Potatoes and Bread

Options
124»

Replies

• Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Bread and potatoes are danger foods for me....once I start, I usually cant stop. So I have to be careful. Especially with mashed potatoes and rolls/biscuits. Its just easier for me to avoid them 99% of the time.
  • shining_light
    shining_light Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Potatoes are such a good source of potassium. I eat sprouted grain bread on occasion as well, but frankly, I feel like the calories are usually better spent on vegetables with fewer calories and more nutrients. That said, everything in moderation. I will never understand why people demonize potatoes. They're nutrient powerhouses. I eat mostly sweet potato these days and it's my primary carb, but I have nothing against regular potatoes.
  • Melo1966
    Melo1966 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Potatoes and Bread: Nom Nom:tongue:

My teenage daughters favorite is Potato Bread:drinker:
  • barb1241
    barb1241 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Potatoes are good for you, esp if you leave the skin on, nutritionally speaking. It's all the stuff you put on them that's a problem-butter, sour cream, butter, bacon, cheese, butter.

Bread-I eat bread a good bit, but not plain wonder-white bread. Never liked it. I get a kind with seeds and such andit has proetin in it even.

I don't think anything is innately "bad" or "good". It's all about what you do with it.
  • adorable_aly
    adorable_aly Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Tonight I had a small jacket potato with tuna and salad. Quiet healthy and lots of protein from the tuna. I agree that it can be what you put on these items that can make the calories go through the roof! Moderation, moderation, moderation.
  • karenhray7
    karenhray7 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    If potatoes and bread are demons, what does that make potato bread?

An abomination that will take over the world...or delicious. Either one
  • karenhray7
    Options
    My problem with bread and potatoes (and corn and pasta and rice and etc.) is that I don't want to stop eating starch/simple carbohydrates. I eat a sandwich, and then I want chips to go with that sandwich, and then I want soda to go with the chips, and after I'm done with that I'm like Carbzilla. I will continue to eat simple carbs until I feel positively sick. Then I feel like crap for the next week or so.

So for me it's not worth the binge cycle. Carbzilla might be happy and content, but dang! she's fat!
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    Bread and potatoes are delicious. Eat them.
  • SweetestLibby
    SweetestLibby Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    [

Both foods are poison. You don't just eat potato. You eat it with oil and sour cream and cheese. Unnecessary nutrients, especially bread. Drop both of them

Seems harsh

Perhaps, But look at this forum thread. Everyone who eats these foods either has to watch how much. plan for it and not eat something else because of exceeding their limits, etc... We programmed to eat crap, that's why we are here in the first place. 2/3 of us overweight for one reason or the other. Because government tells us food pyramid is good, because FDA allows manufactures to put 0 fat on a oil in a spray can, etc... UGH!! Would you not rather eat 5 cups of high-density low calories veggies and fruits in the place of potato or bread?

5 cups of veggies vs McDonald's fries or that sweat wheat bread with butter they give me at the Cheesecake Factory? Man, you better get those veggies out of my face.

:flowerforyou: ummm marry me? ...just don't tell my boyfriend.

I eat potatoes. I eat bread. I eat potatoes and bread together! always have and always will.
  • WannaDizzolve
    WannaDizzolve Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    i avoid both like the plague. same with white rice and pasta. i find them to be high calorie foods that mess up your blood sugar and provide few nutrients. also very likely to be gmo these days. you want carbs, eat beans or nuts. they have both protein and fiber. or just go wild and have some ice cream.
  • GamerLady
    GamerLady Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    No potatoes, no breads, no rice, no corn for me. I feel bloated and sluggish if I eat them.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options

pinkybrain2_zpsed0fa9f7.jpg
  • karenhray7
    Options

pinkybrain2_zpsed0fa9f7.jpg

You ARE thinking what I'm thinking!

FR sent
  • Babeskeez
    Babeskeez Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Tomorrow I am going to make roasted chicken and guess what I am having with it? Mashed potatoes. Drowning in gravy. :love:
  • fuzzieme
    fuzzieme Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    AWE, I love potatoes. In every form. Growing up, often dinner was just potatoes. Nothing else. AWE. Class.

But yeah, that's not a great dinner.

Tasty though :wink:

As an adult though, I'll have one small potato and savour it through two cups of mixed veg. My favourite dinner infact. And I don't consider it in any way unhealthy, but it's so good
  • fuzzieme
    fuzzieme Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Are they the demons some people think they are? Does anyone notice a difference if they elliminate them or curb them. I eat them, I'm married to an irishman and can't avoid potatoes but count it into my calories so dont see what difference if makes then. But curious as to some other opinions.

Both foods are poison. You don't just eat potato. You eat it with oil and sour cream and cheese. Unnecessary nutrients, especially bread. Drop both of them

Maybe you can't control yourself around them without adding copious amounts of crap, but some folk can eat them in a healthy way. Stay away from Ireland, the Leprechauns will eat your toes