Eating your exercise points?

Options
2»

Replies

• beelanc
    beelanc Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    No, you don't have to eat those. You just have to eat at least 1200 cals/day. The bigger the deficit, the more calories burned and the more fat you'll burn! Definitely don't eat over your cals and the added exercise cals, I would only eat up to that point! After a good workout, your body burns fat for up to 48 hours. If you are working muscles too, it should burn fat naturally even when you're not working out! Good luck :)

I disagree. A huge deficit doesn't necessarily mean you are burning fat.

The larger your deficit the larger the risk of losing lean muscle if you aren't resistance training. If you don't know your BMR and are consistently eating 1200/day continuously without high calorie or cheat days, you will hit a wall eventually. I'm a diabetic and my Doctor won't even put put on a 1200/day diet because the average human can't sustain that.

As long as you can stay at a 1000 calorie/day deficit you will lose 2lbs/week. That's the safest pace unless you are extremely obese and under a doctor's care.

I second this. I have been eating most of my calories back and have been at a steady 2-3 pound loss per week. 1200 calories is what your body takes to just run (hearbeat, breathe, digestion, etc) You dont want to go into losing lean muscle. Thats what you use to burn the fat. I think the guided calculations on here are a pretty good guide. It may seem like a lot of suggested calories but it works. Good luck!
  • Meaganandcheese
    Meaganandcheese Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    You can eat back all of those calories and you would still be in a calorie deficit, so you can/will still lose weight. You have to play with them for a few weeks to find the right balance for your body, macro nutrient needs, and lifestyle.

Was this at me? Because if so, I eat back about half of them and have been doing well.
  • mathera26
    mathera26 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    You don't HAVE to eat them, but if you do you will still lose weight at the rate calculated by the website/app.

One note though, if you do plan on taking advantage of those calories, make sure you have a decent heart rate monitor/calorie counter device to accurate measure how many calories you burned.

The numbers on exercise machines are often inflated, sometime by as much as 50%.

EXACTLY