. I use those days as my break days and know everything else is a work out day. That calendar helps keep me motivated.
  • lesliesmmmacres
    Options
    Resting your body is a good thing...I am on the third time through the entire 3 levels...YOU will get more staminia as you go, and you will see results if you try as hard as you can. Jillian and I have a love/hate relationship....I curse her while I work out, but I praise her when I look in the mirror! Good luck EVERYONE on your journey...you will see results, remember, "there are 400 lb people that can do this!!" LOL:flowerforyou:
  • adorable_aly
    adorable_aly Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    It took me 40 days to get through the shred. I did the first 10 without a break, and then lost motivation, so took it a lot slower, the other two levels were harder and I really hated doing it to be honest. While it took me longer to do it, on the days I took off I was doing zumba/dance/pilates/turbofire. I was just so bored.

I'd say have a day off every week. The first few days will cause some soreness, but you will push through it after day 4-5, then you'll be grand :)