Starving Yourself Isn't the Way!

Options
2»

Replies

• Marcillene
    Marcillene Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    That is EXACTLY how it is with me! I'm a very "all or nothing" type of person. It's either I'm overeating or undereating. It's a struggle to realize that I have to feed my body to lose weight when it just seems the easiest thing to do is starve myself. I'll continue the struggle by gradually upping my calories which will be a chore but I can do it! Thank you for your encouragement. Your weight loss is amazing and inspiring, 42lbs is a huge accomplishment! :)
    Thank you! I have gained some back.. cus well.. you know^ we just discussed the above.. lol.. and I am afraid its always going to be an 'all or nothing' kind of thing....

sometimes theres a big stretch of ALLL... and then there might be a big stretch of NOTHINGGG.... I too hope to someday reach that happy median... even though I tell myself I want to fuel my body.. it feels like every bite I take makes me gain another pound.. so I just prefer to not listen to the 'NEED TO BE' healthier side of my brain..

Good luck and I really do wish you wonderful things in your progress.
  • Kimberly3013
    Kimberly3013 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I suffer from the same thing. Growing up I starved myself a lot (mainly starting in high school) to the point of passing out when I was out with friends on multiple occasions. My mom would bring me food to work and I would give it away so that she didn't know. As I went into motherhood and became a stay at home mom I started to overeat to make up for the empty feeling I had. I trained myself during that time to eat my emotions. Then feel guilty and go back into starvation. There had never been a happy medium, it was all or nothing. I learned with starving myself that if I stayed busy I wouldn't even think of eating.

Thanks to MFP I have learned to see what I am eating everyday and be responsible for staying under but not too under. In the past I had tried low carb diets, diet pills, meal supplement shakes, clean eating. Nothing ever worked because it wasn't something that I looked at as a life change, I looked at it as a diet. Diet are not for life they are just until you lose the weight. So of course I would lose but gain what I lost plus some back. This time I made a life change and I eat under 1200-1600 calories depending on my activity level for the day. I understand more about how to eat. I don't eat clean all the time but I do stay within my calories and I have found that is what works for me. That is something that is sustainable for me for life. That is the happy medium for me.

Thank you for your post, I know there are many people on here with the same thought process and I hope they read your post.
  • Healthy67Chick
    Healthy67Chick Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Prior to me starting MFP I was eating 850 - 950 calories a day, all clean eating broken down in 5 - 6 meals per day. I was losing weight like crazy. After a couple of months, I started doing more exercise but wasn't losing hardly any weight. I started feeling dizzy, sometimes like I was going to pass out. I started getting heart palpitations. This all scared me and caused me to have anxiety. I went to the doctor - he wanted to put me on antidepressants, I refused. So I went to another doctor who thought I might be having heart problems. She sent me to a cardiologist who then sent me to a rheumatologist. ( I know crazy!) By this time I started having blood pressure issues - my bp would go high every time I would stand, but would go back to being normal once I laid down. The doctor put me on bp pills, but told me that i could possibly pass out if my bp got too low, but not to worry i would come back alert within a few minutes. i thought she was crazy. Well I ended up going to another doctor because no one seemed to be figuring anything out. He thought it might be my kidneys (your kidneys help regulate you bp). Anyway, it was not that. He sent me to a nephrologist, one who specializes in bp issues. He put me on a water pill, but that made the heart palpitations worse. He took me off of those. I saw him for a couple of months, but even he couldn't figure it out. So really, I just gave up on trying to figure it out. I did a lot of praying and went back to eating whatever and all my symptoms went away, but the bad thing was, I gained all my weight back to. This time around, I'm trying to lose the weight in a healthier way. I do want this extra weight off ASAP, but I do not want to go through all the medical problems I experienced before. I started off with 1200 calories and have upped them to 1400. I've only lost 5 lbs. in a month but I think it's because my body has to get use to more calories. I wanted to share my experience with lower calories so maybe it could help others see that lower calories can cause all sorts of problems, at least it did for me.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!