I NEED nachos... help

Options
I'm at work fantasizing about nachos. This my favorite food and i haven't had any in weeks! I now feel like i must have them now, but i still have to pick up supplies. I usually make then full of fat and grease - does anyone have any suggestions to lessen the calorie impact? Any ideas would be very much appreciated :smile: Thanks!

Replies

• xarrium
    xarrium Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Veggies are always a plus! Peppers, onions (if you can stand them), even black beans if you're feeling Mexican-ish. I also find I really like the taste of the multigrain chips which probably have more fibre than the average white-corn tortillas
  • sonnacchio
    sonnacchio Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    How about a flour tortilla toasted in a hot pan with a little cheese on it? Just a thought! Good luck finding something similar!
  • 3babybeans
    3babybeans Posts: 8,268 Member
    Options
    Thin triscuits with just a little melted cheddar and a ton of salsa. Total yum! Good luck....and now I want nachos, too. LOL
  • robbienjill
    robbienjill Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Just try telling yourself that you really "do not" need them. LOL. You can over come this. If not, do not beat yourself up. Just work out harder!! Good luck.
  • 3babybeans
    3babybeans Posts: 8,268 Member
    Options
    This recipe JUST came to my inbox from allrecipes.com. This is more of a meal, but I think I'm going to try it soon with some whole wheat tortillas, mix up the veggies, and add some southwest seasonings. :bigsmile:

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Bean-Quesadillas/Detail.aspx?ms=1&prop25=36145870&prop26=HealthyBites&prop27=2010-04-28&prop28=Main&prop29=Recipe&me=1

Off to dream of Mexican food. :laugh:
  • courtney_love2001
    courtney_love2001 Posts: 1,468 Member
    Options
    Don't ever cut your fave foods out of your diet (unless your fave is like a gallon of oil at a time :laugh: ) Just look for ways to make it better! For the nachos: get some corn tortillas and bake them until crispy. Top with ground turkey/lean beef taco meat that has been well-drained. Add tons of veg and just a sprinkle of cheese. Instead of loading on the cheese, really season up your meat/veg and add some jalapenos and light sour cream. You could add beans or rice for some bulk. Yum!! I had something similar to this the other night but it was polenta instead of chips!
  • bmarsh777
    bmarsh777 Posts: 15
    Options
    Count out your chips. I think 12 is a serving. You can buy the snack size then you do not have to deal with left overs. Use ground chicken breast, if you want meat. Season it with onions, garlic powder, onion powder, cumin and chili powder. I add a little water because the chicken breast is dry. You can also add some salsa to the meat once it is cooked to moisten it. Measure out your 4 ounces for a serving. Sprinkle a serving of low fat cheese over that. Then put it in the toaster oven on broil to melt the cheese. Then add veggies of your choice. Use salsa to dip. I did this the other night as my dinner and it was fabulous! And satisfied the Mexican food craving! I do not add salt to my food, but the salt in the chips and the cheese was plenty. =o
  • aesoprok
    aesoprok Posts: 70
    Options
    Don't ever cut your fave foods out of your diet (unless your fave is like a gallon of oil at a time :laugh: ) Just look for ways to make it better! For the nachos: get some corn tortillas and bake them until crispy. Top with ground turkey/lean beef taco meat that has been well-drained. Add tons of veg and just a sprinkle of cheese. Instead of loading on the cheese, really season up your meat/veg and add some jalapenos and light sour cream. You could add beans or rice for some bulk. Yum!! I had something similar to this the other night but it was polenta instead of chips!
    Thanks i love this idea :) i'm super hungry so i'm looking for more of a meal than a snack anyway, and after i hit the eliptical i should have about 500 cals left for the day.
    Thanks to everyone else too i can never have enough nacho recipes!
  • cmacfarlane
    Options
    Check out Rocco Dispirito's new book Now Eat THis! Loaded Nachos 7 g of fat and 341 calories compared to 51 g of fat and 880 calories.
  • dinosgirl
    dinosgirl Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    2 corn tortillas
    1/2 c reduced fat cheddar jack
    1/2 c fat-free refried beans
    2 green onions chopped
    1 small tomato chopped
    4 large black olives sliced
    olive oil

Brush tortillas lightly with olive oil (use no more than a tsp or 2 total). Cut each tortilla into 6-8 triangles. Lay them on a cookie sheet and bake in the oven until crisp. Top with beans and cheese and place back in the oven (or microwave) to melt cheese. Once cheese has melted, remove from oven and top with green onions, tomato and olives. Makes 2 servings - approximately 260 calories, 8.5 grams of fat.