Strength/Weight Training Advice

I'm very aware that to get a more toned look as you lose weight it's imperative to build a bit of muscle and I'm also very aware that I'm not doing anything towards building muscle. In short the exercise I do is all walking.

So, I want a bit of advice about where to start with the muscle stuff, but bearing in mind the following limitations:

1. I live in a very rural area - there is no gym here, so anything suggested needs to be done from home.
2. I don't have room for big bits of equipment at home - so no benches, weight station thingamies.
3. I've had an issue with one shoulder from birth; essentially my left shoulder joint dislocates extremely easily. It happens most often during movements that involve lifting the arm above head and back down. I want to avoid that because when it happens I then have to have physio for 4-6 weeks.
4. 1-1.5 weeks a month I work away from home; the hotels on our corporate rate don't have gyms (booo!)

Other than the issues above, I'll try anything. So where to start all you lifting experts? :bigsmile:

Replies

• bunbunzee44
    bunbunzee44 Posts: 592 Member
    body weight exercises work great too :) and you can find tons of tutorials on youtube etc.
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Well, since it seems you can't get the equipment required to really lift nice and heavy with the big, compound lifts, I'd suggest resistance bands. You can get them fairly cheaply, do modified versions of the big, compound lifts, and you can still get some fairly heavy resistance. they are also easily portable. You can also check out nerdfitness.com for some good body weight routine ideas.
  • JoanB5
    JoanB5 Posts: 610 Member
    Both of these are great ideas. We are doing the "NoNonsense Challenge" group and I've noticed a big change just with jumping jacks, burpees, squats, pushups, and mountain climbers...all pretty low impact (and can be modified to be even more so, according to your needs). They all use body weight.

I've seen online youtube videos where girls pick a book that works for them and use it for a "kettlebell". Less weight and more reps may be a good place for you to start. With added strength of supporting ligaments and tendons and more muscle mass, you may find your shoulder dislocates less over time, too?
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    1) Adjustable dumbbells - adjustable to a variety of weights for a variety of exercises, take up very little space
    2) Body weight work, as previously suggested
    3) Resistance bands, as previously suggested

On a side note, nothing you can do about the shoulder? I think that would be my first priority if it were me...
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Perfect candidate to check out things on nerdfitness.com
    And also you are your own gym
  • lgblack
    lgblack Posts: 73 Member
    All of the above....i.e. using body weight. However, we have a piece of equipment that is easy to use, utilizes body weight (and by adjusting body angle you increase the intensity), and is extremely versatile. It is called TRX Suspension. You buy it easily online. You can hook it up to a door (if you purchase the attachment), or if you have a basement, you can have someone install a hook in the ceiling/on a joist, and then you have more room to work. Lots of You Tube videos to look at for exercises and technique once you have the basics mastered that come with the system. We love it! And you can take it when you travel and strap it up to a tree or children's playground equipment. Very easy to use. You can avoid exercises that trouble your shoulder. This TRX is awesome to build core strength as well as arms and legs, glutes, hamstrings, shoulders....you name it!!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gagl23KZs0U
  • iamponce
    iamponce Posts: 18
    There is a good book by Ross Enamait called Never Gymless that is all about creating a workout routine with body weight exercises and resistance bands and such.

http://rosstraining.com/blog/
  • MsPudding
    MsPudding Posts: 562 Member
    I'm rather ashamed to say that I can't do a *single* push-up at the moment (not even a modified one with knees down) - I had Chronic Fatigue Syndrome for years and that totally killed muscle strength.....to the point where my 68yr old Mother can lift heavier things than I can (and I'm not joking...when she visits and I offer to carry her suitcase she says "Don't be silly dear".)

Jumping Jacks I already do...there are audible grinding/popping sounds from my knees but I live with that. I thought jumping jacks were cardio though?

Resistance bands look interesting - useful for the weeks living out a hotel!
  • Morgaath
    Morgaath Posts: 679 Member
    Perfect candidate to check out things on nerdfitness.com
    And also you are your own gym

Another recommendation for nerdfitness.com
    Such as this body weight workout for beginners:
    http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/
  • woodml1
    woodml1 Posts: 199 Member
    I might be going a little too remedial, but here's a basic workout that will start to incorporate resistance training:

Modified squats: find a chair where the seat height is right about knee level (or slightly higher, don't go too low). Do 'squats' by sitting down and standing up as many times as you can. If this is too easy, try holding a jug of laundry detergent at chest level to add resistance.

Calf Raises: stand behind the chair, holding the back with your finger tips for support and lift your heels off the ground as many times as you can. If you need more resistance, hold that laundry detergent with your other hand.

Bicep curls: grab 2 big cans of soup and do as many bicep curls as you can. Progress to heavier weight with heavier things you can find around the house.

Tricep kickbacks: kneel on the couch and place your 'inside' hand on the arm of the couch to support your body. Hold a can of soup in your other hand, pull your elbow back like you're starting a lawnmower and hold it there, straighten your elbow while keeping it held back. (You might need to look this one up if it's confusing!)

Modified push-ups: Stand next to a wall, place your hands on the wall and lean into it. Bend your elbows to lower and push yourself away from the wall. Once you've mastered this, move to the back of the couch, then the chair, and finally the floor with your knees down!

Modified rows, stand next to a sturdy table and grab onto the edge. Bring your feet in so they're just under the table. Hold on as you lower your weight down and use your arms to pull you back in.

That's a BASIC start. You can move from household items to dumbbells when you're ready! You'll also learn more exercises as you progress. Good luck!
  • If you have a smart phone, I highly recommend an app called You Are Your Own Gym. The exercises use your body as resistance...no gym or gym equipment required.
  • AmberSpamber
    AmberSpamber Posts: 391 Member
    Who needs weights? There are PLENTY of exercises that help you use your own body weight to build muscle. I would suggest looking at Bodyrocktv.com. Although they use equipment at times, they have a ton of videos that only use your body weight and will kick your *kitten*.
  • farsteve
    farsteve Posts: 157 Member
    I might be going a little too remedial, but here's a basic workout that will start to incorporate resistance training:

Modified squats: find a chair where the seat height is right about knee level (or slightly higher, don't go too low). Do 'squats' by sitting down and standing up as many times as you can. If this is too easy, try holding a jug of laundry detergent at chest level to add resistance.

Calf Raises: stand behind the chair, holding the back with your finger tips for support and lift your heels off the ground as many times as you can. If you need more resistance, hold that laundry detergent with your other hand.

Bicep curls: grab 2 big cans of soup and do as many bicep curls as you can. Progress to heavier weight with heavier things you can find around the house.

Tricep kickbacks: kneel on the couch and place your 'inside' hand on the arm of the couch to support your body. Hold a can of soup in your other hand, pull your elbow back like you're starting a lawnmower and hold it there, straighten your elbow while keeping it held back. (You might need to look this one up if it's confusing!)

Modified push-ups: Stand next to a wall, place your hands on the wall and lean into it. Bend your elbows to lower and push yourself away from the wall. Once you've mastered this, move to the back of the couch, then the chair, and finally the floor with your knees down!

Modified rows, stand next to a sturdy table and grab onto the edge. Bring your feet in so they're just under the table. Hold on as you lower your weight down and use your arms to pull you back in.

That's a BASIC start. You can move from household items to dumbbells when you're ready! You'll also learn more exercises as you progress. Good luck!

THIS!!!!
  • MsPudding
    MsPudding Posts: 562 Member
    Thanks for the great advice all!

This strength stuff is so *totally* new to me that it's over-whelming if you just go out and start Googling. Cardio I'm fine with - I do a lot of walking as it is so I'm not totally unfit in a cardio sense, just totally weak if it involves anything other than calf muscles! Those I have.....legs like a bloody Welsh pit pony from lots of hill walking :smile: Upper body strength though...zilch, nada, nil.

Now I have some sites to look at some idea of where to start :bigsmile: