Broken Ankle Rehab - Warrior Dash and Other needed advice

Options
I broke (moderately displaced fibula fracture - non-surgical) my ankle 2/3. I have accepted the fact that I won't be skiing the rest of the season sooooooooo I have my sites set on my summer sports.

I want to do the Warrior Dash on 7/20/13....

PROBLEMS:
I can't run right now because of lack of strength and range of motion in my ankle.
I am out of shape. You can't imagine what being legitimately sedentary does to your body. It's disgusting.

PROPOSED SOLUTIONS:
Rowing Machine Daily for Cardio 3-4 days per week
Stationary bike on off days
bodyweight and resistance band workouts (PT recommended)

Does anyone else have any other ideas on how I can start re-training now before I am cleared to run (or jump or anything high impact)??? (I should be cleared around 5/5/13 at 12 weeks post-fracture.)

Replies

• leighann881
    leighann881 Posts: 371
    Options
    Guess not??
  • jturnerx
    jturnerx Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    If you have access to a pool, deep water running or swimming.
  • FitandFab33
    FitandFab33 Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    Your PT is going to be your best resource on this one- assuming for have a good PT- for several reasons: 1. ppl here will be hesitant to offer advice in a medically-related situation, 2. you proooobably shouldn't take medically-related advice from people here.

Take your time and let yourself heal... it might take a little longer but it's worth it in the long run. And sorry I don't have more insight, but after my knee replacement stuff, it took time and patience...
  • CristinaL1983
    CristinaL1983 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I had a couple ankle surgeries. Different than broken or fractured ankles because of the healing time and rehab involved. Moving around on crutches (long distance "walking") is surprisingly good exercise. Pilates can be pretty easily modified to for a non weight bearing ankle. Other than that, stationary bike and seated upper body workouts are about all I've got... Sorry :(
  • hatethegame
    hatethegame Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    If it doesn't bother the ankle,swimming would be an excellent way to go.
  • jjski88
    jjski88 Posts: 24
    Options
    I broke (moderately displaced fibula fracture - non-surgical) my ankle 2/3. I have accepted the fact that I won't be skiing the rest of the season sooooooooo I have my sites set on my summer sports.

PROBLEMS:
    I can't run right now because of lack of strength and range of motion in my ankle.
    I am out of shape. You can't imagine what being legitimately sedentary does to your body. It's disgusting.

PROPOSED SOLUTIONS:

Does anyone else have any other ideas on how I can start re-training now before I am cleared to run (or jump or anything high impact)??? (I should be cleared around 5/5/13 at 12 weeks post-fracture.)

Are you not running because of doctors orders?
    The bigger question is "What have you been cleared to do by your Dr./PT?"
    I cannot offer guidance without knowing the limitations your Dr. has imposed and for how long.
  • ji225
    ji225 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Honestly - bones take as long as they take to heal, but normally when docs give you a rough time frame, I'd add a bit!
    Are you in a cast?? did you have surgery?
    Are you now fully weight bearing?
    Did you have ligament damage?

Without knowing exactly what point you are at, I would say don't do anything cardio wise til you have the all clear, Then Swimming, or at least hydro therapy exercises in the pool will get you back to strength quicker and with less stress on the body than on land. Also you can run in the deep end of the pool with a buoyancy belt.

I am 16 weeks into a badly broken ankle with plate and 10 screws and its killing me not being able to be active for now, but walking on crutches is a tough workout, I do modified pilates, swim and exercise bike, whereas up to week 8 I could do nothing and was NWB, docs said 6 months to a year to get back to normal activity (cycling being the main one). I realy would like to make it 6 months, but I don't want to rush back and then cause any problems in my recovery that I might regret and which could stop me doing certain activities forever.

Listen to your body - it iwll let you knwo when you are ready to go back to certain activities.
  • bokodasu
    bokodasu Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    That's pretty much what I did, and I only had a stress fracture and a pulled tendon. I did keep up with all my upper body lifts and core stuff - anything I could do not standing - and you can do medicine ball stuff and rope climbs. I'm still rehabbing 4 months later.

I'm doing the May Warrior Dash and I'm not going to be able to run it, but I feel like most of the obstacles should be fine. I need a pinch runner and a golf cart.
  • leighann881
    leighann881 Posts: 371
    Options

PROBLEMS:

PROPOSED SOLUTIONS:

Are you not running because of doctors orders?
    The bigger question is "What have you been cleared to do by your Dr./PT?"
    I cannot offer guidance without knowing the limitations your Dr. has imposed and for how long.

FIRST NOTE: I am not looking for medical advice.

Sorry. I thought I was clear about my restrictions but obviously not :-) my bad.

I cannot run or jump by doctors orders. I can press and pull but no sudden impact.

I am looking for suggestions to boost cardiovascular endurance in prep for a race that I have been "cleared" to run 7/20 but cannot train for by running until mid-May.

Does that make sense at all?

I listed a few of my options: elliptical, bike, erg

Just looking to see if anyone is more creative than I am!

Also:
    Full weight bearing since 3 weeks post break. I was in a fiberglass cast for three weeks. I was then in a boot for 3 more weeks. I no longer have any hardware but I wear an aircast when working out.

Moderately displaced fracture, no surgery, no known ligament damage. Healing perfectly.

Again: I have been cleared to do anything that does NOT involve sudden impact on the ankle... so no running, jump roping, basketball, etc.
  • jjski88
    jjski88 Posts: 24
    Options
    Have you thought about doing the stair master along with the row machine? Both of these exercises work your cardiovascular system while also giving your legs a good workout. You can also add some wall-sits for 60 seconds and step ups with weights to give your legs low impact workout. If you are having pain in your ankle you can boost your cardio by swimming and then adding in some water running. I would also continue to work your core and add in some flutter kicks and bicycle kicks.