Love Handles While Running

Options
Hi everyone,

I'm trying to get into running after resisting it all of my life. I've never had a body that was conducive to running -- I carry nearly all of my excess weight on my bottom half. Today, I was giving running another try because my friend is coaxing me into signing up for one of those fun, themed 5Ks. I've been trying to lose weight and improve my fitness, so I'm definitely considering it.

Here's my dilemma: When I run, my love handles jiggle so much that it hurts! For me, it's mainly the area above the bum that is covered by the shirt area, not so much on the sides. With every stride, one love handle jiggles up and them slams down with the next. It's very uncomfortable! Today I was able to run a half mile straight (impressive for my fitness level!), only stopping because of this pain. I don't want it to hold me back.

If anyone else has had this problem, what do you suggest? I was looking into compression shorts, but I'm not sure that they go up high enough to help me with that area. Links to Amazon products (or other products that can be bought anywhere in the US) would be great if you have a particular product in mind!

For reference, I'm a 23-year-old female who weighs 166 pounds at 5'6" and wears a size 10.

Thanks!

Replies

• Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    You should run in a wet suit.
  • YellowBrickRoad11
    YellowBrickRoad11 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    If only it were acceptable... May get a bit warm though!
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    Spanx? Wouldn't it work to wear something like that? You can get some compression shirts to wear under your other shirt that might help.
  • Mainebikerchick
    Mainebikerchick Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    I don't have issues with love handles...just boobs...DAMN these Double D's!!!!
  • _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    Options
    Lycra undershirt?

I had a similar problem that meant I had to wear better underwear because of bouncing balls. I damaged some tubing.
  • YellowBrickRoad11
    YellowBrickRoad11 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Haha, oh goodness! Luckily, I don't think I'm causing any damage.... That sounds far more painful than my problem!

I checked on Spanx and they do have a fitness line. The pants I'd get are $80 so I may have to do a bit more research to see if they're worth it.

I think I may just have to scout out work out gear intended for women older than me-- that is, pants that have a more natural rise up to the belly button. Probably more comfortable anyway!
  • khall86790
    khall86790 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    I run in leggings (yoga pants) most of the time and you can pull them up as high or low as you feel like really if you get a good, light weight pair. Maybe try those?
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I wear a cheap pair of footless tights with a control top under my running shorts. I think they are made by hanes, they are spandex, holds everything in and was less then 10 dollars.