Long journey ahead of me--anyone else?

Options
I've been overweight for as long as I can remember, and finally at 29 and I very serious about getting healthy. As such, I've got a very long way to go. I'm talking years until I get to my ideal weight. I'm looking for others who are in the same boat for long term motivation, support, and comraderie.

A little bit about me and my journey ahead:

I currently take two medications, one for hypertension and one for PCOS. One of my main goals is to be off of my medication by the end of this year.

I love the outdoors and some sports and I'm looking forward to being able to enjoy them without getting winded after only a few minutes

My greatest downfall is probably white flour. I LOVE pasta and rice but hate whole wheat pasta and brown rice. I'm hoping to condition myself to eat them...someday.

Replies

• Shawneb66
    Shawneb66 Posts: 124
    Options
    Use your food scale and follow the 40/30/30...you will get it done!! Good luck on your journey!!
  • TyelinDesu
    Options
    All things are good in moderation. I thought that I would have to lose out an all the foods I love, but that's not true. I eat a little of what I like, I drink a whole lot of water and I exercise. I find fun exercises, well I use to, now I just run and lift a lot for volleyball >_> Anyway, if you like rice ( for me, it's mac and cheese) don't eat any serving bigger than your palm. That's a good start! I'll help to motivate you :D To the best of my ability.

Summer bodies are maintained in the summer and made in the fall, winter and spring. :3

Good luck and what ever you do, NEVER give up.
  • jennfranklin
    jennfranklin Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I have another 50 or so to lose.
  • lowcaloriecupboard
    Options
    Congratulations on taking the first steps towards a healthier you! Feel free to add me as a friend so that we can support each other throughout our weightless journeys. Mine is going to take some time as well. :)

Try combining white and whole wheat pasta or rice. Start with more white than whole wheat and then gradually add more whole wheat and less white... until its all whole wheat. I used to hate whole wheat pasta.... now I prefer it!
  • char418
    char418 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I don't like brown rice either - I kept trying and couldn't get on board even though I knew it was better for me. So, I switched to a completely different grain. Now I use quinoa for anything that calls for rice - stir fry, mexican, etc. I've used it for cold pasta-like salads too and have added it to things like chili. Good for fiber & protein.
  • kriaski
    kriaski Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Losing weight is losing weight, especially for those of us labeled "morbidly obese" This journey is difficult, but you already have the motivation. You will have bad days, but don't beat yourself up over them; at least you now know they are bad days. Just think of when you are 35 and you are so happy that you began when you were 29!!! Good luck!
  • cocochrisrabbit
    Options
    Some good advice I heard was, to eat whole grain..not whole wheat. I was surprised! I am 237lbs and sad so i am following the slim quick food guide and thinking about adding whey protein to my diet. I hear it's important to have the lean proteins in daily diet and using whey is good at breakfast. Good luck! If you have any tips or advice for me, I'd be glad to hear!
  • tnicmorris
    tnicmorris Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Wow. Thanks, everyone for the support. I'm actually excited about what we're all embarking on. I just want to keep that motivation. Thanks, again!:smile:
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    I still have a long way to go, as well. I find it easier to drastically cut back on starchy foods like breads, pastas and potatoes. I just don't have them with every meal any more and it is rare snack indeed that includes them. All of the flavor of spaghetti comes from the sauce, so I just brown lean ground turkey and add spaghetti sauce, without any spaghetti noodles. I use spaghetti squash for pad Thai, but don't like it with tomato sauce.
  • mattschwartz01
    mattschwartz01 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    I've been overweight for as long as I can remember, and finally at 29 and I very serious about getting healthy. As such, I've got a very long way to go. I'm talking years until I get to my ideal weight. I'm looking for others who are in the same boat for long term motivation, support, and comraderie.

A little bit about me and my journey ahead:

I currently take two medications, one for hypertension and one for PCOS. One of my main goals is to be off of my medication by the end of this year.

I love the outdoors and some sports and I'm looking forward to being able to enjoy them without getting winded after only a few minutes

My greatest downfall is probably white flour. I LOVE pasta and rice but hate whole wheat pasta and brown rice. I'm hoping to condition myself to eat them...someday.

I got 162 pounds to go. If you think about it, its not so bad. One year or so is a blink in the eye of a human life.
  • Maggie1moo
    Maggie1moo Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Hi, welcome :)
    Feel free to add me i have 70+ lbs to loose and am currently awaiting blood results for hypothyroidism so bit more work here too.
    Good luck :)
  • geckospot
    geckospot Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    HAES - health at every size!
    Welcome to the journey of your life, no one here gets out alive.:wink:

Good luck on achieving your goals but remember to think positively about even small changes and accomplishments.
    When I lost 15 lbs my blood sugar and A1c corrected themselves. Now I'm controlling diabetes with diet & exercise alone.

As for the white sugar & flour - all things in moderation. When I started measuring out servings it was amazing how much I had been overeating. If you can't moderate it then I suggest totally eliminating them for a set periodn then see if it is any easier to control/assuage the cravings.
  • ash8184
    ash8184 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I'm 28 and have lost 200+lbs in the last several years. I know it seems daunting, but remember that you are stronger than you ever thought possible, and with some dedication and lifestyle changes, you can get healthy! Congrats on taking that 1st step :)

Also... I used to be totally addicted to white stuff - floury, yeasty things like bread, pasta, etc. and now eating it actually makes me sick (but I do indulge in it sometimes anyway!). You might consider doing some kind of lifestyle change that would include cutting all of that out. "Clean eating" is a good place to start - fresh veggies, fruits and lean proteins with whole grains. You'll find that after 2-3 weeks, you don't crave what you loved before.

Last thing: eat to live, don't live to eat. I say this over and over to myself and it seems to be a good mantra :)

If you have any questions or need motivation, feel free to ask. I've been battling obesity my whole life so I have 24+ years experience :)

GOOD LUCK!