Heavy lifting without protein supplements?

Options
I just recently started the NROL4W program. I have no interest in drinking protein shakes but it seems that everyone that lifts takes some sort of protein supplement. Are these supplements necessary? I weigh about 190 and try to eat at least 135g of protein a day. I've heard contradicting info that says you should eat a gram of protein for every pound of lean body mass or a gram for every pound of body weight. Not sure which is accurate.

I understand the point of the shake is to make easily digestible protein available to the body for repair after a workout. If I don't drink a shake what are the best types of snacks to bring to the gym for this?

Replies

• TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Not necessary at all. As long as you hit your daily protein goal, it doesn't matter where it came from. In fact, "real" food is best anyway. Your 135g seems reasonable, according to what I can glean from your profile.

For the snack question - whatever you want. And you really don't have to eat shortly after working out, anyway. I do, but that's because I'm hungry. So, again, whatever protein you want to eat - if you want to eat right afterwards - is fine.
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    The key words are "for every pound of LEAN body mass." Because it's very difficult to accurately determine your lean mass, you can use your total body weight of 190 to estimate how much protein you need by multiplying by 0.75.

190 x 0.75 = 142.5 grams of protein per day.

Some people find it difficult to eat that much protein so they use protein powder to reach their protein goal. Also, certain types of protein powders are digested (absorbed) by the body faster than food is. This helps with muscle recovery.

But to answer your question, No, you don't HAVE to use protein supplements. Try to consume at least 15-20g of protein before a heavy lifting workout and at least another 15-20g within 30 minutes of finishing your workout.
  • jonesin_am
    jonesin_am Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I like the idea of eating a little protein before and after lifting. I was thinking of bringing some hard boiled eggs as a snack so may try that. Do you think yogurt is another easily digested form of protein? Just trying to come up with some snacks that have protein more readily available.
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    If you like tuna, try the pouches instead of the cans. Very convenient and portable, no need to drain either. Remember to bring a spoon or fork!
  • homeyjosey
    homeyjosey Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    better to eat your protein than drink it
  • funforsports
    funforsports Posts: 2,656 Member
    Options
    Definitely don't need to take supplements. If you can get 150 g of protein by eating it a day that is perfect for your bw.
  • AlyssaJoJo
    AlyssaJoJo Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Turkey Jerky is a good source for getting in some protein. And yummy!
  • flex500
    flex500 Posts: 63
    Options
    I just recently started the NROL4W program. I have no interest in drinking protein shakes but it seems that everyone that lifts takes some sort of protein supplement. Are these supplements necessary? I weigh about 190 and try to eat at least 135g of protein a day. I've heard contradicting info that says you should eat a gram of protein for every pound of lean body mass or a gram for every pound of body weight. Not sure which is accurate.

I understand the point of the shake is to make easily digestible protein available to the body for repair after a workout. If I don't drink a shake what are the best types of snacks to bring to the gym for this?

not necessary at all...I only have shakes for convenience. I'd never drink them if I could have steak, eggs, chicken, etc. every meal.

We get so caught up in digestive timing but in reality the process of digestion is long but reading many mags you'd think if you don't have whey protein isolate exactly 24 minutes post workout you will not gain muscle. It's just not true. Hit your daily macros and protein goals and you are fine.

For many women though they really become nice for the convenience. It is so difficult for my wife to get her 80 grams of protein a day so it's almost essential to have a shake. Protein powder is really nothign special though it's just a powered food product in a tub for convenience.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    Yep protein supplements are just for convenience. If you can get all your protein requirements from your normal diet then that is just fine. There is really no need to for fast absorbing or post workout protein. Just getting your daily amount consistently is enough.

I have a scoop every morning with my cereal because I dont plan my meals out ahead of time. Could easily have one at night or not at all if I meet my daily requirement.
  • jonesin_am
    jonesin_am Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Great! Thanks everyone. Exactly what I was hoping to hear. I usually have eggs for breakfast, fish or chicken for lunch, and then more chicken usually for dinner. I also eat cottage cheese and yogurt for snacks. So I can usually get my protein in but have been focusing more on meeting my target now that I started lifting.
  • jennychandra1
    Options
    I always check out this website before buying any protein products - www.excellentprotein.com - My personal favourite is the universal nutrition bar because of the high protein:carb ratio.