Need input on the Perfect Burrito.

Options
GetSoda
GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
I'm working on designing the Perfect Lunch Burrito. I haven't got much farther than: Reasonable cheese, black beans, lots of steak or chicken and quinoa rather than rice. Hmmm... I'd like an alternate to the flour tortilla shell, but rice shells aren't sturdy enough.

I'm going to make them en masse and freeze for lunches.

3oz sirloin (or chicken, or pork, or dolphin, mood depending.)
1/4 cup quinoa
1/4 cup black beans
1/4 cup jack cheese
3oz veggie mix (onions, bell pepper)

Hmmmmmmmmm. So far it's 400 calories, and a little low on protein (39g)

So it's the tortilla I still need. What to do...

with flour tortilla:

cals: 593
carbs: 58
fat: 19
Protein: 44

Seems PRETTY GOOD... but not PERFECT.

Replies

• UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Why not make a burrito bowl instead of a wrapped up burritos? Either increase the quinoa or use rice and add more beans. That would increase the protein a bit and solve the problem of an alternative for the tortilla.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    An alternative to the flour tortilla shell?

It's a burrito brah!

Stop trying to reinvent the wheel!
  • __RANDY__
    __RANDY__ Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    0007373100118_300X300.jpg

I like these

burrito size
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options

It's a burrito brah!

Where's the frijoles?
  • GetSoda
    Options
    Why not make a burrito bowl instead of a wrapped up burritos? Either increase the quinoa or use rice and add more beans. That would increase the protein a bit and solve the problem of an alternative for the tortilla.

They don't reheat as good in the microwave is the only reason.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    Looks pretty good to me - I'd want to add some Fage to sour-cream-it-up a bit.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options

It's a burrito brah!

Where's the frijoles?

Right?

Put a little guacamole and sour cream up in that b***h and we're in business.
  • KaraAlste
    KaraAlste Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Sour Cream, Salsa, Fresh lettuce and Tomatoes. And some tabasco sauce or Jalapeno Peppers. Good Idea, that's on my menu this week too. :smile:
  • lcuconley
    lcuconley Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    Are you using a whole wheat tortilla? I would spice it up: jalapeños and hot salsa. What about tomatoes?
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,051 Member
    Options
    just avoid the hard taco!!!!

fJBRMl2.gif
  • BEERRUNNER
    BEERRUNNER Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    Eat this awesome protein bad boy after a heavy weightlifting session. PROTEIN!!!!!

Spinach wrap(the green tortillas)
    STEAK.....
    Raw onion
    Raw cilantro
    Fresh Salsa!
    :bigsmile:
    Thats it!!! NONE of that BS rice, beans lettuce crap!
  • BEERRUNNER
    BEERRUNNER Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    ^^^ Thats perfect BRAAAAHHHHH!!
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Think outside your mundane chicken or steak and go with something like kung pao and kimchi fried rice burritos, or if you wanted to go the more traditional route, something like barbacoa or carnitas. A quesarita would also be much better than a plain old chicken or steak burrito.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    It's not going to be the perfect burrito with no jalapeno or cliantro.
  • Aross83
    Aross83 Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    I use Fiber one Whole Wheat tortillas. only 80 calories! they make good quesadillas and wraps & burritos..
  • alychil820
    alychil820 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    jamaican jerk chicken burrito with sweet plantain sauce. holy moly. now that's delicious!

obviously with a frozen margarita.

think outside the box! the burrito is the mexican stir fry, or omelet. just throw some **** in and eat.
  • MissLuana
    MissLuana Posts: 356
    Options
    Before I even start, let me say MY perfect burrito requires a good, intense cardio workout on the day I make these:

OK...

1 large burrito sized flour tortilla
    3/4 cup refried beans
    1 cup shredded cheese
    3/4 cup fried hamburger meat

Roll up everything into the tortilla and fry in grease until both sides are browned. Top with lettuce, tomato, sour cream and hot sauce (optional).

Let me add you want to put the flour tortilla in the microwave about 45 seconds before you roll up all the ingredients in it. This will make the tortilla softer and easier to fold up.

:bigsmile:
  • SyntonicGarden
    SyntonicGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    Since you threw in the part about freezing, yeah, burrito bowl or lettuce wraps are going to be miserable to reheat.

What about throwing in some of the trendier sources of protein, like chia seeds or TVP? I imagine they might freeze well and would be less disgusting incorporate than say, vanilla whey powder. If you can tolerate the taste (or lack of taste) and consistency, I've had luck freezing tofu, then squeezing out the water as it thaws, and using it that way. Maybe fry it up. If you're really hard pressed for protein, add some bacon?
  • GetSoda
    Options
    I don't want to put any soy protein in it. But maybe some chia seeds! It's unusual stuff like that which can really help out I think.

I love cilantro, but I'm concerned about freezing/reheating it in the burrito. (Same for sour cream, guac...)
  • fitgal05
    fitgal05 Posts: 149
    Options
    Lots of veggies and make it spicy and that's the perfect burrito. I've been making homemade pico de gallo lately and it's super low in calories and would be a great add in. Just chop tomatoes, onion, cilantro and I add half an avacado, add cumin and salt to taste and some fresh squeezed lemon. You can add this to anything, I've been making in salads. But might make your make ahead version to saucy.