Popping Knees??

Options
I am having some issues with my knees "popping" during some of my work outs. Mostly during squats. Is this because I am not using proper form or due to something else? I have been contemplating purchasing some sort of knees braces but want to make sure that would be the appropriate step to take.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Replies

• kelr0110
    kelr0110 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Is it a crackling or a popping? I know you said popping but just wanted to clarify.

I popped my kneecap out of place last week and it still is "loose" i guess. The doc said it still shifts around and may pop in and out sometimes - it's not a severe pain or anything but it is a weird pop. There is a taping technique you can use or you can get a brace with the open hole on the knee that is supposed to be for patellar support.

Not saying that is what it is because obviously I'm not a doc, but you may want to lookup patellar subluxation - that is what I was diagnosed with anyway.
  • jtndle
    jtndle Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    If it is just making noises without pain I wouldn't worry about it to much. I've had surgery on one knee but my other knee is all kind of loud doing squats, etc. Doesn't hurt though and I was told at pt (for another issue) that unless it hurt it was fine.
  • RaineMarie
    RaineMarie Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    If you are concerned you should see a doctor. Some amount of popping or cracking might be normal, and some may not, but it really varies from person to person. I wouldnt purchase a knee brace without knowing what is actually wrong with it - different types of knee braces treat different types of problems, and you can actually cause my harm than good by wearing the wrong type of knee braces. (speaking from experience, I've had 4 knee surgeries, including a patella realignment - it's always best to get it checked if you are concerned)