Age is no excuse

Options
DebbieLyn63
DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
I thought the Success thread would be the right place for this post, as I am going to brag on some of my 'seasoned' ladies on my friend list. They are showing that just because you are older, doesn't mean you have to give up on getting healthier.

Today marks one year for 2 of my friends

63 yo- lost 98lbs so far, 30 left to goal

52 yo- 118 lbs down, 22 til goal

There are many other ladies that are around 45 or older on my list that are achieving fantastic results as well. I didn't realize just how many there were until I started going thru my list. Here are just a few that are over halfway to their goal weight.
Many are at goal. In addition to losing the weight, many of these ladies have reduced their needs for BP and Diabetes medications, some have run 5 and 10ks or more, some have gotten into body building and have sculpted their bodies in amazing ways.
All of them are getting their lives back and have a second chance at a healthy life, and to enjoy their children and grandchildren.

56 yo- 152 lbs down- 8 lbs til goal
64 yo- 52 down, 25 to goal
79 yo- down 12 lbs with 2 lb to go
65 yo- 25 down, 12 to go
59 yo- 26 down, 21 to go
49 yo 33 down 21 to go
54 yo- 50 down 25 to go
52 yo- 67 down 29 to go

43 yo- 88 down 4 to go

42 yo- 38kg with 2kg to go (not sure how many lbs that is- multiply by 2.2 I think?)
54 yo- 41 lbs lost, altho she only set out to lose 27! Can you say over achiever?
46 yo- 30 down 12 to go
50 yo- 51 lbs down
46 yo- 43 down 25 to go
50 yo- 27 down 13 to go
59 yo- 26 down, over halfway to goal
49 yo- 23 down 21 to go

49 yo- 128 about 6 lbs from goal

43 yo- 41kg 8kg to go

43 yo 75 lbs down in one year- at or near goal weight
46 yo- 70 down 11 to go

45 yo-124 down 33 to go

58 yo- 40 down 15 to go
55 yo- 42 down 8 to go

49 yo 99 down 11 to go

41 yo- 47 down, near goal weight

49 yo- 154 lbs lost, maintaining for over 4 months

49 yo 120 down 90 to go
50 yo- 72 lbs down

45 yo- 158 down, within 20 lbs of goal

54 yo- 73 down, almost to goal
45 yo- 74 down,halfway to goal

56 yo-103 down 14 to go
51 yo- 101 down 14 to go

59 yo 45 lbs down
51 yo-61 down, exceeded goal and maintaining for several months
52 yo- 52 down 23 to go

51 yo- 78 gone in one year, 2 lbs to goal
51 yo- 73 gone 17 to go
49 yo- 71 lost- exceeded goal
53 yo- 24 down, halfway to goal

52 yo- 60 lb loss, maintained for 2 yrs and has a rock hard kick-A body!
45 yo- 68 down 50 to go
46 yo- 56 almost to goal and fitting in her wedding dress from 24 yrs ago!
48 yo- 64 down 40 to go
55 yo- 54 down, over halfway to goal
48 yo- 45 down 13 to go

52 yo- 80 lbs lost, at or near goal

65 yo- 105 down, 45 to go
48 yo- 91 down 9 to go
46 yo- 64 down 25 to go
45 yo- 64 lbs lost (in 8 months) 11 pounds to goal

58 yo- 49 down 11 to go
45 yo- 49 down, halfway to goal
51 yo- 15 down, halfway to goal
57 yo- 13 down, halfway to goal
53 yo- 12 down, 4 to go
47 yo- 60 down, 20 to go
48 yo- 50 down, 3 to go
49 yo- 33 down, 21 to go

and the superstar:
51 yo185 lbs lost in one year, 78 to go

I may have missed some, and there are so many other ladies on my list that are well on their way to changing their lives as well, and a few younger ladies that have succeeded and are continuing to succeed towards their health goals. I am amazed at the dedication these ladies have shown.

We are at an age that looking hot in a bikini is not our main goal, or even possible for most of us. (altho quite a few are managing that quite well!)
We are dealing with health issues that have come along with aging, injuries, and being overweight. We have spent so many years taking care of others, and now we find that we must focus on taking care of ourselves.
We are fighting for our lives here, and succeeding.

For those of you in your 40s, 50s and beyond, it is not too late to take control of your health. Sure, it is a bit tougher to lose weight and exercise now than it was in our 20s and 30s, but it certainly is doable. These women on my list are just a fraction of the older people who are succeeding on here. I don't have any men on my FL, but there are certainly many of them on this site as well, that are succeeding.
Find members here around your age and surround yourself with supportive people, who understand some of the struggles you face.

I might add that I have a few younger ladies in my corner as well, who have been a great support for me and others as well.

For those of you in your 20s and 30s, who have lost control of your health, please do not wait any longer before making changes in your life. Trust me, it doesn't get any easier, the older you get. There are also issues with skin elasticity as you age, no matter how quickly or slowly you lose the weight, and no matter how many weights you lift.
Years of carrying extra weight causes a lot of stress on your joints and your organs. Diabetes, HBP, heart disease, strokes, arthritis, etc, can all be helped, or avoided by having a healthy food and exercise regimen and staying around a healthy goal weight.

I am so glad that I was introduced to this website. Thru the information and support I have found on here, I am over halfway to my goal weight and am healthier and happier than I have been in many years. I was hoping to be at goal weight by my 50th birthday in August, but it looks like it may take a little longer than that, but that's ok. I am steadily working my way towards goal and getting stronger every day.
I am looking forward to adding my success story to the others on here, as I enter my 50s in style!

Replies

• patnj
    patnj Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Thank you
  • kmakar
    kmakar Posts: 103
    Options
    Way to go, ladies!
  • bglisson
    bglisson Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    really inspirational!
  • MsipiGRITS
    MsipiGRITS Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Applause!!! Here here!
  • sylwheat
    sylwheat Posts: 125
    Options
    Thanks girl, as a MFP friend....you have been there with me the whole time...and will be there when we BOTH reach our end !! Thanks...{{{{{hugs}}}}
  • noriri
    noriri Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Thanks Deb. We are doing it, and enjoying the journey. It's not easy, although there are some on this site who like to state otherwise. We know the challanges, but we're steadfastly working toward our goals. Thanks for your encouragment. God Bless! Noreen
  • zahid222
    zahid222 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for much needed motivation!!!!!!
  • sprintto50
    sprintto50 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Thanks for recognizing those of us who are past the first bloom of youth. I hope to make that list some day. I am so inspired by those who have done this before me.
  • Reesecup312
    Reesecup312 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Wow Deb!! Thanks for the post that you obviously put a lot of time into. I am so proud to be your friend. You are always there to motivate us and you totally rock!!

This is an excellent post and I truly hope it helps to motivate others in our age group and give them hope.

Today marks my one year anniversary and I never dreamed I would lose 118 pounds in a year when I first started. I think it is one of the best decisions I made and the best gift to myself and to my family.

I am looking forward to sharing my story and success with MFP when I get to goal. It's getting closer and that excites me!!

Thanks again Deb for all that you do!! :drinker:

:heart: Hugs!:heart:
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,354 Member
    Options
    I loved reading this. Congrats to all of the ladies on your list!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Excellent post!

I believe I might be the 51 yo that has lost 15 and is halfway to goal.

Goals are funny things. I've been working so hard on fitness goals lately that I'd forgotten I was only haflway to the weight goal I entered when I joined this site, which was chosen because it's what I weighed the last time I wore my favorite size 8 jeans.

Two years and only halfway there. Oh well, at least I'm back in those jeans. :ohwell:
  • fresh_start59
    fresh_start59 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    I am 53; post-menopause (full hysterectomy); with hypothyroid (thyroidectomy); exercise-induced asthma; taking depression meds (the weight-gain type); have osteoarthritis in lower back & fingers (and maybe my knees ... they sound like they are filled with gravel) ... and I've lost 21 pounds (still have 80+ to go).

Yeah, it has taken 5 1/2 months. But I am NOT starving myself. And I am NOT killing myself with exercise.

I'm just counting calories (eating about 1,550-1,650 a day), walking and using my resistance bands twice a week.

Baby Steps! Slow and Steady Wins the Race!
  • cheryl529h
    cheryl529h Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Great post, Deb!
  • kristina1709
    kristina1709 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    My grandfather who is going on 71 years old has recently lost about 30 lbs and is still working slowly. He goes to the YMCA and swims for 1.5 hours every single day after work. I am so proud of him!! <3
  • charovnitza
    charovnitza Posts: 689
    Options
    :smooched: Deb - you are so right. And I think I found myself on your list...65, lost 25 with 12 to go :happy:

Your enthusiasm and help is always there, and you are one of the reasons I participate every day. We are vital, motivated women who don't care about age (cause it's just a number), and I'm so proud to be a part of this group!
  • Qskim
    Qskim Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    I love what u wrote for younger women on the path to good health. I'm so glad I began this journey..it is never too late. But when I see younger women striving to start or get to goal I am cheering you loudest for the reasons OP said. Start with your future in mind...lose the weight, do it in a healthy manner that suits you to be the best you can be and don't look back. Cheers Debs...beautifully written as always. You may not reach your goal when you wanted to but you will still feel fantastic and look great...of that your friends have no doubt.
  • linbert57
    linbert57 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Bravo to you all for your tremendous success and a high five to you Deb for acknowledging these great ladies and their accomplishments. Lord knows, I have probably gained and lost a person throughout the years, but now I am committed to take care of myself and get to a healthy weight. I have taken care of my children, and now they are grown. I've taken care of my husband and he is in God's care now. It is time for me and even though I am 55, I still feel like 25 with a ton of experience, lol, and I look forward to being the best I can be. It's never too late!!
  • NancyJeanSmith
    Options
    Thank you so much for the encouraging words of wisdom, and sharing the list of success stories. This has just blessed my soul, and gives me even more determination to get through this journey, with God and all of you here on MFP. Thank you for being concerned and for sharing. God bless you!!!
  • randoswife
    randoswife Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Yay! There's hope for me!

Actually, since I've been on MFP I've done much better than on the other site I was using.

Super congratulations to to all of you who have made such awesome progress!! :)
  • mattschwartz01
    mattschwartz01 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    I appreciate the posting but this is probably better categorized under Motivation and not Success Stories
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!