would i be dehydrated even after having the normal 8 glasses

kalebsmama07
kalebsmama07 Posts: 503
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
would i be dehydrated even after having the normal 8 glasses of water?

Replies

• this is daily i how much i get in at least!
  • Granny2b
    Granny2b Posts: 91
    If you exersise a lot you need more water:flowerforyou:
  • DanOhh
    DanOhh Posts: 1,806 Member
    The 8 glasses is for everyday non-active water intake so if you are exercising you need to intake more water.
  • stroutman81
    stroutman81 Posts: 2,474 Member
    It's important for people to realize that there are no universal answers to questions like this. When it comes to the body and exercise/diet.... you need to provide context when asking questions. This is highlighted by the responses you've seen to your question.

The answer to blanket questions is always, "it depends."

I promise I'm not trying to rag on you. Not at all. I'm trying to help you save time and receive quicker/better help.
  • kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    Yeah. I have to drink more like 13 or 14 on the days I run. I was very sick after running 2 miles a few weeks ago because I didn't drink enough. I learned my lesson.
  • gurgi22
    gurgi22 Posts: 182 Member
    Check your urine. If it is clear then you are getting enough water. Also, weigh before and after exercise, any weight lost during exercise should be replaced with water, because it is just water weight. *Immediately before and after exercise, especially when you are sweating a lot or out in the sun.
  • The norm is 8 glasses, but that is just for good kidney function. If you are doing exercise you should drink as much as your body asks for. If you are out in the sun for long periods of time, 8 glasses is not enough, since the sun dehydrates you. Salt also plays a factor with water retention, and that time of the month cycle, too.
  • tkcasta
    tkcasta Posts: 405 Member
    There is no perfect answer, but this website might help you. Personally, I drink a ton of water because I'm active all day long.

http://nutrition.about.com/library/blwatercalculator.htm
  • lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    Just for clarification, 1 glass of water equals to 8 ounces. The recommendation has long been 64 ounces (8 glasses) a day. But a better rule of thumb is to drink at least half your body weight in ounces. So if you're at 158, that would be 79 ounces of water or almost 10 glasses a day.

And, yes, it's possible if you're drinking 8 glasses of water each day to still be dehydrated due to numerous factors, such as rigorous workouts and eating too much sodium. Just things to keep in mind. :happy:
  • lulabellewoowoo
    lulabellewoowoo Posts: 3,125 Member
    My goal everyday is to drink enough water in the morning to NOT need to drink while exercising. Then I will drink afterward. But if I am having to stop and get a drink one to two times during the hour of exercise, I know I didn't drink enough earlier on in the day.
  • miqisha
    miqisha Posts: 1,534 Member
    I agree with what everyone has said...Drinking eight 8oz of water everyday is for regular people who dont work out.

If you are active then you need alot more than eight 8 oz of water

It also depends on your body weight as well...as someone above did provide a website to use, to determine how much water your body needs.

I personally drink atleast 96 oz of water each day because I work out for 90 minutes doing a 6 mile jog/power walk

So it depends on alot of factors
  • hill242
    hill242 Posts: 412 Member
    Are you thirsty? Is your urine dark yellow (keep in mind, though, that some vitamins/supplements will alter urine color)? Is the flesh around your eyes puffy? Saying "everyone drink 64 oz a day" or "drink 1/2 your bodyweight in oz a day" is commonly passed around but has anyone ever really researched it?

Please take a minute to read this article:

http://www.snopes.com/medical/myths/8glasses.asp

Even medical researches aren't sure why that recommendation is so prevalent -- they don't even know where it came from originally.

Please note I am NOT saying don't drink water. You should drink water if you are thirsty or have been sweating. You should not drink water because someone said you need X amount a day. (We also get hydration from our foods, too.)
This discussion has been closed.