You should study nutrition because...

Options

Replies

• FitandFab33
    FitandFab33 Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    You left off over-eating/bingeing,
    Chronic weighing (defined as more than once per week by the AND)
    and a host of other ritualistic food behaviors and food associated behaviors that can be considered disordered eating habits. It's rampant. :-)

I haven't read the sources... but I will eventually and I'm sure I'll have something snarky or complimentary to say, mostly because I just like to say things.
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    These sources support the "eat pop tarts and ice cream" crowd if anyone was wondering. There are many, many other valid viewpoints on nitrition, presented by people who aren't obnoxious like Aragon.

Funny quote is funny!

Aragon isn't obnoxious, BTW. He just goes against the orthorexic point of view.
  • FitMrsR
    FitMrsR Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    If you've done any of these things, ever, I consider you as risk for serious health issues in the future. Eating disorders don't just manifest themselves overnight. So, don't think , "I'm special, that'll never be me". You're not special.

This is why people should spend some serious time doing real research on proper nutrition.

I especially agree with this. It actually happened to me and before I even realized what was happening I had a full blown eating disorder (it won't happen to everyone) now I'm fighting to recover and I wish I had noticed earlier so it didn't get so bad :drinker:
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    These sources support the "eat pop tarts and ice cream" crowd if anyone was wondering. There are many, many other valid viewpoints on nitrition, presented by people who aren't obnoxious like Aragon.

Funny quote is funny!

Aragon isn't obnoxious, BTW. He just goes against the orthorexic point of view.

in a rather rude and obnoxious way...

I actually don't disagree with him so much (10-20% as discretionary calories for example) as I just don't dig the way he packages it. making fun of people and ripping on people for being concerned about their food choices, etc.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I haven't read the sources... but I will eventually and I'm sure I'll have something snarky or complimentary to say, mostly because I just like to say things.

I like your honesty :laugh:
  • soldier4242
    soldier4242 Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    ...even professionals are leading you in the wrong direction. Learning about proper nutrition will save you a lot of wasted time and you'll get to your goals faster.

When I take on clients I make them do ridiculous amounts of research. Its not enough for me to just summarize things to them. People always end up trying to tweak things when they don't understand the mechanics of proper nutrition. It never works out as well as it could have. I always tell them that if they spent two less hours training a week and used those two hours to read they would inevitably reach their goals faster in the long run. I believe that when I say it.

Tons of people have mild eating disorders. Probably half the people reading this have mild eating disorders. Ive been a victim myself. Its not your fault really. You just have misinformation flying at you from every direction. Even people who understand nutrition often find themselves doing some things they shouldn't. Bad habbits die hard. Stop them before they start.

By mild eating disorders I mean

-You eat too little
    -Nutrition outweighs friendship and social occasions
    -Your diet has ruined friendships
    -You consider certain foods to be taboo
    -You do extra exercise when you eat things you feel guilty about
    -You fast if you over eat for the day

To name a few.

If you've done any of these things, ever, I consider you as risk for serious health issues in the future. Eating disorders don't just manifest themselves overnight. So, don't think , "I'm special, that'll never be me". You're not special.

This is why people should spend some serious time doing real research on proper nutrition.

Heres the sources I suggest.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13

Read stickies^

www.bodyrecomposition.com

www.alanaragonblog.com

www.leangains.com

http://www.youtube.com/user/IceCreamFitness

If you read all that you'd know more than ~99% of people everywhere. You can learn it in a month easily. Spend all your time learning rather than asking questions.

And tell me, sir, why are YOUR sources unbiased?

Truth is they aren't.

Wow, you just love to try to start trouble dont you?
    And just yesterday I was saying to other people here it seemed like you were making some sense and not being as...well, I dont want to attack, so just what is your problem?

Alright hold the phone. Are you saying he is a trouble maker simply for doing something other than agreeing. I have not done any fact checking on this post yet so I won't address his actual links as I don't know what they say. What I can tell you before I check anything is that this guy is advocating personal research which I completely agree with but he isn't bullet proof.

He opens with "even professionals are leading you in the wrong direction" and later he says "When I take on clients..." If you are taking on clients the implication is that you are being paid for what you are doing which makes you a professional. At this point we have to assume that what he means is that other professionals are misleading us but not this professional he is the good one. There is nothing wrong with that since all professionals should be advocating the information that has brought them success but it does illuminate the fact that the information provided here is going to be brand specific if you will excuse the metaphoric use.

All this other guy did was point out that there is still a bias present and then he gave his own biased position. BTW bias is not some horrible evil thing. If you tell any story from your perspective then it becomes biased the moment you give your opinion about anything in it. Then he makes an assertion about the actual content but he does not defend his assertion with anything he just sort of says it and the last thing he says is simply that there are multiple valid points on nutrition. If this constitutes being a trouble maker then why are we even wasting out time posting replies at all?
  • murphy612
    murphy612 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    You had me up until you listed your resources, then you lost all credibility.
  • tomdrinkard
    tomdrinkard Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    bump
  • annepage
    annepage Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the resources.
  • LesaLu4
    LesaLu4 Posts: 83
    Options
    Bump... Thus is interesting.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Those are great links, OP! :flowerforyou:
  • smittieaj
    smittieaj Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    -You do extra exercise when you eat things you feel guilty about

How is this one a disorder? In its extremes, I could understand that there might be a problem (Bulimia?), but what might be wrong with ingesting a extra thousand calories, say in the form of pizza, and then having a nice long run to burn it off?
  • barebon
    barebon Posts: 80 Member
    Options

Truth is they aren't.

I thought you had decided to like poptarts after all?

Sometimes the truth hurts but his point is 100% valid. And I wouldn't necessarily call him obnoxious he's giving constructive criticism but you on the other hand are giving rude criticism. Maybe place some other perspectives as examples or other alternative ideas if you think he is wrong.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options

Truth is they aren't.

They tend to base their claims on vetted studies. Still biased? Yes, but less so than many other people peddling their wares.
  • April_Christine
    April_Christine Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Yep!!! :laugh:
  • CoachReddy
    Options

Truth is they aren't.

I thought you had decided to like poptarts after all?

Sometimes the truth hurts but his point is 100% valid. And I wouldn't necessarily call him obnoxious he's giving constructive criticism but you on the other hand are giving rude criticism. Maybe place some other perspectives as examples or other alternative ideas if you think he is wrong.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/937904-you-should-study-nutrition-the-other-perspective

there ya go. :)
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options

A lot of the information cited doesn't provide adequate proof of it's claims. Some of it is fully vetted, no doubt, but there's a lot there that's 'do this and you'll feel better...just because'.
  • CoachReddy
    Options

A lot of the information cited doesn't provide adequate proof of it's claims. Some of it is fully vetted, no doubt, but there's a lot there that's 'do this and you'll feel better...just because'.

none of the links I posted are "you'll feel better... just because"

doctors don't get through harvard on "just because"
  • CandiSki
    CandiSki Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Bump