added cardio and gained weight...

gerard54
gerard54 Posts: 1,107 Member
I've been doing at least 30 mins of cardio a day for the past week. I've also added core work and sitting in the sauna after lifting. My diet is better now, so can anyone help me figure out how I am 3 pounds heavier than last week...

Replies

• fittocycle
    fittocycle Posts: 827 Member
    The word "sauna" caught my eye. I wonder if your body is retaining water after working out. Just a thought-I'm sure someone on these boards will have an answer!
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Maybe you've added muscle. I know that cardio isn't supposed to do that, but core work will, and when I do hard cardio, contrary to the doctrine that I'm not gaining, I get a lot stronger in my lower body. Measure yourself. If your waist is getting trimmer or staying the same, you aren't gaining fat.

Also, it's only 3 pounds. My weight can fluctuate that much in a day, so it might not be a real gain at all.
  • taryn_09
    taryn_09 Posts: 196 Member
    how have your weight trainings been? when you do cardio it can slow down the metabolism, so it might be a combination of that plus a bit of muscle gain if you're lifting. also are you weighing yourself same time, same environment? if not it could be water retention, or even the change in when you're hopping on the scale. i would wait a week & see how the number pans out. when it comes to cardio, ive become more a fan of HITT 15 min intense gets the job done :]
  • Did you switch something to cardio? Or just add it on top of your existing workout?
    Could be a normal fluctuation, or your body retaining water from all the sweating it out in the sauna.
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Have you also increased your water intake?

Intense cardio followed by sauna sounds like a recipe for dehydration, and then water retention.
  • passmetheducksauce
    passmetheducksauce Posts: 211 Member
    how is your diet bruh? proper dieting out weighs any amount of cardio you do. make sure you hit your target macros. if you need help with figuring out yur caloric needs shoot me a PM with your height age weight activity level and fitness goals.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    your diet has been pretty horrible. you barely log, and when you do, you're routinely over on sodium or under on calories.
  • gerard54
    I'm drinking a lot more water, I was hoping its just water weight. I added cardio because I'm trying to cut...
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    It's probably just water weight.. either that or you need to eat more.
  • gdrenzek
    gdrenzek Posts: 2 Member
    Muscle weighs more that fat. You will reshape your body by doing core strength. Burn calories with cardio but not on the same day. I usually alternate.
  • BenKnowsFitness
    BenKnowsFitness Posts: 451 Member
    Last week I did 10 hours of cardio and a few days of lifting too. I am up 5 pounds today :smokin: . I've been at this for 2 years and I have kept it off. Previously I've seen massive fluctuations (10 pounds up -10 pounds down) with no connection to my activity. All I know is the average over time will come down if you truly burn more than you consume.
  • suv_hater
    suv_hater Posts: 374 Member
    Your header is "I love donuts"

Need I say more?
  • gerard54
    Your header is "I love donuts"

Need I say more?

haha it helps me deadlift 425...