Strength training calories burned

I've just started MFP and quite shocked to see the number of cals I'm consuming regularly!

I go to the gym weekly for cardio and strength workouts and change the programme often to keep motivated and avoid getting used to the same exercises. I'm just realising I should be doing more exercise through the week and I'm finding ways of accommodating this.

It's great that MFP records the cals burned for a workout and see the benefit of training. However, why is there no calorie burn for strength training? Can this be recorded?

Any tips or advice with bumping the calories burned would be great too :happy:

Replies

• paulperryman
    paulperryman Posts: 839 Member
    just record it as cardio since it does still incorporate the cardiovascular system despite what others will say, as far as i'm concerned if you are huffing and puffing or sweating you are burning fuel and thus burning fat

there is all the usual strength training items in the cardio section, if not just create it or just chose Circuit Training, If you have a heart monitor you can get a reasonable guide to record whatever you want, you could log every single thing you did during the day if you so chose to. Personally i just log my gym workout in entirety and my walk to and from the gym + any other extended exercise i do. The rest is really covered in your Daily Expenditure unless you burn like a machine doing whatever it is.

For me personally i do 30mins of cardio and then jump to weights the strain of the resistance (i'm still weak with weights) is enough to keep the heart rate up for the rest of the hour i do and the burn doesn't drop off during weights if anything it increases in intensity .
  • ChrisLindsay9
    ChrisLindsay9 Posts: 837 Member
    You have to log it under cardiovascular workout. The strength exercises is more for logging and keeping track of your exercises.

Click Exercises -> Click Exercise Database -> Select "or choose an exercise below -> Select Strength Training (weight lifting, weight training) and fill in the time.

It's a pretty good estimator for full body or upper/lower body workout day schedules. A little less reliable for splits, but still has relevance.