Where have all the runners gone....

Options
EdTheGinge
EdTheGinge Posts: 1,616 Member
I joined a group the other week, thinking that people you regularly post and generally talk about experiences, training and so on but they've been inactive for over a week. This has made me wonder are there any runners out there ???

You could be a plodder or a serious runner, I don't really care just thought it would be nice. Come out of the woodwork. What is your running goal for this year ?

Replies

• Laura42012
    Laura42012 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I'm a runner but I've been temporarily side lined with a rolled foot....I had aspirations of a half marathon. Not sure now thou.
  • Cupcakebettiejo
    Cupcakebettiejo Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Busy doing Insanity Ed;)
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    There seem to be a ton of running-related posts lately so I think people are out there somewhere. I'm coming back from an injury so right now I'm building back up slowly to 5K by next month. Then 10K by July, then a half marathon by October. Going to start doing some trail runs too.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Some of the groups fizzle out a bit... either people don't know about them, there are multiple groups with the same focus, etc etc...

But regardless, there are lots of runners on here.

Personally, I hit both my half marathon goals this past weekend. The rest of my runs for the season will be team events or multisport events - duathlons, triathlons, obstacle runs...
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    ...to lift weights. :glasses:
  • EdTheGinge
    Options
    Some of the groups fizzle out a bit... either people don't know about them, there are multiple groups with the same focus, etc etc...

Personally, I hit both my half marathon goals this past weekend. The rest of my runs for the season will be team events or multisport events - duathlons, triathlons, obstacle runs...

You broke your PB in the halfs then ? How long you get around ?
  • VeeBethTris
    VeeBethTris Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I was focusing on only running then decided to do my first Sprint Triathlon in 19 days (yep I am counting) so running is only part of my training now. Triathletes tell me I will be bitten by the Tri bug and not look back. IF that isn't the case, I want to do a 10k this summer as I did my first 5 k 2 1/2 weeks ago.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options

1:59:10. Broke my PB by ~9 minutes
  • CLFrancois
    CLFrancois Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I like to run but I acquired shin splints recently. I have had to change my routine.
  • EdTheGinge
    Options

1:59:10. Broke my PB by ~9 minutes

Top work fella.

I took part in my first Half sunday, was an experience.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I just started running in November (though I used to be an avid runner years ago)...I can finally do three miles without stopping at about a 12 minute mile pace. My goal for the year is to improve to around 8 minutes per mile and sign up for a couple of actual 5Ks (for fun). I had a couple slated, but stuff keeps coming up...I was supposed to do the local Run For the Zoo on May 5, but my kiddo has a dance recital that day so had to drop the 5K off the calendar.
  • amytag
    amytag Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Had my personal best 5K time this past weekend....running in the sleet! Hoping to run 6 5K's this year and starting the 10K training program. I'm more of a plodder but have improved my 5k time by 7 minutes since October.
  • EdTheGinge
    Options
    I like to run but I acquired shin splints recently. I have had to change my routine.

Ouch, the body is too damn fragile for my liking.
  • lrichelle
    lrichelle Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Runner here! I have a lot of races this year but my goal is a 4:45 at the Richmond marathon. (Yes, I know, I'm slow!)
  • info_nrs
    info_nrs Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I started running (if that's what you call it :blushing: ) about a year ago. Why? Because I wanted to do the Disney Princess Half at Disney World (hey, whatever it takes to motivate you :love: ) I completed it, but didn't like my pace. Had lots of issues during training due to knees, so now my goal is to complete it again next year, but with a much better time. I also think that my knees will feel better if I get a little bit of weight off (and get my eating habits and asthma under control!) I read somewhere that for every 5lbs of weight you lose, that's 40lbs of pressure off your knees. . . so even 10lbs might cure my ailments!!!)
    So, it's basically an ENTIRE lifestyle change---I've put it off too long. I want to FEEL like a runner, not just someone that made it through the course :frown:
    Any support is welcome (I do well with the Jillian Michaels/ Drill sargent approach!)
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure where your runners went, but I joined a C25K group and it became post after post of "Just finished week x day x." Not much room for dialogue I guess! LOL

My goals for this summer are to do a 5K. I can definitely walk 5k so I hope to be able to run it come July 1st!

I had a question about trail running and road running. I'm running mostly on a trail (gravel) but the race is on the road. Are there shoes that are appropriate for BOTH?
  • info_nrs
    info_nrs Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Runner here! I have a lot of races this year but my goal is a 4:45 at the Richmond marathon. (Yes, I know, I'm slow!)

You call that slow!!! That's more like my 'Half' time. . . . :tongue:
  • ampeterson69
    Options
    I am finally back to running after 5 months of healing from a foot fracture. Started a 10K training program this week. I plan to participate in a 2.5 mile fun run on Saturday and have 2 5K's planned for May. As long as all continues to go well I hope to complete a half in the Fall.
  • amytag
    amytag Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure where your runners went, but I joined a C25K group and it became post after post of "Just finished week x day x." Not much room for dialogue I guess! LOL

My goals for this summer are to do a 5K. I can definitely walk 5k so I hope to be able to run it come July 1st!

I had a question about trail running and road running. I'm running mostly on a trail (gravel) but the race is on the road. Are there shoes that are appropriate for BOTH?

All my training is also done on gravel, so I buy the lightweight or minimalist trail shoes and use those in road races. I would offer my advice to work on hip flexibility and strength prior to your run, because that was my biggest issue during my road race....even better, practice on the road for a few weeks before your race!
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I'm more on the plodder end of the spectrum (10-12 min mile depending on terrain, distance and prep) And I'm a seasonal runner because I don't like running in the cold on icy sidewalks and I refuse to run more than intervals on the treadmill.

This year's goal is to train to do a 10k by this fall. Mostly I've run about 3 miles to keep prepped for 5ks but this past Sunday I ran 4.5 miles! Pretty good start if I do say so myself!