Do you tell everyone?

Options
What are the pros and cons of making it known you are trying to lose weight?

Replies

• BethBent
    BethBent Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I do, I find that if I make sure I make my posts, I tend to cheat A LOT LESS:laugh: Beth
  • tuckerrj
    tuckerrj Posts: 1,453 Member
    Options
    Let 'em know. It's called "accountability". If you keep it a secret it's easier to cheat or give up.
  • Taterpoof
    Taterpoof Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Everybody knows that I am trying to get fit. I eventually want to get into physical therapy and personal training so to increase my chances of this job I have to be in shape.
  • sriley721
    sriley721 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Everybody knows that I am trying to get fit. I eventually want to get into physical therapy and personal training so to increase my chances of this job I have to be in shape.

Sounds like you have great motivation and a method to maintain your goal.
  • Fit_Mama84
    Fit_Mama84 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I don't make a point of telling people, but I don't hide it either. If you tell people, it can be helpful to keep you accountable, but it also opens you up to alot of opinions that you never asked for. Ultimately I just do my own thing and if people ask me about it I'm more than happy to share.
  • Taterpoof
    Taterpoof Posts: 416 Member
    Options

Sounds like you have great motivation and a method to maintain your goal.

Thanks =) It's kind of like homework. Have to keep up with it otherwise you won't pass and good a good job. In my case it really IS my homework.
  • sunshine4jess
    sunshine4jess Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Let 'em know. It's called "accountability". If you keep it a secret it's easier to cheat or give up.
    I agree! More motivation and hopefully more support!
  • aubreybouck
    aubreybouck Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I don't make a point of telling people, but I don't hide it either. If you tell people, it can be helpful to keep you accountable, but it also opens you up to alot of opinions that you never asked for. Ultimately I just do my own thing and if people ask me about it I'm more than happy to share.

I dont tell every one, either, because I get too many "Why, you already look great!" or "its about time" Both of which turn me off, and put me down, even if they dont mean to. If people see me working out, and are interested, im more than happy to tell them, but otherwise, I keep it to me and my family.
  • MayaSPapaya
    MayaSPapaya Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    I tell everyone, because it makes me actually want to stick to it. I want to tell everyone so I can prove it to them. I convince myself that I don't want to seem like I didn't lose anything to them, I want to wow them.
  • UsernameStillLoading
    UsernameStillLoading Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I only tell a few people. It's like a right of passage. If you don't know me well, why would I let you into my journey?
    Okay, that's total bull. I don't tell people because, well honestly, I think I will bore the crap out of them.
  • wendybird5
    wendybird5 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Every time I told people in the past, I ended up failing and gaining back the weight, plus some. Also a lot of people felt like it was an invitation to tell me how to lose weight or what I was doing wrong.

Then I saw this video and decided not to announce my intentions when I started on MFP: http://www.ted.com/talks/derek_sivers_keep_your_goals_to_yourself.html

It was actually a lot less pressure, it was fun to watch people notice the change and I knew it was genuine because they weren't expecting a change.
  • lsjd2000
    lsjd2000 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I don't go out of my way to tell people - mostly cause I have the problem with people questioning my food choices which kind of makes me grouchy - so I have a cookie with my lunch doesn't mean I "fell off my diet", it means that I had 1 cookie and not 10 which is ok. I have a few close friends that know but that's about it, some of which are also trying to lose weight.
  • nikb1983
    nikb1983 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Every time I told people in the past, I ended up failing and gaining back the weight, plus some. Also a lot of people felt like it was an invitation to tell me how to lose weight or what I was doing wrong.

^^^THIS!

I've started and stopped my journey so many times...I feel like at this point, if I made the big FB announcement, everyone would either blow it off or be waiting for me to fail again.

Nope, this isn't for THEM, it's for ME! I have the support of my husband and a few choice friends/family members and that's all I need. The rest will figure it out when they see me shrinking.
  • Cp731
    Cp731 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Options
    Why wouldn't you want ppl to know? :huh:
    There are many folks that would appreciate a heads up, you know so they arnt constantly asking you what ur deal is.
    AS in why you seem so happy
    why your looking so rested
    How you got in dem jeans
    Whats ur secret
    There are so many reasons the list is endless.
    Avoid all the small talk and get right in there
    Announce your goals and be proud your lifestyle is changing.
  • sriley721
    sriley721 Posts: 68 Member
    Options

Then I saw this video and decided not to announce my intentions when I started on MFP: http://www.ted.com/talks/derek_sivers_keep_your_goals_to_yourself.html

It was actually a lot less pressure, it was fun to watch people notice the change and I knew it was genuine because they weren't expecting a change.

Yes! I feel the same way. thank you
  • alitap
    alitap Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I tell those who matter to me, because their support is what i need, especially since i need to be with them most of the times. Usually, they tend to help you. For eg, my parents dont force me into eating what they eat, especially since ive worked hard at the gym, likewise, my boyfriend doesnt make me eat at restraunts that caused me to put on weight.

I do not bother telling other people who i least care about, because their opinions or actions do not matter to me. I started the weight-loss without their help, and im sure i can make it through too. These are the people who have nothing productive to do in life and simply comment on your actions, like when your fat they say "oh, you should start working out/you've put on so much of weight" and when you do work out and lose weight they go like "you've lost weight, you dont need to lose anymore/you need to eat properly and not be picky about food"

So i think it depends on whose support you need throughout your weight-loss programme.
  • JeneticTraining
    JeneticTraining Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Nahh, only close friends. Even tho some don't support me, I know they're struggling with their insecurities.
  • korinapayne
    Options
    I am always afraid that if I tell people and then fail, I look foolish.
  • Pamko57
    Pamko57 Posts: 182
    Options
    I've really gone way out on a limb and post my exercise minutes and calories burned for the week on Facebook. Public accountability. It really only started out as a check in from my bike with minutes each day, but since I'm actually doing everyday, that's too often to post, so a few months ago, I started doing the weekly check in with a picture of my minutes/calories. I've gotten a lot of support, and I've been told I've inspired several people. A dear friend says she bought her bike, because "we've always been so competitive." Not true. I'm not in any way competive, but whatever motivates her is cool with me.

I've had a few people be negative, but mostly people are supportive. Of course, some say nothing. My dil and son saw me in person and said NADA about the 40-ish pounds gone at that time. (I know it says 44 on my ticker, but my actual total is 60. I lost the rest before I found MFP.)

I've found that on days when I don't feel like working out or I think, "well, I could just do 30 minutes or 40" instead of my 50, I remind myself that come Saturday, I'm going to post that picture on FB. And, yeah, I could lie, but that's a place I don't want to go.

Everyone is different, so whatever works.
  • NanaWubbie
    NanaWubbie Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Pros...lots of support.

Cons....unsolicited stupid personal specific questions...how much do you weigh? I don't mind sharing how I am losing weight, it is no one's business what my weight actually is.