What do you guys think about Weight Watchers?

Options
124»

Replies

• devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    So much misinformation in this thread it makes my head spin!!!!!

Ugh. It is NOT just about counting points, and it does not allow you to eat whateverthehell you want as long as you track it, as one poster put it. You have to get all of your good health guidelines in as well - that includes 5 to 6 servings of veggies and fruits a day, 2 to 3 servings of lean protein, 2 dairy, and 1 to 2 healthy oils. If you do this, it's the equivalent of meeting your macros on MFP.

To be honest though, I have never found an instance of on the points system where it does not equal one point for every 40 calories, unless it's something really decadent like a big gooey cinnamon roll. Therefore, instead of using the points calculator, I simply divide the amount of calories by 40 to get the points.

As far as the zero point fruit is concerned, it's there to encourage you to eat an apple instead of a cookie, when the two items have equal calories. It did not hinder my weight loss at all.

I will acknowledge that most people who stop the program gain the weight back. The same goes for MFP. If you quit tracking and begin to eat garbage again, the weight will come back on. That's why I plan on tracking my food for the rest of my life. It's a habit now and it's like brushing my teeth. If money gets tight, I will bite the bullet and switch to MFP since it's free. I'm just used to counting points instead of calories, so I find it easier.

Yeah but one point isn't actually just 40 calories. Points are derived from calories to fiber to fat calculation. As another poster pointed out, a lot of people -- when they get close to their goal - have a hard time either getting there or maintaining -- there is a reason for that. The points system is NOT as accurate as actually counting calories.

And I personally know at least 7 people who went from steadily losing 1-1.5 pounds a week with the old system to losing .5, if they were lucky. Making fruit zero points and telling people it was to encourage better eating habits is laughable. Who benefits when weight loss slows from not counting calories?

I am not saying it's a horrible program -- but it has its flaws.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    IMO- just another form of calorie counting. I did online and was frustrated how small the database was. I often used MFP to figure out points in recipes and stuff. The barcode is also limited. I get everything on MFP that I got with weight watcher, but for free. I just really like knowing more about my food than just a point value. That is just what I need to be successful.

This. I was continually adding my meals into weight watchers.

Plus like it's been said, I was paying for something that this site does free.

I lost 50 pounds with weight watchers and then gained back 30.
    Their focus is more losing the weight and points counting than fitness.
  • Eileen889
    Eileen889 Posts: 117
    Options
    I am a lifetime weight watcher member and still go to a WW location twice a month to weigh in. Lifetime members only need to weigh in once a month, however, I prefer to check in twice a month as it keeps me on track. That said, I don't follow the WW points system as I prefer to count calories here on MFP.
  • Eileen889
    Options
    It's less than $20 a month for an online membership. I was successful with it. They don't require you to buy their food like Jenny Craig, nutrisystem, et al. I'd recommend it if you're just getting started. It works if you work it.
    Another nice thing about WW is that once you reach your goal weight and stay within 2 pounds of that you become a lifetime member and never have to pay for another meeting or pay a subscription fee for their online etools for those who prefer to count points over calories.
  • Eileen889
    Options
    I lost 50 pounds with weight watchers and then gained back 30.
    Their focus is more losing the weight and points counting than fitness.
    Actually, weight watchers does incorporate fitness into their program. Usually a booklet is given out in the second or third week of your membership that explains all about activity points and how to earn them. It's up to the WW member to decide if they are going to use that part of the system or not. Back when I first joined WW, I had a very good leader who talked about staying active at every meeting and I think this is why I was able to stay at my goal weight.
  • apcartwright
    apcartwright Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    The free foods would kill me I found out through myfitnesspal that sugar was one of my big problems and I have never had a sweet tooth but the fruits and vegetables I was eating more than made up for it.
  • RoadsterGirlie
    RoadsterGirlie Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options

Ugh. It is NOT just about counting points, and it does not allow you to eat whateverthehell you want as long as you track it, as one poster put it. You have to get all of your good health guidelines in as well - that includes 5 to 6 servings of veggies and fruits a day, 2 to 3 servings of lean protein, 2 dairy, and 1 to 2 healthy oils. If you do this, it's the equivalent of meeting your macros on MFP.

To be honest though, I have never found an instance of on the points system where it does not equal one point for every 40 calories, unless it's something really decadent like a big gooey cinnamon roll. Therefore, instead of using the points calculator, I simply divide the amount of calories by 40 to get the points.

As far as the zero point fruit is concerned, it's there to encourage you to eat an apple instead of a cookie, when the two items have equal calories. It did not hinder my weight loss at all.

I will acknowledge that most people who stop the program gain the weight back. The same goes for MFP. If you quit tracking and begin to eat garbage again, the weight will come back on. That's why I plan on tracking my food for the rest of my life. It's a habit now and it's like brushing my teeth. If money gets tight, I will bite the bullet and switch to MFP since it's free. I'm just used to counting points instead of calories, so I find it easier.

Yeah but one point isn't actually just 40 calories. Points are derived from calories to fiber to fat calculation. As another poster pointed out, a lot of people -- when they get close to their goal - have a hard time either getting there or maintaining -- there is a reason for that. The points system is NOT as accurate as actually counting calories.

And I personally know at least 7 people who went from steadily losing 1-1.5 pounds a week with the old system to losing .5, if they were lucky. Making fruit zero points and telling people it was to encourage better eating habits is laughable. Who benefits when weight loss slows from not counting calories?

That didn't happen to me, but then I started my WL journey with the Points Plus program. When I hit my goal weight, I was still losing 1 to 2 a week. I changed my points to their recommended maintenance, which is 35. I lost 10 more pounds. Slowly, I increased my points to 43, and finally stopped losing. I also make a point now to eat all my weekly points so that I do not lose any more.

WW changed the minimum last year to 26 points instead of 29, which if you include the free fruit equals roughly 1200 calories. There are dozens of threads on this board as to why 1200 is not enough in most cases, and I will agree with that. I started out with 34 points at 215 pounds and went as low as 29 points, which equaled roughly 1400 calories.

I know WW states that the points are based on fiber, fat, protein and carbs, but again, I have yet to come across where one point doesn't equal 40 calories when doing that calculation. So I just make it easier on myself, divide by 40, and make sure that I meet all of the good health guide lines.

I'm sure it does have it's flaws here and there - no diet is absolutely perfect. However, when I look at my old eating habits, they were atrocious. I'm talking McDonalds and Burger King daily with real soda. Sometimes even twice a day. I remember having ice cream for dinner once. No wonder I was overweight. I had no idea what a healthy diet looked like.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    I think its a good program that can work really well for some people. I'm not one of them. Been there, done that...bought the tshirt and burned that sucker. The WW approach, especially the going to meeting variety just brought out all the rebellion in my soul after the first month or so. Maybe the online version wouldnt do that, I don't know. BUT....I have MFP and it doesn't cost me anything, and it inspired me rather than annoying me. win.
  • Bonnieg318
    Bonnieg318 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I joined WW a year ago and have lost 33lbs on it and here I sit. I have been at this weight since the new year. I have tracked I have not I have given up and started over so many times in this last 3 months. No matter what I do I can't seem to get below this weight. I joined MFP to see if it would help me kick start another loss and well I have lost 4lbs since joining 12 days ago.

I can see myself letting WW go. The data base of food on here is so enormous it puts WW to shame. I don't have access to the barcode scanner on WW and I have used that more since I started here than I have looked up food.

WW was the boost I needed to start but this is the forum I need to finish. I recommend WW to anyone that asks but think for me it has run it's course.
  • baileybiddles
    baileybiddles Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    The free foods would kill me I found out through myfitnesspal that sugar was one of my big problems and I have never had a sweet tooth but the fruits and vegetables I was eating more than made up for it.

YES, this. I am over my sugar goals nearly every day which weight watchers did not keep track of. That's the problem. It doesn't break down the value of everything you're eating, it slaps a points value on it and you track it and you have no idea how much sugar you just consumed, etc.

I think it's a flawed system. I did lose some weight on it but I dropped it and came here.
  • baileybiddles
    baileybiddles Posts: 457 Member
    Options

That didn't happen to me, but then I started my WL journey with the Points Plus program. When I hit my goal weight, I was still losing 1 to 2 a week. I changed my points to their recommended maintenance, which is 35. I lost 10 more pounds. Slowly, I increased my points to 43, and finally stopped losing. I also make a point now to eat all my weekly points so that I do not lose any more.

WW changed the minimum last year to 26 points instead of 29, which if you include the free fruit equals roughly 1200 calories. There are dozens of threads on this board as to why 1200 is not enough in most cases, and I will agree with that. I started out with 34 points at 215 pounds and went as low as 29 points, which equaled roughly 1400 calories.

I know WW states that the points are based on fiber, fat, protein and carbs, but again, I have yet to come across where one point doesn't equal 40 calories when doing that calculation. So I just make it easier on myself, divide by 40, and make sure that I meet all of the good health guide lines.

I'm sure it does have it's flaws here and there - no diet is absolutely perfect. However, when I look at my old eating habits, they were atrocious. I'm talking McDonalds and Burger King daily with real soda. Sometimes even twice a day. I remember having ice cream for dinner once. No wonder I was overweight. I had no idea what a healthy diet looked like.

I agree with whoever posted above that people saw less weight coming off; me, prime example, I was losing usually 1.5 a week or maybe 2 if i was lucky. After a few months I stopped losing completely. Lowered my points, stopped using weekly points, stopped eating back activity points, nothing worked. So I stopped and came here and this week I lost 1.2... Not sure what happened there.

But either way, I think the bottom line is that for some it works and for some it doesn't. It sounds to me like you had tremendous success with the program and congratulations to you for that! You look lovely. :)
  • fattyfoodie
    fattyfoodie Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I have read a few of the comments and this is just my opinion. This opinion is based solely on the fact that I used to roll my eyes in disdain at the very mention of Weight Watchers and secretly feel superior to people who went because I could do it on my own.

Weight Watchers is NOT a scheme. Weight Watchers uses the points system, which is a calculation based on fat, carbohydrates, fiber, and protein in a food. Instead of eating, for example, 1600 calories a day, you eat 26 points. I like the points system because 26 points is somehow more real than 1600 calories to me.

Weight Watchers IS sustainable for life. If you go to the meetings, they teach you about portion control and making healthy choices. They talk about reducing the amount of sodium in your diet. But they also tell you that you have to live, and if that means using some of your weekly bonus points on pizza and beer, that is a-ok!

Yes, fruit and veg are "free" of points, but again you are encouraged to enjoy just 5-6 servings a day. For me, if I go over 6 servings of fruit and veg a day then I calculate the points value and count it.

Weight Watchers offers a wonderful community. I go at my workplace and have met some women who have become good friends. We support each other through our failures and celebrate our successes.
  • JenToms80
    JenToms80 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I have previously done weight watchers and enjoyed the educational side of things, particularly when I was heavier and trying to understand my habits and learning about portion sizes.

With weight watchers they promote the fact that is it really isnt a diet and about changing your lifestyle, I agree with this, and so when I got to grips with the plan I tended not to go to the classes but still worked with their principles but just at home - and not paying to me weighed!

:)
  • hard2befunny
    hard2befunny Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have done both ww and MFP and to be honest I just went back to ww. I don't go to meetings or buy the stuff they sell however I have the starter set I received from a friend after I finished nursing school a few years back and I still count the fruits and veggies with that. I had done ww after nursing school, the birth of my son and now again after the birth of my daughter. I was getting frustrated with the lack of progress I was making after the first of the year and that's when I was introduced to MFP. The first week I lost weight and thought I found the answer however since then I have pretty much plateaued. I gave it 5 weeks of staying within my calorie, fat, carb, protein goals, etc. and working out almost every day. Still nothing. Then I decided to go back to the ww (at least I was losing something!) and see how close my mfp numbers were to my ww points and what I learned was that not all calories are created equal :noway: . I have to say both programs have similar features but ww does teach you what foods are 'good' food (even if I have no idea how many calories I eat a day :wink: ) and mfp has a wonderful database full of information, which I use to figure out my points. I was eating some things on mfp that I would have never considered on ww in the past because as long as I was in my number goals I would lose weight....WRONG :grumble: In the end....stick to what you know and what works for you...me it's ww and as long as I don't have anymore kids I should set :happy: