I like to make creamy avocado dressing.

1 Avocado
    1/4cup milk
    3cloves garlic
    Fresh cilantro
    1 juice from lemon
    Salt
    Pepper

Blend in blender. Depending on how thick you like it add more milk.
    Best dressing ever!
    ^^^^^^^^^^ YUM! I love cilantro!
  • climbamnt
    climbamnt Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I don't know that it is the best for you, but google hot bacon vinegrette - nom nom nom!

Cook Time: 10 minutes
    Total Time: 10 minutesIngredients:
    •4 tablespoons bacon drippings
    •1/2 cup finely chopped red onion
    •2 cups water
    •1/2 cup honey
    •1/2 cup red wine vinegar
    •1 tablespoon plus 1 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
    •1 teaspoon Tabasco, or to taste, optional
    •2 tablespoons dijon mustard

Preparation:
    Place the bacon grease in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the onions and saute until the onions start to brown. While the onions are carmelizing, put water in a mixing bowl with honey, red wine vinegar, and Tabasco. Using a wire whisk, mix the ingredients well.
    Add the cornstarch and whisk well. After the onions have carmelized, add the Dijon mustard to the onions and stir together with a rubber spatula. Add the water, vinegar, pepper sauce honey and cornstarch to the mustard and onions and mix. Continue stirring until mix thickens and just begins to boil. Remove from heat and store in refigerator until needed. Reheat in a double boiler or over very low heat setting or microwave.
  • carrieliz81
    carrieliz81 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I hate "lite" or reduced fat salad dressings... they have a yuck chemical taste. I stick to a variety of vinaigrettes, and I change it up frequently so I don't get too bored. Raspberry balsamic, regular balsamic, italian, sweet pepper, etc, etc.... I also like the yogurt dressings... they taste good but are creamy and low-cal!
  • jennyrebekka
    jennyrebekka Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    thanks for the question.....i have been trying to kick Ranch to the curb, too......
    I like the Trader Joe's cilantro dressing.....if you have a TJ near you.
  • mrsfoster102613
    mrsfoster102613 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    If you want to be extra healthy but provide your body with something easy to digest, try making some raw dressings. For example, raw ranch dressing:

http://www.therawtarian.com/raw-ranch-dressing-recipe

Though I am a BIG fan of Greek yogurt, our bodies don't digest dairy as easily as it does raw ingredients. Maybe try alternating between a raw dressing like the one above and a dairy-based one.

Also, I LOVE Natalia Rose's Liquid Gold Elixir dressing (also raw and nut-free). I don't have the recipe memorized, but it's so yummy and goes with so many things. I Googled, and this came up:

Liquid Gold Elixir (SALAD DRESSING)

2 cups fresh lemon juice
    3 whole cloves garlic
    3 tablespoons minced ginger
    3 tablespoons Nama Shoyu soy sauce
    3 heaping tablespoons raw honey (or more if desired)
    1 ½ cups cold-pressed olive oil

1. Place all of the ingredients except the oil in blender.
    2. Begin blending at normal speed.
    3. As the mixture is blending, slowly add the olive oil until it’s completely blended.

*This recipe should last over a week in the fridge

Pretty sure that's about right, but I admit I typically half or quarter it when I make it. I sometimes eat my salads dry, so I don't often need a whole batch every week. Still very tasty, and I enjoy it down to the last spoonful.
  • meadow_sage
    meadow_sage Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I love my ranch, too - so it was totally difficult to kick that! :noway:
    Now I really enjoy a good fat-free raspberry vinaigrette - it has so much flavor, and so few calories! The "Ken's" brand has some really good "light" and fat-free dressings (including the raspberry). :tongue:
    I love Ken's Light Honey Mustard.
  • karendee4
    karendee4 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Dressings are so easy to make and much less junk and chemicals. Just remember you need an acid (like vinegar or citrus) and some oil. Then flavor. You can use mustart too and give it a kick.

I make a citrus one

One lemon Squeezed
    1 teaspoon olive oil
    Half tablespoon honey
    Some seasonongs (I like basil, salt, pepper and maybe garlic)

Shake in a small container. You can use more oil but the calorie count will jump up. You can use limes, oranges etc....

I also made one with low sugar marmalade today beause I was out of lemons and honey.

1 tablespoon Smuckers low sugar marmalade (or any jelly or jam , there are many made wiht no sugar now. some with stevia too)
    1 tablespoon white vinegar
    1 teaspoon olive oil
    spices (i used ginger, salt and pepper and some paprika)
    shake.

Each recipe makes 1-2 servings depending on how you like your salads. I like to use most of it.
  • karendee4
    Options
    If you want to be extra healthy but provide your body with something easy to digest, try making some raw dressings. For example, raw ranch dressing:

Though I am a BIG fan of Greek yogurt, our bodies don't digest dairy as easily as it does raw ingredients. Maybe try alternating between a raw dressing like the one above and a dairy-based one.

Also, I LOVE Natalia Rose's Liquid Gold Elixir dressing (also raw and nut-free). I don't have the recipe memorized, but it's so yummy and goes with so many things. I Googled, and this came up:

2 cups fresh lemon juice
    3 whole cloves garlic

3. As the mixture is blending, slowly add the olive oil until it’s completely blended.

Pretty sure that's about right, but I admit I typically half or quarter it when I make it. I sometimes eat my salads dry, so I don't often need a whole batch every week. Still very tasty, and I enjoy it down to the last spoonful.

I will try the Liquid Gold Elixir one! NICE!
  • LisaMfit4life
    LisaMfit4life Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Hi! Go to allrecipes.com and you will be able to find some good recipes on there for healthy salad dressings. Hope this helps.
    Lisa
  • mrsfoster102613
    mrsfoster102613 Posts: 126 Member
    Options

2 cups fresh lemon juice
    3 whole cloves garlic

I will try the Liquid Gold Elixir one! NICE!

I hope you like it! I love with it everything. Salads, avocados, drizzled over all kinds of veggies...endless possibilities. =)
  • karendee4
    Options
    Thanks asciar1! It sounds delish!!!
    Karen
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    I have a couple of go-tos, depending on what kind of salad I'm having. I never use bottled dressing anymore unless I really want ranch or blue cheese (once in a blue moon).

Make as much or as little as you want of these, and adjust the seasonings and ratios to fit your tastes/goals! I like my dressings a little more acid-y.

1) 2 parts lemon juice, 1 part dijon mustard, 1 part olive oil, salt and pepper. Great with fish and grilled chicken over greens.
    2) 1 part olive oil, 2-3 parts good (and I mean GOOD - get the 25 year aged stuff if you can. Completely worth it) balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper. Great with steak or chicken, blue or goat cheese, and apples/pears and nuts, all kinds of stuff.
    3) 1 part olive oil, 2-3 parts red wine vinegar, salt and pepper, garlic powder, dried oregano and parsely (or "italian seasoning" works too). Standard Italian-style dressing.

I also love mixing Frank's Red Hot wing sauce with a tiny bit of either ranch or blue cheese and having that with grilled chicken over salad greens - almost, but not quite, like eating real buffalo wings ;) and stretches the dressing calories quite a bit.