eating and lifting weights

Options

Replies

• __RANDY__
    __RANDY__ Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    "15lbs is where I am"

Goodness, people. 15 lbs is where she is, period. She didn't say "15 lbs is all I ever want to lift." Let us assume that she'll lift more when she can and that she'll push herself along as best she can.

Encourage her, but please -- do try and remember that every bad boy and girl was once a beginner.

She can lift a lot more than 15 pounds. I absolutely guarantee it.

An average baby weighs more than that at 6 months old. Do you think she was incapable of picking up her baby?

Yeah, but do you lift a baby with one arm and then press them up over your head?? :tongue:

i do
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    "15lbs is where I am"

Goodness, people. 15 lbs is where she is, period. She didn't say "15 lbs is all I ever want to lift." Let us assume that she'll lift more when she can and that she'll push herself along as best she can.

Encourage her, but please -- do try and remember that every bad boy and girl was once a beginner.

An average baby weighs more than that at 6 months old. Do you think she was incapable of picking up her baby?

Yeah, but do you lift a baby with one arm and then press them up over your head?? :tongue:

I could ;)

If the only exercise she's doing is an OHP then maybe 15 lbs per arm is sufficient for now. If it is, then she should be trying out 17.5 lbs next workout. And 20 the one after that.

And of course no one OHPs the same amount they can squat, deadlift, etc.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    "15lbs is where I am"

Ditto this^^^ and I'm not trying to be mean here...I'm trying to be helpful in telling the OP that what she's doing really doesn't qualify as "strength" training or "resistance training" What she is doing is basically cardio with some added weight.

When my wife started weight training with me, she was all worried because all she had ever done was either machines or the tiny little dumbbells...never squated or benched or did a dead-lift in her life. Low and behold, she could pretty easily squat the barbell (45 Lbs) and is now up to about 130 Lbs after a couple of months. Bench...yup, she could do the bar as well. She'd just never pushed herself with heavy weights.

OP, it sounds like you don't have access to a lot of gym equipment...I personally think you'd benefit more from a good body weight resistance routine...what you're currently doing is pretty much weighted cardio, which is not the same thing as strength training.

Here's a good starting point for such routines...

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/workouts/
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    "15lbs is where I am"

I agree and disagree. I agree with Squirrel that for use in P90X and the alike that 15 lbs is a good weight to use. But, I agree with Jonny as well, that most women grately under estimate what they can and can't lift. There is a reason why a lot of women are constantly adding weight during 5x5 and NROLFW, and I mean really jumping in numbers, it is because they seriously under estimate their bodies.

OP: That being said, when it comes to P90X, I burned about 400-500 calories on the lifting DVDs (that was before I swapped to real lifting). P90X is nice, but you will get faster muscle tone and definition if you shift to a compound lifting routine. But that being said, if all you have to work with (or want to work with) are the videos like P90X, and the one you are doing now, then I would wear a HRM and log it as circuit training as someone else has suggested. Also, look into the TDEE/BMR method as you will find it much easier having to only eat to a certain number and not having to jump around in calorie intake everyday.
  • rduhlir
    Options
    "15lbs is where I am"

I can....I actually shoulder press 25 lbs (dumbbells)...and went from 10 lbs to 25 lbs in 5 weeks.
  • mistymamas
    mistymamas Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    "15lbs is where I am"

YES...This ^^^ She said everything I was thinking!
  • sccet
    sccet Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I use this formula from www.livestrong.com./article/33469- how-to-calculate-calories-burned-weight-lifting.
    Your current weght x total minutes lifting x intensity.
    Body builder effort = .055, circuit training w/weight = .042, free weights =.039 & light lifting w,moderate effort = .028.
    Do not use HRM for weights, only for cardio.

Thanks for posting this. I wonder how accurate it is? It gives me a number that is 50% higher than what the MFP cardio weight lifting number is.

I've seen many here post that the MFP number is "too high." (A position that I disagree with.) If so, then this livestrong number must be WAAAAAYYYY too high.
  • bi0nicw0man
    bi0nicw0man Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Now that I switched my workout to mostly weight lifting I don't know how many calories I am burning. Any suggestion on how to change my calories to fit the weight lifting? I lift about 15 pounds right now and do it about 35 to 40 minutes (Challean Extreme) I don't want to over eat, but I don't want to under eat either. Suggestions??

Under the Cardio section there is a selection called Strength Training. Not entirely sure how accurate it is but it's there for things like pushups, etc and I would think it's suitable for what you are doing right now.

Having said that, I know that if I do a good cardio warmup (20-30 mins treadmill or elliptical) before I do my strength session then I burn a lot more calories. I wear an HRM so I know what I've burned.
  • mistymamas
    mistymamas Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I am a beginner also and when I read her question I thought to myself, that is EXACTLY what I need to know as well. :)
    I found a training program on bodybuilding.com, its the Live Fit program. And for beginners, she says to only lift 60% of what your max is, as a beginner, for the first 30 days. Understand that when you are NEW to a weight training program, these exercises can leave you very sore. Our bodies are not used to it. And your not supposed to over-do it for the first month. Your supposed to gradually get your body used to the weights, THEN increase I am very sore this week from lifting. And I could have easily done heavier weights.

Sure she could probably lift more, but she shouldn't right now according to Live Fit. With every exercise, my weights will fluctuate. If I am doing dumbbell curls, I am curling 15 pounds. Its the right amount for me as a "beginner". Now if I am bench pressing, that's a different story. Im sure the same goes for her. So lets not all be so hard on her :)
  • cdgabbert
    cdgabbert Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I kinda agree with every one - 15lbs is, well, just lifting the grocery bag or a baby... but perhaps there is a reason for this - illness, injury or whatever...I started working with a trainer and even with him 15lbs was OUT of the question... believe me, the 45lb I cringed, but I could do it! (Even trying to joke with him that I needed lighter!!)...

But if I read this right what you are doing is the Challeen Extreme which is a cardio workout that adds small weights, so please understand that it is not actually LIFTING... it's cardio with weights for extra burn and toning... please keep this in mind when suggesting you are lifting... lifting is completely different!!!

Though what you are doing does have results and I completely support your efforts and if the cardio using resistance is at 15lbs, you are doing GREAT with that PROGRAM... so keep up the GREAT work... as for the burn, try using webmd tracker to find more suitable burn calculator... in essence you are doing a cardio - areobic with weights..but you are not LIFTING so there is a huge difference!!
  • JossFit
    JossFit Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I am a beginner also and when I read her question I thought to myself, that is EXACTLY what I need to know as well. :)
    I found a training program on bodybuilding.com, its the Live Fit program. And for beginners, she says to only lift 60% of what your max is, as a beginner, for the first 30 days. Understand that when you are NEW to a weight training program, these exercises can leave you very sore. Our bodies are not used to it. And your not supposed to over-do it for the first month. Your supposed to gradually get your body used to the weights, THEN increase I am very sore this week from lifting. And I could have easily done heavier weights.

Sure she could probably lift more, but she shouldn't right now according to Live Fit. With every exercise, my weights will fluctuate. If I am doing dumbbell curls, I am curling 15 pounds. Its the right amount for me as a "beginner". Now if I am bench pressing, that's a different story. Im sure the same goes for her. So lets not all be so hard on her :)

Right, but she isn't lifting... she's doing a cardio DVD holding a 15 pound weight. It's entirely different. As others have said, nobody is bashing her abilities, we're simply stating that what she is doing isn't "weightlifting"... its cardio.

REGARDLESS... The whole point was to figure out her calorie needs and there isnt a different calculator or formula based on HOW you burn calories or arrive at your deficit. The advice given about TDEE - 20% is probably the most helpful and she can adjust from there based on her results.
  • rduhlir
    Options

Did you do your max lifts to figure out your actual 60%, or did you just guess? A lot of women just guess at what their "max" is, and in doing so GREATLY under estimate their abilities. Also, the whole 30 day is more geared towards perfecting form.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    It may not be lifting to you, but its a good start for me. By the time I finish my reps I can't do any more. I will lift heavy like the bad boys and girls one day, but for now..that all I got. So far I have been logging it as cardio because I can't figure out another way.

There's a 'strength training' in the cardio section you can log it under.

We all have to start somewhere, 15lbs is fine, you will increase as you get stronger.

I got good results from CLX.
  • jamimari777
    jamimari777 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Doesn't Chalean combine cardio and weights? If so, then 15 lbs to me sounds great. Some posters aren't taking into consideration that weights are used in different ways - and you asked for food advice, not workout advice.

So on that note, I'd wear a HRM and record your calorie burn and eat back some of the cals. This is what I do when I have a weight training workout, but do a lot of cardio intervals in between lifting.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I don't know what Chalean is. She said "lifting weights" so I assumed that's what she meant.
  • Hbazzell
    Hbazzell Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    It may not be lifting to you, but its a good start for me. By the time I finish my reps I can't do any more. I will lift heavy like the bad boys and girls one day, but for now..that all I got. So far I have been logging it as cardio because I can't figure out another way.

It really depends on what kind of lifts you are doing. 15lbs deadlifts aren't going to do enoguh to increase your food intake probably but 15lbs dumbell press may be working your upper body ok. I think the other gal is more concerned. If you are doing 15 lbs deadlifts and it is hard you may be using the wrong muscle group. Your thighs and butt should be able to handle more than 15lbs since they carry your whole body.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    change your activity level.
  • rduhlir
    Options
    I don't know what Chalean is. She said "lifting weights" so I assumed that's what she meant.

Something similar to P90X.
  • rduhlir
    Options

It really depends on what kind of lifts you are doing. 15lbs deadlifts aren't going to do enoguh to increase your food intake probably but 15lbs dumbell press may be working your upper body ok. I think the other gal is more concerned. If you are doing 15 lbs deadlifts and it is hard you may be using the wrong muscle group. Your thighs and butt should be able to handle more than 15lbs since they carry your whole body.

Boo!
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    "15lbs is where I am"

Not in the way you lift weights, no.