My name is Sarah, and I'm a compulsive eater

Options
I know I'm not the only one out there. Anybody here who has conquered their compulsive overeating? What strategies have worked for you? I know for me, the easiest way to avoid overeating is not buying any of my trigger foods--chocolates and super carb-y sweets like pastries, cookies, etc. I also do better if breakfast and lunch are low carb and I get most of my carbs in at supper time.

Replies

• castell5
    castell5 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I put a POST IT written in red marker on my computer with a truthful statement. "I want to be thin, I feel BETTER when I am thin" and I truly do.
    Pulling the reins in at meal time is hard. It's a shame our bellies don't register as "full" quicker then they do. Eat a portion that is working with your calorie intake using MFP, and then WALK away from the kitchen or food, or where ever you are eating. Let the meal you ate hit bottom, then, if in a 1/2 hour you find you are still truly hungry, go get a protein bar.
  • annepage
    annepage Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    Not having the food around the house is the best way. Also, not waiting until you are famished to eat. Chewing gum also helps.
  • ripemango
    ripemango Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    i feel that drinking water helps me stay satiated and feeling full.

some days you get the bear, and some days the bear gets you.

I strive to have more optimal days than not. when i have a day that i feel wasn't how i want it to be I try to evaluate it and think of what i could do differently when i will be in that situation again.

i recently moved the reese's mini cups to the cabinet we are keeping DD's easter stuff in. i really like them but i struggle w having a reasonable amt so by moving them to her cabinet that is for Easter stuff, I haven't had 1.
  • Chewing gum, ice chips, a cup of tea with no sugar/milk.

Those tend to help me lay off the cravings.

Also, slowing down how fast I eat. When I'm hungry, and I mean, REALLY hungry, I will wolf down food.
    But it takes 20 minutes + for your stomach to know when you've eaten, so make a meal last 20 minutes before seconds.
  • lilpoindexter
    lilpoindexter Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Log every single thing you eat, record all of it, even if it's difficult to do so. If this won't change your habits, nothing will. I used to eat when i was hungry, or thought I was hungry, but after 18/19 months in the struggle, I don't eat out of boredom anymore...I feel I have control now, at least more so, than i used to have. Like everyone else, i've fallen off the wagon, but i didn't let a little setback turn into defeat.
    It's also helped me to just not buy crap foods. Other people in the house still bring the chilli cheese fritos and ding dongs in the house, but I do my best to resist them. If you have to go over on your calories, it has to be better to go over on grapes, rather than choclate chip cookies, right?
  • Foleydelphia
    Options
    For the last two weeks I have been adhering to a strict diet----a lifestyle change as I have called it.

I have never attempted to consciously eat healthy, until now.

Two nights ago, I justified cheating through my steadfast dedication over the past 2 weeks.

1 whole 16" pizza from my favorite joint 7 blocks away. It felt amazing.

The next day it didn't however.

I feel your pain.