How to firm excess skin?

Options
Alright. I've been losing weight rather rapidly. Five pounds a week to be exact, which I'm happy with since I have a long way to go to my ideal body weight. I'm 293 right now and I'm on my way to being 130! My only concern is the excess skin that I might get. That terrifies me. I definitely don't want a "tongue" like in the movie Click. So how can I firm up the flab?

Replies

• lobo_a_gogo
    lobo_a_gogo Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Make sure the entire time you're drinking LOTS of water (upwards of 64 oz/day), do strength training (not just cardio) and cocoa butter daily!
  • I haven't tried but my girlfriend swears it works. Cling wrap. She wraps herself up for one hour three times a week with cling wrap.She says she gets better results than those body wrap things.
  • Nikki31104
    Nikki31104 Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I need to keep my eye on this post. I am terrified of the loose flapping skin.
  • lobo_a_gogo
    lobo_a_gogo Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried but my girlfriend swears it works. Cling wrap. She wraps herself up for one hour three times a week with cling wrap.She says she gets better results than those body wrap things.

I tried one of those professional wrap, it did help with a slight bit of firmness, but I don't think it was permanent. Also, I cant say for certain, but the cream stuff definitely smelled like tea tree oil.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    lose weight slowly to avoid the saggy skin as much as is possible. I know from experience.
  • BaconMD
    BaconMD Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    Lift heavier.
    Eat more.
    Cardio less.
    Hydrate more.

That's about the best chance you have to let your skin rebound naturally. It's not a race to your goal weight.. Or at least it shouldn't be.
  • JeneticTraining
    JeneticTraining Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    I've had that problem.
    Cardio 3x week 30 minutes. Minimum.
    Massage cocoa butter everyday. Avoid high sodium intake.

It worked for me. Got rid of cellulite as well.
    It's a gradual process. :D
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    lose weight slowly to avoid the saggy skin as much as is possible. I know from experience.

^^^ This

It's not a race, lose it slowly, try to keep as much muscle mass as possible by lifting some weights and making sure you get a good amount of protein.

You can lose it fast - but that way increases the risk of loose skin - in the long run is it really worth it?
  • Icanhazsugarnow
    Options
    I want to fit into a bikini by next Summer. The only way to do that is five pounds a week. I just need to figure out how to avoid the skin flab...
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    I want to fit into a bikini by next Summer. The only way to do that is five pounds a week. I just need to figure out how to avoid the skin flab...

Honestly - think about how you want to look forever - not just next summer, and once you get closer to your goal you won't be dropping 5lbs a week.

Slow really is better in the long run - if you keep up 5lbs you also lose a lot of muscle and your daily calorie burn will be lower, making it even harder to reach your goal body.
  • julialou1979
    julialou1979 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    If intent in that speed, I've heard the one effective measure is surgical removal. Lots of biggest losers use it post competition. There's a reason they stop taking their shirts off in the later weeks.
  • BaconMD
    BaconMD Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options

Then you should have thought of that a year ago.

Seriously, you want the literal impossible.

Short of inventing a time machine, you have no choice. Rapid, unhealthy weight loss at your 1200 calories per day and 900 calories of cardio and have your flabby skin flapping out the sides of your bikini, or set your sights on summer 2014 or 2015 and do this properly and healthily and look good not only at the beach, but also in your bedroom.

I am sorry.

This is just how it is.
  • Icanhazsugarnow
    Options
    I think I'll just lose weight rapidly and then have the surgery to get rid of the excess skin.
  • marekdds
    marekdds Posts: 2,211 Member
    Options
    Think long and hard about this. Slower is better, healthy and more likely to stay gone longterm. The skin removal surgery you are talking about is $10,000-$20,000 depending how much is involved and is typically NOT covered by insurance. Best of luck to you, my dear.
  • Icanhazsugarnow
    Options
    I think I can handle it. My grandfather on my father's side is a plastic surgeon in Washington D.C.
  • surromom2010
    surromom2010 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I think I can handle it. My grandfather on my father's side is a plastic surgeon in Washington D.C.

ok, this is the kind of crap that po's me. Why did you even ASK if this was going to be your response...REALLY? I mean REALLY?? "slams door, I'm out.."
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    Lots of water, and your favourite lotion mixed with either vitamin e liquid capsules or pure almond oil.

Skin takes time to shrink just like it had to stretch...

Honestly, if your grandfather is a good plastic surgeon, he wouldn't even think of operating on his grandchild when she hasn't waited atleast two years. Dumbest response I've ever read
  • surromom2010
    surromom2010 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Lots of water, and your favourite lotion mixed with either vitamin e liquid capsules or pure almond oil.

Skin takes time to shrink just like it had to stretch...

Honestly, if your grandfather is a good plastic surgeon, he wouldn't even think of operating on his grandchild when she hasn't waited atleast two years. Dumbest response I've ever read

EXACTLY! completely unethical...
  • sPaRkLiNgLYFE
    Options
    at 5 pounds a week you're going to have loose skin by this summer, it will not look nice in a bikini, i suggest you slow down the weight loss and wear nice one piece bathing suit this summer. :flowerforyou:
  • Icanhazsugarnow
    Options
    I have been fat most of my life and I'm tired of it! The only time that I was ever thin was when I was two years old. I don't want to be this size when I'm thirty, so I'm sorry if I'm going a little overboard with the weight loss thing. I refuse to continue to be fat!