do i need protein?

Options
2»

Replies

• jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    BMI is a function of weight and height and nothing else. BMI gives no indication whatsoever of lean mass versus fat mass.

Chances are you're somewhere between 25 and 35% fat. You weigh around 135 pounds. This makes your lean mass somewhere in the neighborhood of 88-100 lbs. 1 gram per lb of lean body mass gives you a target of 90 - 100 grams per day. That's where my recommendation came from :)
  • toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    Consume protein with every meal and snacks and you wont need supplementation. Whole foods provide other nutrients besides just the protein, so it is beneficial to try to get it from those. As a convenience you should use supplements.

The poster that mentioned BMI most likely meant Body Fat %. There are online calculators to guesstimate your %. Try using one of them on this website to get a guesstimate.
  • jjkarnitz
    jjkarnitz Posts: 55
    Options
    I agree with jonnythan about the MFP protein. For the first few months I didn't realize I could change the macronutrient ratios to what I wanted. I was going over on protein every single day and couldn't figure out why.
  • Pearlyladybug
    Pearlyladybug Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    BMI is a function of weight and height and nothing else. BMI gives no indication whatsoever of lean mass versus fat mass.

Chances are you're somewhere between 25 and 35% fat. You weigh around 135 pounds. This makes your lean mass somewhere in the neighborhood of 88-100 lbs. 1 gram per lb of lean body mass gives you a target of 90 - 100 grams per day. That's where my recommendation came from :)

:happy: :happy: ahhh makes sense! thanks again
  • deedster_a
    deedster_a Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I use a blend of pea, hemp and cranberry proteins with a complete amino acid profile that is unflavored, unsweetened and preservative free. It's easy to digest and doesn't really taste like much of anything, so it's easy to blend with your own fruits or cocoa powder or whatever flavor you want to make it.

This sounds like what I need. Do you have a name of this powder?