A newbie who needs more protein! Help!

Options
zzcharge
zzcharge Posts: 42 Member
This is my first serious month on MFP. So far..I am doing OK....spent a lot of this month trying to get a strategy. I altered my ratios to 40/30/30 on a 1200 calorie diet. I fail my ratios miserably EVERYDAY!!!

I almost NEVER go over my Carbs...but I ALWAYS go over my sugar and fiber! 1 orange and 1 apple a day and you are over limit! So I cut back to one fruit per day so I can have a treat but my sugars are still over.

My protein should be 30% or 90g....I never get out of 30g!

So my ratios at the end of the day are usually 47/42/11 or 47/34/19, etc

My meals for today are:
B: 1 slice ezekiel bread, 1+tbls of raw unsalted almond butter, 1 orange(303cal)
L: blueberry Chobani greek yogurt, 2tbsp pecans(240 cal)
snack:Welchs fruit snack small bag (80cal)
D; 2 grilled chicken wings, simple garden salad..no dressing (360cal)
1 no pudge brownie made w/applesauce.(116cal)

I feel that is a good menu for the day....but my protein is showing as ONLY 31g! Sugars 72! Carb 85g! My ratios are 50/32/18
How can I fix this??? Or Should I not worry about it??

Replies

• Chris99mu
    Chris99mu Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Google "protein diet sources" and go to town. Just tell your kidneys there is a reason you have two of them.
  • aepdx
    aepdx Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I am using whey protein powder. I am a vegetarian and I never get enough protein if I don't eat tofu or beans. Even if I do, I never seem to get as much as MFP recommends.

One scoop of this powder has 140 calories and 28 grams of protein! I try to drink a smoothie every day (preferably after a workout) and I include veggies, fruit, ice and water. You could just use ice and water too to make it a straight 140 calorie drink.

I would recommend buying a tub of it at the store.

Check out my diary to see how I am getting my protein.

Good luck!
  • cosplayerkyo
    cosplayerkyo Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Chicken breast have a lot of protein. Don't forget tuna as well.
  • allisondra23
    Options
    If you don't mind the taste (which is an exact replica of hot dog taste), lightlife smartdogs have 7 grams of protein per dog and are only 50 calories. A good way to get in a few extra grams at the end of the day. Women don't need a ton of protein and you aren't that far off the daily reccomendation.
  • syntaxxor
    syntaxxor Posts: 86
    Options
    Pick up some Whey Isolate. (Whey protein, but it'll say Isolate on it). If you want some cheap stuff, you can grab it at Walmart for 15$ for just Whey Concentrate or 21$ for Whey Isolate, by Body Fortress.

You can also head over to GNC and pick up some more expensive, higher quality stuff; alot of people get Gold Standard Whey Protein there, that's around 30$ a tub.

Mix it in water, and you get yourself a good amount of protein with minimal calories.

Or eat a lot more chicken breasts and fish. (I love alaska salmon)
  • zzcharge
    zzcharge Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the comments!

I forgot to mention that I am quick to walk away from dairy...and I am not a big fan of tuna. But I do keep some vegan protein powder around....the one from Unikey...Ann Gittleman's product. I digest that one much beter than whey or soy.

Maybe I will add a simple smoothie mid-afternoon. Skip the fruit snack and have a little fruit in my drink. But I will have to find a way to blend that at work!

Losing weight and eating right require a lot of planning and forethought!
  • action_figure
    action_figure Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    There's actually nothing wrong with going over your fiber every day. You probably should. And if your sugars are from fruits, then don't sweat it. The protein is the thing you need to worry about. There is protein in eggs, beans, lentils, peanut butter, and plenty of other sources. I'm getting between 90 and 100 grams of protein a day on 1450 calories. At 1320 calories I was getting between 60 and 70 grams.
  • imchicbad
    imchicbad Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    MY HONEST OPINION:

The whole 1200 calories thing is dumb. YOU HAVE TO EAT MORE

Looking at your daily intake: fruit snacks and brownies are not a nutritional source of food for such little calorie intake. Now mind you im not trying to be rude, just an honest opinion.

I use to be on 1200 calories, tired hungry and hair falling out and plateuaed after 6 weeks- for 6 months. all because i wasnt eating enough and my body wanted to hold on to every bit of fat to survive. I didnt know any better then.

I eat protien bars, protein shakes. I also have fruit almost daily. You shouldnt have to starve. I work out 3-6 times a week. But have backed down to 3-4 times a week because i get better results. The biggest mistake we make is not paying attention to macros (protien, carbs,fat, soduim and sugar) and it makes all the difference in the world. Preparing food the day before will allow you to play with the food and servings to get as close to macros as you can. Its not time consuming if you know what you have on hand in your fridge. you might want to consider this:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/937709-in-place-of-a-road-map-ver-3-0

its helped me alot. I can testify to it. Im doing great.
  • niftyafterfifty
    niftyafterfifty Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Add kidney beans, black beans, etc. to your salad. Also, include eggs and lean meats in your day.
  • Charlie_Hooper
    Charlie_Hooper Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Pick up some Whey Isolate. (Whey protein, but it'll say Isolate on it). If you want some cheap stuff, you can grab it at Walmart for 15$ for just Whey Concentrate or 21$ for Whey Isolate, by Body Fortress.

You can also head over to GNC and pick up some more expensive, higher quality stuff; alot of people get Gold Standard Whey Protein there, that's around 30$ a tub.

Mix it in water, and you get yourself a good amount of protein with minimal calories.

Or eat a lot more chicken breasts and fish. (I love alaska salmon)

Yeah what he said - I've bought some isolate today! Also chicken and tuna --- I have tuna/phili light in pasta every now and then - filling a quite a bit of protein!